Worst mario games

Baby Luigi said:
I'm one of the few people who actually liked Super Circuit. Oh well, whatever.

I actually liked SC, it was my first Mario Kart game, and I guess since I was kind of young/didn't really have anything to compare it to, it was easy to look past it's shortcomings.

I can't think of one I really hated, although I guess I never really got the bang out of the buck spent on New Super Mario Bros. 2

Chiaki Nanami said:
Timmy said:
Mario Kart DS for me. It was terribly BLAAAAAAAND.

Mario Party 5 & Mario Party 7 are also worth mentioning for me; I hate 7 more, but the main reason I hate them is because it's slow as hell AND the Party mode was really bad. Mario Party 9 actually wasn't so bad for me though. :p
How is Mario Kart DS a bad game? It's the second best Mario Kart title out there in my honest opinion.

Also, Mario Party 5 had Super Duel Mode, skill-based minigames and although the boards weren't that large, they were still neatly made. I mean, it's the only game you can throw Mushrooms out everywhere and people can land on them and stuff. That's pretty awesome if you ask me. Granted, I have nostalgia from it, so my views may or may not be clouded because of that. Also, while I was hateful of Mario Party 7 for a while, I rethought my stands on the game and found out I liked it more than Mario Party 4, and god dang I loved that game. Mario Party 7 has excellent music, awesome minigames and the boards — minus Pyramid Park, that is — are awesome.
Without getting into a flame war... Here goes a long post.
*ahem*

I can't stand Mario Kart DS. The courses were pretty boring and I feel the retro courses that were brought back were just... wasted (I guess you could say?) on this game. I would've much preferred it if Baby Park was in MKWii, so it'd be hectic. But sadly, it was wasted in this game where it's just very boring.

Retro courses were also lacking some features/shortcuts, like the tunnel in Yoshi Circuit or being able to go on the side of the bridge in Mushroom Bridge. It didn't have the touch as playing the course in the game it originated from.

Another thing I hated about MKDS was it introduced THE FUCKING BLOOPER. That item does not help you AT ALL, and wastes an item space on you which forces you to wait until the next item box to get another item after you use the Blooper. I've been screwed over just for getting a Blooper at the last item box. -___-

Local multiplayer was pretty bad. There were only 8 courses (IIRC) to choose from, and your friends need another DS to join... So it's rare to play with others, for me. It's just a lot easier to have more controllers, rather than having another system required. =P
I guess I'm a bit more bias against the handheld versions since local multiplayer isn't as common, and not a lot of people I know have a DS, so... uh yeah. =P

However, I did like the idea of mission mode. :p

Mario Party 5's mini-game were pretty awesome (Mario Mechs, Fish Upon a Star, Pushy Penguins, Cage-in Cookin, Rain of Fire, etc.) and I find only Mario Party 9's mini-games outclass them and a few other mini-games in the series (like Snowball Summit from Mario Party 3, Granite Getaway from Mario Party 6, etc.). Super Duel Mode and the Bonus mode were also cool, and I liked they brought back the Star Spirits from Paper Mario. =P

However, that's all the fun there is for me (and not so much fun). It's mainly boards I play on, and Mario Party 5's was just terrible. The music for them was decent, but Capsules really ruined it for me. Capsules, I find, honestly hurt you more than they help you. Firstly, the only way to obtain them is through the Capsule Machine, and that is COMPLETELY random. You have no choices, it's random. And more often then not, I will have a Capsule that can HARM MYSELF (Piranha Plant, Hammer Bro... etc.) so I either have to risk being harmed which can cost me in the long run, or just have an inventory space wasted for a long while. You also have to PAY to use a Capsule on YOURSELF. Why do I need to to pay? Why can't I just pay to purchase an item at a Capsule Machine? And I don't even get why they still make you pay if you use a harmful item on yourself (Hammer Bro, Mr. Blizzard, etc.). Setting Mushrooms on the board will more likely help your opponents than yourself, so I just find it easier to use items like those by myself.

The boards were also pretty bland; I just find they seriously lacked uniqueness. Happenings weren't all exciting, and having the Bowser and DK spaces being distributed to a random Red/Blue space respectively was just pretty weird.

Mario Party 7... Oh my goodness. I hated both (most of) the mini-games AND all of the Party mode.
Mario Party 7's mini-games were lacking in both quality AND quantity. Its mini-games were just boring, and the amount of mini-games for each category were below average. 13 4-player mini-games? 9 1 vs. 3 mini-games? Where's the usual 23 4-player mini-games, and 12 1 vs. 3 mini-games? (I'm letting 2vs2 slide since I think it came close enough to the usual lol)
Because of this, it made you repeat the same mini-game in the same Party Mode like 6 TIMES.

The boards were just awful. Bowser's events are already bad as it for landing on his space, but EVERY 5 FUCKING TURNS?! Every Bowser Time, we'd lose 10 or 20 coins, have a path blocked, or even losing a Star... that's not fun, that's just bullshit. Bowser Time can GTFO; I'm glad they didn't bring that back in 8 or 9. Orbs also had unnecessary nerfs/changes from Mario Party 6.

Why does Toady not give you the orb he stole from your opponent and use it himself? You know what to do with them, not him.

Why was Zap nerfed? Was 5 really too overpowered?

Warp Pipe should've been a Green Orb, now the one of the few ways to exchange places is to have Koopa Kid cause a swap places event. If you want to stop someone from going somewhere, the Thwomp Orb does a much better job.

Pink Boo I feel it was better as an event. =P

Koopa Kid Orb... Why does another space have to be added if we're smart enough to lower our chances of being screwed over by him?

Snack Orb should've been automatic like in Mario Party 6; you now have to predict if you'll be hit by the chain chomp within 3 turns, otherwise it goes to waste. -__-

Special Orbs were pretty unbalanced so I didn't like them. =P

Anser said:
It's strange... I don't get how people loved Super Mario Galaxy but hated Super Mario Galaxy 2. They're basically the same game but with (some) different worlds and power-ups. Can you tell me the reasons why you hate it? I'm really interested.

That's why I hated it

They basically re-skinned Super Mario Galaxy and it won Game of the Year crap.

Baby Luigi said:
Anser said:
It's strange... I don't get how people loved Super Mario Galaxy but hated Super Mario Galaxy 2. They're basically the same game but with (some) different worlds and power-ups. Can you tell me the reasons why you hate it? I'm really interested.

That's why I hated it

pretty good reason in all honesty.

It seems like a game with little effort, and for a company to proclaim it is a sequel is just absurd.

Man you know what was a bitch

Super mario kart

Its got charm but the controls escape me

Any other game I could possibly complain about is probably just one thing and I will admit the rest of it is p. cool

What I dislike about TTYD (since people wanted to know):
  • Rogueport is visually bland. I understand that it is not intended to be the most colorful place in the game, but there isn't much variety between sections of the town.
  • I am not very fond of the personalities of the game's partners, and many of them have abilities similar to those used by PM's partners (I would rather have the partners of TTYD all use original abilities). However, after playing SPM and almost finishing SS at this point, I've realized that I prefer the series without these sorts of partners.
  • I didn't think the "curses" were a necessary addition and didn't really like any of them, useful as they were in the portions of the game requiring their use.
  • I could have done without some of the additions to the battle system, most notably Superguard and partner HP. I never really felt a desire to use Superguard, and it's probably the fact that I've played PM a lot, but the addition of partner HP detracted from my enjoyment of battles.

This is all I care to list right now. If I can think of anything else that stands out to me, I'll add to this.

Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario 64 aged pretty badly.

dude you're younger than sm64 itself

you're the one that aged badly

That's why they're amazing (not so much NSMB2, which wasn't bad, but it's not the best game in the world. I did enjoy SMG2 much more than SMG, however).

Chiaki Nanami said:
Mario4Ever said:
That's why they're amazing (not so much NSMB2, which wasn't bad, but it's not the best game in the world. I did enjoy SMG2 much more than SMG, however).
m4e you are insane

It's not like he enjoys marios time machine or something. I wouldn't call him insane.

Zae said:
Baby Luigi said:
Anser said:

That's why I hated it

bro if thats your reasoning then nsmb2 must be worse than cancer

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario 64 aged pretty badly.

dude you're younger than sm64 itself

you're the one that aged badly

Why the hell are you comparing a nonliving thing that cannot grow and develop to a living thing that can renew itself? What's your freaking point?

Eh, don't see how SM64 aged that badly. I still love playing the original.

Smasher said:
Eh, don't see how SM64 aged that badly. I still love playing the original.

Well the camera is pretty bad and the game is pretty ugly now(although thats pretty obvious by its date and by being old 3d).

Controls are a bit wonky too.

But there is sm64ds which i enjoy way more anymore.

I think he doesn't even know what "aging badly" means.

I'll try clarifying what my point is because apparently, he didn't get it.

I meant that Super Mario 64 was ground-breaking for its time. It's one of the first games to play on a 3D environment with a dynamic camera. It's also one of the first 3D platformers. The graphics were superb, the music was phenomenal. Of course, putting it into perspective, this was all the way back in the 90's, where technology is still relatively developing.

From today's perspective, though, Super Mario 64 has wonky controls, highly unreliable camera, and pretty bad graphics. It's unfair to compare to today, because technology has evolved. Still, it has remained like this, of course.

The reason I felt this way is that I played Super Mario 64 DS first. That game is remade and has pretty much improved aspects compared to Super Mario 64. A better camera, less wonky controls (but the D pad doesn't really help), better graphics, etc. Compared to the DS version, the 64 looks really bad.

Oh and BTW, I was born in 1995. Maybe he should check up his facts before babbling out stuff that he has no idea of what he is saying.

idk, I'm not bothered much by the camera or controls and I don't really find the graphics ugly.

I'll admit that I enjoy the remake more, though.

yeah I think he is too.

Zae said:
Honestly I thought he was joking.

Joking or not, he hasn't contributed to this thread at all and the remark he made sounds like he was intending me to make me angry. He has also failed to defend WHY Super Mario 64 hasn't aged badly.

Super Mario 64 has aged badly, the technology isn't an excuse for it, look at Ocarina of Time or Star Fox 64 or Final Fantasy 7. The game fails to properly show you what you need to do, and the controls requiere a certain precision that isn't avaible in either the Nintendo 64's or the DS's movement scheme. The graphics and music and all of that can be excused for the hardware it was in, and I guess the camera too since it was probably the first time someone even tried making a 3D camera, but the core game also fails in being a good game. I wouldn't say it's the "worst" Mario game, but it certainly isn't one of its best, and if you think I'm wrong just look at Mario Sunshine, that game hasn't aged badly and that is because it actually shows you vital stuff like where the stars are beginning the level and normally doesn't expect you to go around finding secret places by pure chance.

...I do guess Mario 64's faults could be blamed on it's age, but that just means it's a bad game and we didn't see it earlier because "WOW guys 3D!", not that it was a good game that magically turned bad.

I dunno what you think, but I thought Super Mario 64's objectives were pretty straight forward. But then, that could be nostalgia influencing my views on Super Mario 64

That's actually something I noticed after playing it recently after a session of Mario Galaxy 2. In Galaxy, you know where the star is/where you need to go, and if there's a hidden star the path to it will probably be clear as day but not as focused on as the normal patch (not counting Green Stars), but in Mario 64 the only clue to get stars is the title of them (which, if you don't know the exact layout of the level, won't probably get you really far), so starting more or less in the second half of the game it becomes more of a "well, what do I do now?" game. For example, no where in the game is it stated that the slide has two stars, so the only way to know it would be by playing the game over and over 'till you get a time of less than 21s and discovering it yourself. Other example would be in Wet-Dry World: In the secrets mission I actually had to find a guide that told me where they were because the game provides absolutely no clue about their whereabouts. Or, in Tiny-Huge Island, the game doesn't tell you what you need to be in order to complete a star, so it boils down to trial and error.
Now, you could argue that these things aren't bad at all, because they make you think and explore, but that's like saying that it's better for your car to break down every time you wanna go somewhere, because it makes you think and learn how to repair engines before getting the desired result, which in SM64's case, would be the challenge of a platformer.
guys dont ever let me touch banjo kazooie

Back