Pokemon X and Pokemon Y

Politoed said:
Purple Yoshi said:
I dunno. I just...don't really want any more remakes. They just seem so cheap. And now it's almost become a tradition. I mean, come on! How many other game series regularly remake their games every 10 years or so?

I can get my Pokemon fix elsewhere. Maybe, instead of remaking the same games, they could...I dunno. Maybe make a sequel instead of a straight-out third version, like Gen 5? And I don't care if we have to wait a bit longer for a main Pokemon game, as long as its new and original.

Or maybe they can make a spinoff that's actually better than mediocre (I love Mystery Dungeon, but the story was the main thing I played it for. The gameplay was pretty boring)

I'm not sure how you can really critique Pokemon for this..are you aware what site you're on? Mario has been riding by on remakes and retries for a while now. Also, there's the fact that older games have a battery or something that dies out after like 10 years, making most older games impossible to either play or save properly. Sure, it's become a tradition now probably because you can't just remake a few generations and leave out the rest, but initially it served a physical purpose.

Hey, I'm still allowed to critique it! And that Mario analogy isn't really fair. For over 25 years, the game has only been remade twice, the rest have been re-releases. A proper analogy would be if every time a new console was released, they'd remake the Mario platformer from 2 generations ago and sell it at full price. They only did that....twice (Super Mario All-Stars and SM64DS. And at least SMAS had several games remade in it)

It's just that, I think the remakes almost gave me Pokemon burnout. There didn't seem like enough of a gap between main Pokemon games.

Purple Yoshi said:
Hey, I'm still allowed to critique it! And that Mario analogy isn't really fair. For over 25 years, the game has only been remade twice, the rest have been re-releases. A proper analogy would be if every time a new console was released, they'd remake the Mario platformer from 2 generations ago and sell it at full price. They only did that....twice (Super Mario All-Stars and SM64DS. And at least SMAS had several games remade in it)

It's just that, I think the remakes almost gave me Pokemon burnout. There didn't seem like enough of a gap between main Pokemon games.

Just because Mario games weren't remade in the exact same way as Pokemon games were does not magically make it so that it didn't happen. It's still the same premise. Also, "There didn't seem like enough of a gap between main Pokemon games." The battery thing craps out after around 10 years. FireRed and LeafGreen were released around 10 years after Red and Blue. Pretty sure that was for a reason. It personally burning you out is anecdotal. And ALSO, "They only did that....twice", well, so has pokemon. Two sets--FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver.

I don't mean burning me out for playing a game I already played before. I mean it burns me out because we've been getting a new Pokemon main series game almost EVERY year. I love Pokemon, but I do wish they didn't do so many remakes. And with the Mario thing, I mean 2 in 25 years as opposed to 2 in 10 years. It's a big difference. But I do understand what you mean. I just don't really like it that they've been making remakes. And that people are now expecting them to keep doing it from now on.

Anyway, 2 days to go! I'm so excited it's ridiculous. My final exams are 2 days after it comes out, so I won't have THAT much free time to play, but I think I'll just use it as a stress-reliever.

You know, with the Pokemon count...

Maybe more Pokemon will be introduced with the third installment of the generation.

I mean, they have been making the third installment more and more unique compared to the first two games, and so they may be only giving out 70-some Pokemon and then giving out much more in the third installment.

Or maybe Nintendo thinks that Mega Pokemon count as their own Pokemon, which is why there is only 70 when they might be thinking it is like 100 like with Generation II and IV.

Purple Yoshi said:
And with the Mario thing, I mean 2 in 25 years as opposed to 2 in 10 years.

have you even been alive 25 years? if you havent been alive more than 30-40 years, and played the original games and then also bought the remakes when they came out, I'm not sure you, or anyone really, are qualified to distinguish whether a 10 year time scale or a 25 year time scale is too long/too short for a rerelease. If you havent lived that long, i'm not sure you can reasonably make that judgement. i havent lived that long, which leaves me unqualified to make that judgement. but the demand is there. the market is there, if the fanbase grows up too much, they wont buy it anymore.

mario has been so successful because they release a mario game or two or three or more every single year. pokemon has been similarly successful because they release a generation every two or three years. keep the fanbase hooked, keep the fanbase coming back, and continually releasing new and expanded content is the key to success in the gaming industry. Mario and Pokemon arnt online multiplayer games like Halo and COD and stuff like that, they cant make money off of charging you online subscription fees. they have to make money off of releasing entirely new games, and for the most part, both fanchises have released top quality games to date.

sure, mario has had some stumbling blocks, but thats because its that much huger and has been around that much longer. pokemon has actually released games and spinoffs at a slower rate, even with counting the console games and the mystery dungeon spinoffs. and if you're talking about main series games, I'm pretty sure mario has more of those than pokemon anyways, so if you're going to be burnt out on one series, i'm not sure why it would be pokemon of mario. maybe mario is just more your speed? everyone has their own personal preference in games, theres nothing wrong with that.

and its not like pokemon (or mario) for that matter has sacrificed new releases and new content for remakes. pokemon has released 3 generations since the first remake came out, numerous spinoffs, countless pokemon, graphical updates, content expansion, strategy expanding, mechanical tuning, and introduced lots of convenient time saving tools and nifty bonuses.

its not like they're releasing the same game every 10 years with updated graphics. each release is its own unique game, heck, hg/ss introduced a whole "traveling gym leaders" subplot after the main johto journey, rather than simply reusing the kanto plot.

and i see you're excited for the new games, so apparently you're not that burnt out on pokemon. :3

You've done it, Game Freak. You have created the greatest Mega Evolutions.

Say hello to Mega Tyranitar and Mega Aggron!

corocoro11132.jpg

And now properly introducing: Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar!

corocoro11133.jpg

Mega Tyranitar, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Aggron, Mega Gengar, Mega Charizard and Mega Blaziken

THAT SHALL BE MY MEGA TEAM

I think my team will be mainly lead by Greninja and Mega Charizard X. My other Pokemon will be decided as I traverse through the game, as it always has been, but these two are the finalists.

greninja, maybe venusaur, maybe blaziken, gourgeist, goodra, maybe aegislash

i feel like i'll probably end up going with those six even with all those maybes

I'm not burnt out on Pokemon simply because....*check* Wait, Black and White 2 came out a year ago? I can't believe that. It feel like much longer.

I haven't decided my team yet (except Fennekin). It'll be fun. I'll probably look at a Pokemon, say "wow, that one looks cool", and check the base stats and type on serebii. If it's reasonable, I'll just put it in my team.

my team this gen will be sylveon, sylveon, sylveon, sylveon, sylveon and a shiny sylveon.

Michael Myers said:
You can only have one mega in your team for a battle.

Yeah that's the biggest flaw with the new mega system. Then again, they can't use any berries, choice items, or any other kind of held items.

On another subject, Mega Aggron, being a pure Steel-type, does mean that it no longer gets STAB for Head Smash, but seeing as its ability is Filter, it can't use that attack without taking serious recoil damage anyway. Also, I guess being a pure Steel-type does help Mega Aggron take more Fighting-type and Ground-type attacks.

I find it weird that the Larvitar line is exclusive to Y, and the Aron line is exclusive to X, yet the Mega Stone for Tyranitar is in X, and the Mega Stone for Aggron is in Y.

It forces you to trade and use the features the system has to offer. It's a great idea.

MEGA AGGRON <3

Seeing the official art makes it so much cooler. Eh, I'm getting Y, but I'll just migrate my cherished Aggron from White when the bank is online.

DragonFreak said:
Politoed said:
It forces you to trade and use the features the system has to offer. It's a great idea.
That's a terrible idea. The one thing I don't like about Pokemon: trading.
Its a great idea, in terms of marketing. It encourages the use of the trade system; and doing things like that is nothing new. Its why you can only get Weedle in Blue and Caterpie in Red.

You see, I never have the means to trade with anybody. That's pretty much it. I love playing Pokemon, and I would love to have the goal to collect every single one of them, but with the trade evolutions and Pokemon specific regions always prevent me from doing so. I feel like it's the one flaw that they should stop doing.

Back