New Rumor: Namco-Bandia Insider Reveals Some Details?

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
I didn't know where else to post a topic like this, so I'm making a new one. As you can tell from the title, a new rumor that has emerged. I don't want to build up false hope in case it's fake, but I feel like it's at least worth sharing, since it doesn't actually confirm when the game is going to be released, or even what the final roster is, not to mention it's said the details aren't concrete and subject to change. Still, take this information with a grain of salt.

So I saw this article here:

http://www.examiner.com/article/rumored-super-smash-bros-4-characters-and-stages-revealed

Which mentions a post on Smash Boards:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330948

Which mentions a post on GameFAQs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64901335

That a guy who apparently works for Namco-Bandai got a hold of some information about the Wii U version of the game... Here's his exact post:

I work at Bandai-Namco, specifically in PR regarding their various fighting-game series (currently I am involved in helping deal with some licensing issues regarding a popular manga fighter that Namco-Bandai is hoping to release in the West...), and have learned various bits and tidbits of early info from coworkers involved in the Smash 4 development. Nothing super-concrete, and all this info is subject to change, but here is what I have learned.

* The Anniversary of Brawl's release in Japan will have a special Nintendo Direct focused on Smash 4. I don't think it will have a trailer included, but I am not sure. From what my friends have speculated, it may just be a retrospective on the Smash Series as a whole with a sliver of new info released.

* Little Mac and Takamaru were two of the first characters chosen for Smash 4, both being classic characters that have since experienced a revival via Punch Out Wii/Nintendo Land and are fan favorites. They also represent West vs. East, which Sakurai is aiming for after the previous series strayed too much towards Eastern characters like Fire Emblem and Mother.

* King K. Rool and Ridley are also two characters that are being given priority as they too have a lot of requests. King K. Rool's design is said to have a new design that Retro contributed to (perhaps a new Donkey Kong Country is on the horizon?), and Ridley will apparently have a style of game-play that involves the evolution seen in Other M.

* Shulk, Dillon, and Ghirahim are currently set to be included, but they haven't been finalized like the four above.

* Platinum Games is interested in including a character, yet nothing has been finalized yet. Will probably be from Wonderful 101, but nothing is decided upon.

* Starship Mario, Giant Chasm (Pokemon BW2), Pushmo Park, and Cookie Country (Kirby) are levels that have been worked on.

* There's a second Yoshi representative who has yet to be introduced and will apparently be appearing in a new game coming out soon that Nintendo asked to be included. The rumored Yoshi Land Wii U? It's apparently Yoshi's new partner another dinosaur character. The name "Debu" has been thrown around, but I'm not sure if that's it's name or a nickname since that just means "fat" in Japanese.

Call me skeptical until Jan 31 or any other confirmation comes around... But if it's true, I'm glad to hear two of my top picks are already confirmed, and Ridley isgiven top priority, also good to hear. Dillon's also being heavily considered, this is just a bunch of awesome news... if it is news...

What really intrigues me is this new "Yoshi" character... Apparently from the new upcoming Yoshi game for the Wii U? Again, I'm very skeptical of this, but if it is true, just makes me all the more excited!

If it's all true, it sounds like pretty solid stuff. Though I feel like I'm not sure I'd approve of putting a character in a really recent character like something from an upcoming Yoshi game. Especially if there's better choices IMO that would make a nice 2nd Yoshi rep (Like say Kamek, even if in the games he never actually fought Yoshi himself). I guess it'd depend if we actually like the character. Even then I still feel like it's a bit odd. Who was the newest character in Brawl's roster? Lucario? Even then Lucario had a good few years of existence before he was put in Brawl. It just seems odd to give this character the high pedestal of a playable SSB Character already

This sounds fake to me. First of all I highly doubt they would be this far into development, and considering the new Yoshi character and Takamaru are set to be included, I can't really look at this seriously. Starship Mario for a stage? What are you going to do for that? And I'm kinda doubting the inclusion of Pushmo and Platinum Games in this.

It would be nice if it was true.

King K Rool, Ridley, and Ghirahim were on my list. And really excited for a new Yoshi rep, but I still was hoping for Baby Mario and Baby Luigi.

now remember

way back when before brawl was released

there was a female employee at hal who leaked some details that sounded too good to be true

like having wolf in the game

THOSE turned out to be true

so this might be real

Nabber said:
This sounds fake to me. First of all I highly doubt they would be this far into development, and considering the new Yoshi character and Takamaru are set to be included, I can't really look at this seriously. Starship Mario for a stage? What are you going to do for that? And I'm kinda doubting the inclusion of Pushmo and Platinum Games in this.
Actually, I could totally see a stage based on Pushmo!

Nabber said:
Starship Mario for a stage? What are you going to do for that?
Seeing how they did something similar with the Arwing in Brawl, I wouldn't say this is too far of a stretch.

Anyway, assuming that all of this is true, then it's about time they've made K. Rool playable. It only took like, what? Ten plus years?

I don't like the choice of a New Yoshi representative

I actually didn't realize that they're having a Nintendo Direct just for Smash 4. That gets me excited then. Hopefully they'll have some good details. And if not a trailer, they might have one saved for 2013's E3!

I think some of the characters (coughKingK.Roolcough) are too far-fetched to be an actual character. I mean, maybe as a boss in whatever adventure mode that'll have in the game, but I really don't see Nintendo as stuck up as they are (in a good way) would include those characters, let alone some unknown Yoshi buddy that we haven't even heard of (They should have Baby Mario in it instead (and all my dreams will come true)).

Little Mac and Takamaru sound believable, but we'll have to wait and see.

The stages they labeled I could see happening, but I dunno if they can be true or not.

And again about the Yoshi thing, Brawl didn't include many games that were released earlier in it (For example, Super Mario Galaxy and Phantom Hourglass).

What makes it so hard to believe whether it is true or not is the date. They give a specific date that says they will reveal information about this at that time. It makes it seem like if we think it is a lie, then the date would be wrong too. It just doesn't seem like they have really good evidence besides some words about it. Plus, some guy that works on the project just so happens to feel the need to reveal this information to the public. It makes perfect sense.

My thoughts:

I like the idea of a second Yoshi character, they series needed someone else other than Yoshi. Most of this sounds pretty cool, I like the stages that were mentioned, they sound sweet. Also, the characters sound good as well. I really like when they bring in new characters, because then I can try them out and see if I like them.

But I'll take this information cautiously. There's room for it being fake.

Nabber said:
This.

I can't decide whether it sounds fake or legit...
We'll just have to wait for more information to be released by the company themselves or when the games come out to find out.

I think all we can say is that the Nintendo Direct thing is real (At least I hope it's real). And everything else is questionable. We'll have to play the classic game of Wait and See.

Smashgoom202 said:
Actually, I could totally see a stage based on Pushmo!

More likely one based on Crashmo, if not both.

gamefaqs + a foreign PR guy being privy of a much-awaited game still early in development + random topical references (Pushmo! Random Yoshi's Island listing! Platinum Games! The kids love Platinum Games, right?) = lol

Nabber said:
This sounds fake to me. First of all I highly doubt they would be this far into development,

What characters/stages/items get in is the kind of thing that gets decided during production, so that isn't outlandish by itself-not that a PR person (much less a foreign one) would know it this early in development.

It ain't a Smart Bomb, so it's nothing worth noting about

I think it's false, because Platinum Games is about as big as Silicon Knights, Atlus, and LJN (Well okay it's bigger than that, but still) I don't think they need a rep

supermariofan said:
I think it's false, because Platinum Games is about as big as Silicon Knights, Atlus, and LJN (Well okay it's bigger than that, but still) I don't think they need a rep
If they did have one, how would you react (see what I did there :-p)?

Back