Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Baby Luigi said:
Well, you know what the good news is? Spiny Shells are nerfed in this game. Unlike Mario Kart 7, they don't flip you over twice in a random direction, you just get hit like you get hit a normal shell, with an explosion effect of course.
Yessssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. I now know why people say Mario Kart 7 is slow...

I was just playing Super Mario Kart on virtual console when my gamepad ran out of battery (six hours non-stop (I got six different gold trophies :D)), so then I decided to play Mario Kart 7 in 150cc, it was so slow it was dull.

That also made me realize that Mario Kart 7 involves a lot less skill than Super Mario Kart...
Mario Kart 7 really is more about the items then how well you can drive, I hope it's better in Mario Kart 8.

Super Mario Kart also has cheap rubberband AI who infinite spam items whenever they feel like it. I'd rather have a fair, slower game than that type of crud frankly. Besides, Super Mario Kart's controls are ass compared to the newer Mario Kart games.

And by the way, items ARE part of skill in Mario Kart game. Smart use of items is much more important in Mario Kart than you think. Sure, it's luck-based at points, but most of your races are won not only by good driving, but smarter use of items as well. Really, the only times I lost in Mario Kart 7 are ALWAYS the Spiny Shell at the worst opportune moments, but it's something we all expect as the Spiny Shell is a hated but necessary item for balancing places. Besides, the Spiny Shell moments are quite rare compared to times I've won the race, triple star ranked. The worst I get are 2 star ranks these days. Even if I get blasted by a Spiny Shell near the finish line, the worst I usually get is 2nd place, but I never have a silver trophy in Mario Kart 7. That's unspeakable for me.

If you read the article I posted, perhaps it could give you insight to how Mario Kart 8 might feel? This part intrigues me by the way

First place no longer equals least weapons, and vice versa

Are you the kind of Mario Kart player who’s there for the fun rather than the racing? The kind who happily ambles around the track, bouncing off walls and only doing drifts because you like the little jump animation that comes before it? Are you unable to see optimum angles, or feel the ideal timing for a drift-boost? You are? Well then you’re almost certainly also the sort of player who hangs around at the back of the pack waiting for the better weapons to drop. And you’re now in for a big surprise.

Mario Kart 8 has no truck with that kind of nonsense. It seems to be eroding the franchise’s usual system of saving the better weapons (red shells, triple-mushrooms, lightning, etc.) for crap drivers. there is still a degree of scaling going on, the full spectrum of tools and power-ups is now spread much more equally throughout the grid, making top-ranking play more tense and reducing the safety net for those trailing. It’s all much more democratic, and entirely changes the flow of the racing.

Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario Kart also has cheap rubberband AI who infinite spam items whenever they feel like it. I'd rather have a fair, slower game than that type of crud frankly. Besides, Super Mario Kart's controls are ass compared to the newer Mario Kart games.

Yeah, the rubberbanning, controls and pretty much everything about Super Mario Kart caused me to quit playing it immediately once I reached Special Cup.

Baby Luigi said:

And by the way, items ARE part of skill in Mario Kart game. Smart use of items is much more important in Mario Kart than you think. Sure, it's luck-based at points, but most of your races are won not only by good driving, but smarter use of items as well. Really, the only times I lost in Mario Kart 7 are ALWAYS the Spiny Shell at the worst opportune moments, but it's something we all expect as the Spiny Shell is a hated but necessary item for balancing places. Besides, the Spiny Shell moments are quite rare compared to times I've won the race, triple star ranked. The worst I get are 2 star ranks these days. Even if I get blasted by a Spiny Shell near the finish line, the worst I usually get is 2nd place, but I never have a silver trophy in Mario Kart 7. That's unspeakable for me.

If you read the article I posted, perhaps it could give you insight to how Mario Kart 8 might feel? This part intrigues me by the way

Are you the kind of Mario Kart player who’s there for the fun rather than the racing? The kind who happily ambles around the track, bouncing off walls and only doing drifts because you like the little jump animation that comes before it? Are you unable to see optimum angles, or feel the ideal timing for a drift-boost? You are? Well then you’re almost certainly also the sort of player who hangs around at the back of the pack waiting for the better weapons to drop. And you’re now in for a big surprise.

Mario Kart 8 has no truck with that kind of nonsense. It seems to be eroding the franchise’s usual system of saving the better weapons (red shells, triple-mushrooms, lightning, etc.) for crap drivers. there is still a degree of scaling going on, the full spectrum of tools and power-ups is now spread much more equally throughout the grid, making top-ranking play more tense and reducing the safety net for those trailing. It’s all much more democratic, and entirely changes the flow of the racing.

That's a lot of text, why couldn't you qoute a small sentance instead. :P
I like having AI like that, it makes it harder. Yeah you're right about the controls, they're basic to the max. :P Yeah I know about smart uses of items, that's how I got the golden kart with VR, but I still prefer the good old way. I've also never had silver in Mario Kart 7, the grand prix is really easy.

I can't remember the last time I went off track or hit a wall in all of the Mario Kart series. I also drift for each turn, the animation is a plus though. :P I never hang around the back of the pack, or even drop back because a blue shell is coming, I think that ruins the fun. Yep, I just gave you pointless answers to your intro. :P

I just don't like how items shape each race so much in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart Wii, but Double Dash felt different somehow. :P

It isn't that much to read. Either that or my aspect ratio is making things look shorter than it really is.

I don't think having rubberband AI makes things any more difficult. Humans aren't robots like them; we are bound to screw up at one point and if we do, we're honestly screwed if the rubberband is too bad. That's why I consider Mario Kart 64 to be the absolute worst Mario Kart game in the series. Racing with the AI is just not fun when they're behind you all the time. Going far ahead is a reward for good driving.

Also, I think part of your criticism towards how the game has gotten easier could also attribute to you growing up and learning how Mario Kart works rather than the game itself getting easier. Control refinements are also a reason Mario Kart is getting easier, as well as more advanced technology. Should Mario Kart get criticized because it handles much easier and improved the controls from previous Mario Kart games? Of course not.

Again, if you're seeking a challenge, online play exists for a reason. Playing with other humans who also use their items the same way you do is a more ample challenge than playing against mindless bots. That's the point of Mario Kart anyway: the multiplayer is the main reason is far very popular and it will continue being played simply because of that very aspect. For me, though, casually strolling through the cups without any challenge is my cup of tea (no pun intended) and is my preferred method of unlocking things-Gold Part for 20,000 coins-rather than ripping my hair online for a little less 10,000 VR. I play Mario Kart for fun, not for a hard challenge. If I'd want a challenge, I'd seek other games, maybe other racing games, not Mario Kart. And I love bots more than humans. I prefer playing solo or with friends against bots than me pitted against people I don't know.

My idea for Blue Shells is to keep them in BUT, reduce their knockback capacity to that of the red shell.

3D Player 2004 said:
My idea for Blue Shells is to keep them in BUT, reduce their knockback capacity to that of the red shell.

Baby Luigi said:
Well, you know what the good news is? Spiny Shells are nerfed in this game. Unlike Mario Kart 7, they don't flip you over twice in a random direction, you just get hit like you get hit a normal shell, with an explosion effect of course.

I just said that literally just several posts ago

Do you want me to post video proof?

Am I that kind? Of course not. This will be a welcome change.

Baby Luigi said:
It isn't that much to read. Either that or my aspect ratio is making things look shorter than it really is.

I don't think having rubberband AI makes things any more difficult. Humans aren't robots like them; we are bound to screw up at one point and if we do, we're honestly screwed if the rubberband is too bad. That's why I consider Mario Kart 64 to be the absolute worst Mario Kart game in the series. Racing with the AI is just not fun when they're behind you all the time. Going far ahead is a reward for good driving.

Also, I think part of your criticism towards how the game has gotten easier could also attribute to you growing up and learning how Mario Kart works rather than the game itself getting easier. Control refinements are also a reason Mario Kart is getting easier, as well as more advanced technology. Should Mario Kart get criticized because it handles much easier and improved the controls from previous Mario Kart games? Of course not.

Again, if you're seeking a challenge, online play exists for a reason. Playing with other humans who also use their items the same way you do is a more ample challenge than playing against mindless bots. That's the point of Mario Kart anyway: the multiplayer is the main reason is far very popular and it will continue being played simply because of that very aspect. For me, though, casually strolling through the cups without any challenge is my cup of tea (no pun intended) and is my preferred method of unlocking things-Gold Part for 20,000 coins-rather than ripping my hair online for a little less 10,000 VR. I play Mario Kart for fun, not for a hard challenge. If I'd want a challenge, I'd seek other games, maybe other racing games, not Mario Kart. And I love bots more than humans. I prefer playing solo or with friends against bots than me pitted against people I don't know.

Well, you may not have liked racing on Mario Kart 64, but at least it did have a lot of amazing courses. I haven't got much of a challenge from playing Mario Kart 7 online, Mario Kart Wii is filled with hackers, and I couldn't set up an internet connection for Mario Kart DS.

I seek a challenge with Mario Kart mainly to prove to my older brother who's really better at it (we're long-time players), we're also both very competitive people, so that's are sort of fun.

The course design is good, but for today's standards, it's a bit on the outdated side. Luckily, Mario Kart 8 proves that it can make old things cool again by totally revamping them.

Then maybe you can play against better people in Mario Kart 7? I'm pretty sure you can go in communities where racing is much more serious. I'm no expert on online. Haven't touched the damn thing.

Potted Piranha Plant said:
I seek a challenge with Mario Kart mainly to prove to my older brother who's really better at it (we're long-time players), we're also both very competitive people, so that's are sort of fun.

"So that is are sort of fun" XD

Anyway, if you really want to prove who is better at Mario Kart, why don't both of you race each other? Take turns in time trial and write down your scores?

I don't see how being able to race against CPUs determines how better you are at Mario Kart. If someone wanted to prove they were better than me at something, I would ask them to prove it by doing matches with them.

And also, like BabyLuigiOnFire somewhat said, you could just be really good at Mario Kart.

chillv said:
Anyway, if you really want to prove who is better at Mario Kart, why don't both of you race each other? Take turns in time trial and write down your scores?
Time Trial times don't really tell you if you're good at Mario Kart or not.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
chillv said:

Time Trials just tell if you use a fast character/kart and know good shortcuts. You need to know how to dodge items, when to use items, how to slipstream, etc.

Time Trials is just part of the picture. Time Trials can be a good way to practice and master the course, but the racing environment itself is much different.

Petey Piranha said:
Hypochondriac Mario said:
chillv said:

Time Trials just tell if you use a fast character/kart and know good shortcuts. You need to know how to dodge items, when to use items, how to slipstream, etc.

Yeah, but it still does show at least one aspect of Mario Kart that you are good at. I'm pretty sure there are Mario Kart players who like to outdo each other in Time Trial. Especially considering there are Sonic players who like to outdo each other on time.

Either way, you know what I am talking about. Being able to race against CPU's on a certain difficulty isn't really showing how good you are at Mario Kart than someone else either. Like I said, real competition would be to play against each other in races.

What he is doing is most like playing the Classic mode in Smash Bros. to prove how better you are than someone at the game. A better way would be to fight against each other in some matches, not the CPUs.

Speaking of Time Trials, that is one of my favorite modes. Mostly because there aren't any racers or items. You just drive through the level going for your best time. I usually play this mode if I want to go on a "joyride" instead of racing.

Time Trials is probably my favourite aspect of Mario Kart.

Baby Luigi said:
The course design is good, but for today's standards, it's a bit on the outdated side. Luckily, Mario Kart 8 proves that it can make old things cool again by totally revamping them.

Then maybe you can play against better people in Mario Kart 7? I'm pretty sure you can go in communities where racing is much more serious. I'm no expert on online. Haven't touched the dang thing.

Compared to the Mario Kart 8 courses, every retro course looks outdated. :P
I haven't tried the communities before, I'll give it a go, thanks.

If this comes out on May 30th, which it does, I can't have it for my birthday because my birthday is on May 28th... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

SuperQueenChrysalis said:
If this comes out on May 30th, which it does, I can't have it for my birthday because my birthday is on May 28th... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Just ask for money and buy it when it comes out.

I recently bought a Wii U.
Previously, my parents wouldn't buy me a Wii U because it was too expensive.

By the way, I'm typing this post from my Wii U gamepad right now.

I don't have a Wii U, any way, and my parents won't get me one because it's "crap" and my dad hates Nintendo.

That's a terrible reason to not buy something for someone. Why would you refuse to buy something because of your own opinions on it. Like for example, my cousin likes Dragon Ball Z and Wrestling. However, I don't like neither of them, but if I could, I would buy him a Dragon Ball Z DVD and/or a Wrestling Magazine as a gift, because I know what he likes.

My parents are willing to buy anything for me as long as...

*I actually want it and like it myself
*They can afford it
*I keep good grades and crap

And because they can't afford one.

Oh, nevermind

I'm trying to resist asking for anything so I can get this game. However, it is getting really hard with all of these great games coming out or already out.

NES Remix 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Professor Layton Azran Legacies
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball

My sister said that she was supposed to give me the money for Tropical Freeze, but she is procrastinating. These are reasons why I wish I had a job.

Back