How could you improve a Mario game?

Shoko

Dry Bowser
Wiki Bureaucrat
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Shokora
What could you suggest to improve a Mario game and why?

Add Baby Luigi

problem solved

Add Waluigi to Mario Kart 7.

Just debug the SMB stories.

But honestly we don't really see Nintendo try to deal with some significant problems.

Uniju said:
? roster is a problem, but Waluigi isn't the only one with the problem.

Yup. That's the only problem. I guess they could remove Koopa Cape too while they're at it but that's not a big deal.

Uniju said:

How could they leave him out

Personally, what I really despise about many Mario games is when there is little rewards for completing a game. Like, in the GBA game Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, after the credits roll and the player returns to the title screen, replaying the file will just bring the player back to the end of the final boss castle, where I last saved. I was expecting some kind of bonus stuff but nope. It's like you never even fought the boss, as I still had all the items I used during the battle. It was the same deal with Bowser's Inside Story and Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

I could probably suggest a few similar things for the VB game Virtual Boy Wario Land, which is a great game for the most part. There is a total of ten treasures to collect within ten levels. It's those kinds of games where there is a map for how far you've progressed, but you can't really select levels to replay. The only way you could replay levels to to just walk back the way you came. After beating the game, I couldn't go back and collect the treasures I missed :-\ If you replay the file, you just wind back to the last boss, and it's a pain to make your way back. So one you beat the game, the file you're playing on becomes completely useless.

Cirdec said:
Add Peach and Daisy in New Super Mario Bros U.
Actually I would add Wario and Waluigi, with each character having different abilities.

Yeah, how many times has that Princess got kidnapped? :rolleyes:

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
Uniju said:
How could they leave him out
So again is Waluigi the only one absent in that time?
Someone has to be absent if the roster isn't big enough, unless some weird examples like Tennis Advance Tour.

NSY said:
Cirdec said:
Add Peach and Daisy in New Super Mario Bros U.
Actually I would add Wario and Waluigi, with each character having different abilities.
Old topic. Though the more the better, Wario bros are not prior due to their own Wario games.

Probably more fanservice (NOT the sexy kind) in the form of cameos and background elements will make A LOT of people happy. And its easy to do!

Maybe have Tatanga float around in the background somewhere, that would make so many fans squeal with delight!

Unfortunately most Nintendo developers do not care AT ALL about the characters or story in a Mario game. Miyamoto himself is actively against it. All that is important to him is gameplay and the easiest way to accomplish this.

That is why we got Blue and Yellow Toad instead of Wario and Waluigi. They aren't going to put in the time and effort to insert a character fans want, when there is an alternative that is easier and works just as well.

Just be happy we didn't get four different colored Mario's!

Koopaul said:
Unfortunately most Nintendo developers do not care AT ALL about the characters or story in a Mario game. Miyamoto himself is actively against it. All that is important to him is gameplay and the easiest way to accomplish this.

That is why we got Blue and Yellow Toad instead of Wario and Waluigi. They aren't going to put in the time and effort to insert a character fans want, when there is an alternative that is easier and works just as well.

Just be happy we didn't get four different colored Mario's!
If he's afraid that friend/rival characters would ruin the game, he should be responsible for it since he didn't stop those things at all. :???:

At least I'd ask whether Miyamoto himself is against Toad. Either for Mario bros, I think color change is a considerable choice.

Koopaul said:
I can't imagine Waluigi with his skinny and awkward frame jumping around in a platformer :D

YoshiKong said:
Koopaul said:
I can't imagine Waluigi with his skinny and awkward frame jumping around in a platformer :D

Their explanation was that they wanted all the characters to be the exact same size, which they did, but it'd be kind of hard to make Waluigi small and Wario not fat. I see what they mean, One of Wario's main features is that he's big.

Change the story up a bit, PLEASE. I'm not saying OMFG change EVERYTHING DRASTICALLY, but PLEASE stop using "oh lol Peach gets kidnapped again".

Seriously, Peach has gotten kidnapped for like the 5376215434th time and Mario just has to get to Bowser's Castle, fight him and win. :p
Also, "boss" battles should be more then: Jump on them 3 times, hit the switch, or have Bowser get bigger and hit him or a switch again.

For RPGs, I will agree there should be like an after game, why is it like nothing happened after you beat the final boss? >__>

Timmy said:
For RPGs, I will agree there should be like an after game, why is it like nothing happened after you beat the final boss? >__>
My thoughts exactly. Like I said before, I hate hate hate it.

Timmy said:
Change the story up a bit, PLEASE. I'm not saying OMFG change EVERYTHING DRASTICALLY, but PLEASE stop using "oh lol Peach gets kidnapped again".

Seriously, Peach has gotten kidnapped for like the 5376215434th time and Mario just has to get to Bowser's Castle, fight him and win. :p
This. A thousand times, this. I've gotten pretty sick of them using the same boring, repetitive, and predictable storyline in every single game as of late. There used to be a lot more to it than that in the old days, with some spell being cast over the Mushroom Kingdom that only Peach/Toadstool was capable of breaking, but nowadays, all the story seems to revolve around is her getting kidnapped. It's almost as if Bowser isn't even trying to take over the Mushroom Kingdom anymore.

As a matter of fact, it really makes no sense how Peach could even continue getting herself kidnapped all the time like this, since she's already proven that she's perfectly capable of defending herself. She was able to fight against the Smithy Gang, which are literally walking weapons of mass destruction, she was able to fight against Count Bleck and his army, and even Bowser and the Koopa Troop in Super Princess Peach, so how is it that she's become so powerless against them again? Give me a break. In case anyone's wondering, I didn't list Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario USA, since everything that happened in the game turned out to be a dream.

Timmy said:

Also, "boss" battles should be more then: Jump on them 3 times, hit the switch, or have Bowser get bigger and hit him or a switch again.

I guess NSMBU shakedown things up a bit, as the other's are actually kicked out of the Castle and Bowser is trying to take over the mushroom kingdom.

Solar Blaze said:
Timmy said:

This. A thousand times, this. I've gotten pretty sick of them using the same boring, repetitive, and predictable storyline in every single game as of late. There used to be a lot more to it than that in the old days, with some spell being cast over the Mushroom Kingdom that only Peach/Toadstool was capable of breaking, but nowadays, all the story seems to revolve around is her getting kidnapped. It's almost as if Bowser isn't even trying to take over the Mushroom Kingdom anymore.

As a matter of fact, it really makes no sense how Peach could even continue getting herself kidnapped all the time like this, since she's already proven that she's perfectly capable of defending herself. She was able to fight against the Smithy Gang, which are literally walking weapons of mass destruction, she was able to fight against Count Bleck and his army, and even Bowser and the Koopa Troop in Super Princess Peach, so how is it that she's become so powerless against them again? Give me a break. In case anyone's wondering, I didn't list Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario USA, since everything that happened in the game turned out to be a dream.
I agree with this plus at the start of Bowser's Inside Story Peach literally threw Bowser out of her castle so why couldn't she do something like that all the time?

More level diversity (getting tired of the 2D games always having the same worlds), more boss diversity (even this Koopaling fan wants more and different boss fights), and overall higher difficulty (which is starting to come in now that Nintendo has ways of basically beating the game for you).

I'm going to be the odd one out by saying I don't really want too much more character development (except maybe a clearing up of the Koopa family and for there to be a visible difference between Kamek and other Magikoopas; that always bugged me). Every time Nintendo puts character development/changes the plot somehow in the Mario games, they tend to piss off the fans. In fact, some of the fun comes from tying loose ends together in your head in your own way. Some more interesting plotlines could be fine, though.

Back