The Hurricane Sandy Thread

STOP TALKING ABOUT CELLARS AND LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC! Yesh who cares weither certain Americans have cellars or not. Anyway I hope that none of my fellow friends on this forum get hurt by the hurricane.

Koopa Kid said:
STOP TALKING ABOUT CELLARS AND LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC! Yesh who cares weither certain Americans have cellars or not. Anyway I hope that none of my fellow friends on this forum get hurt by the hurricane.

Actually it's incredibly on topic, having a cellar means that you can avoid the impending hurricane.

Don't be so quick to the slow.

Koopa Kid said:
gtfo now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basement#Cellar

In parts of the U.S. that are prone to tornadoes (See: Tornado Alley), cellars still serve as shelter in the event of a direct hit on the house from a tornado or other storm damage caused by strong winds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basement#Design_and_structural_considerations

Structurally, for houses, the basement walls typically form the foundation. In warmer climates, some houses do not have basements because they are not necessary (although many still prefer them). In colder climates, the foundation must be below the frost line. Unless constructed in very cold climates, the frost line is not so deep as to justify an entire level below the ground, although it is usually deep enough that a basement is the assumed standard. In places with oddly stratified soil substrata or high water tables, such as most of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and areas within 50 miles (80 km) of the Gulf of Mexico, basements are usually not financially feasible unless the building is a large apartment or commercial structure. In many earthquake-prone areas, such as Southern California, basements are not common because of the possibility of collapse during an earthquake.

Point being: some houses have them, some don't. It depends on the architecture style, region, and whatever other random reason. So there is no "speaking for the North" or anything. You can speak for your house and the other houses you know, unless you're aware of construction policies in your area, such as the thing about California and earthquakes.

If you are that interested about basements, cellars, the variations thereupon, as well as which housing styles and areas are more prone to having them, feel free to read the rest of the article and do research on your own. Wild claims of "most Americans have ____" based purely on the restricted knowledge of only your house is quite silly when the information on such claims is very easily found.

ANYWAYS, the hurricane should be coming through my area, soon, and it's been quite rainy the past few days anyways. It's particularly gloomy right now, and I'm quite concerned about my classes tomorrow. My school's policy on cancelling classes is--"Don't cancel classes". So, yeah ._.

Politoed said:
ANYWAYS, the hurricane should be coming through my area, soon, and it's been quite rainy the past few days anyways. It's particularly gloomy right now, and I'm quite concerned about my classes tomorrow. My school's policy on cancelling classes is--"Don't cancel classes". So, yeah ._.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1-ZpHr5l0U0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1-ZpHr5l0U0&gl=GB[/youtube]

Politoed said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basement#Cellar

In parts of the U.S. that are prone to tornadoes (See: Tornado Alley), cellars still serve as shelter in the event of a direct hit on the house from a tornado or other storm damage caused by strong winds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basement#Design_and_structural_considerations

Structurally, for houses, the basement walls typically form the foundation. In warmer climates, some houses do not have basements because they are not necessary (although many still prefer them). In colder climates, the foundation must be below the frost line. Unless constructed in very cold climates, the frost line is not so deep as to justify an entire level below the ground, although it is usually deep enough that a basement is the assumed standard. In places with oddly stratified soil substrata or high water tables, such as most of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and areas within 50 miles (80 km) of the Gulf of Mexico, basements are usually not financially feasible unless the building is a large apartment or commercial structure. In many earthquake-prone areas, such as Southern California, basements are not common because of the possibility of collapse during an earthquake.

Point being: some houses have them, some don't. It depends on the architecture style, region, and whatever other random reason. So there is no "speaking for the North" or anything. You can speak for your house and the other houses you know, unless you're aware of construction policies in your area, such as the thing about California and earthquakes.

If you are that interested about basements, cellars, the variations thereupon, as well as which housing styles and areas are more prone to having them, feel free to read the rest of the article and do research on your own. Wild claims of "most Americans have ____" based purely on the restricted knowledge of only your house is quite silly when the information on such claims is very easily found.
Oh, well now that you explained it, carry on with you discussion.

Whew, glad I'm not in America right now.

Good luck to everyone who will be stuck in this disaster. And of course, stay safe.

Koopa Kid said:
Red Barchetta said:
It's predicted to make landfall in New Jersey tonight. Please be safe, everyone.
Aw man, this sucks. I live in NJ :(

Fare well, my friend.

And that's not a farewell as in good bye, that's a fare well as in "May you be well, wherever you go."

VA resident here.

The worst should be coming through later today and tomorrow, but for now it's just moderate wind and rainfall. Good news is that I get school off today.

Here is some fitting music to listen to that will hopefully keep you calm during this time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rwLl5nY5WPI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DrwLl5nY5WPI&gl=GB[/youtube]

Just hitting now. I live almost on top a hill, so I'm not supposed to get much water damage, but the power may go out.

Red Barchetta said:
I really am <333 I love tropical cyclones so much and I'm so excited about this one hitting

I wish I was there with you, now. We never get hurricanes here in Britain. :(

Back