Official Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit thread

Disney has an eternity to become more immortal that it already is. Fantasy stuff like LotR will, very sadly, die off or suddenly have very low popularity.
Source: I'm a genre/company/novel expert.

Smaug said:
Disney has an eternity to become more immortal that it already is. Fantasy stuff like LotR will, very sadly, die off or suddenly have very low popularity.
Source: I'm a genre/company/novel expert.
eh, it's really not genre vs company thing, for example disney has also made fantasy movies as well (such as Narnia) and they also died off rather quickly

so yeah it's the actual movie that matters, not the company who made it

So...you have chosen death.

(perfect quote because saruman says this as gandalf escapes from a huge tower on an eagle and now i'm saying it as you escape from a huge tower on a fell beast)

too bad he just got impaled cause that fell beast had a spike coming out of his back, so he really DID choose death

it was death either way, it was just unlucky that he got a spikey-ass fell beast. Stop talking! Okay...

Seeing Desolation of Smaug in January hopefully. I finished reading the LOTR trilogy last month and I loved them. I'm wanting to get the DVD boxset for Christmas. I also need to read the other books and watch The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey on Netflix. My favourite characters from the books are Gandalf, Aragorn and Gimli.

War Doctor said:
too bad he just got impaled cause that fell beast had a spike coming out of his back, so he really DID choose death

it was death either way, it was just unlucky that he got a spikey-ass fell beast. Stop talking! Okay...
ridiculous, as a Nazgul i've had too much experience riding those things too make a silly mistake like accidentally impaling myself on one :yoshi:

anyways back on topic they released a couple of clips from Desolation of Smaug recently, they're pretty interesting

apparently there's a love story between Elf Tauriel and Dwarf Kili

I laughed for about 30 minutes, but I really don't know how I feel about this.

War Doctor said:

i'm reserving judgment until i see how it plays out

you should do the same

Dr. Javelin said:
War Doctor said:

i'm reserving judgment until i see how it plays out

you should do the same
well I haven't made any judgement, but good advice either way

When I read the Hobbit for the first (and only) time I actually found it to be quite boring but I seemed to really enjoy the first Hobbit film. It's likely because I feel stuff like this works much better in film than book. Hopefully I can get round to seeing the next film after I come back from Skiing.

The Hobbit was one of my favourite books as a kid. I even won an in-school art award for illustrating the scene where

Smaug burns down the village.

I wish I could see the movie asap, but I have exams and work to deal with. I might be able to squeeze it in next week, but it's not a sure thing.

Falkner said:
Who is Tauriel and what makes her important enough to be inserted?
She was the head of the elvish guard in mirkwood. Jackson thought it be best to include her to bring in another female to an otherwise male dominated cast, and to expand on the story of mirkwood more.

War Doctor said:
Falkner said:
Who is Tauriel and what makes her important enough to be inserted?
She was the head of the elvish guard in mirkwood. Jackson thought it be best to include her to bring in another female to an otherwise male dominated cast, and to expand on the story of mirkwood more.

Da. Thank you doctor.

their romance is done well IMO

also i'll post my full thoughts about that fantastic movie known as TDOS later on

Okay, I saw the movie last night.

Thoughts:
First things first: the best part of the movie was easily Smaug. He's intelligent, brutal, and dangerous, but he's also interested in how Bilbo is different. Oh, and he can tell Bilbo's around even when he has the Ring on because he can smell him (he can't pinpoint the exact location though). Smaug also looks and sounds wonderful, from his evil but intelligent eyes to the way his chest begins to glow orange before he breathes fire.

Another good thing there was a lot of Legolas (and Tauriel, but mostly Legolas) running around and shooting orcs, which is awesome if you like Legolas. In one humorous part, he asks Gloin who the people are in the pictures he carries around. Gloin tells him "that's my wee little lad Gimli".

The action scenes were pretty nice; I personally thought Gandalf at Dol Guldur wasn't done too well (although Sauron appears, which is interesting) but the barrel escape scene was great, from Legolas hopping from barrel to barrel (or rather, from dwarf head to dwarf head) to the part where one of the barrels ends up bouncing down the hill taking out orcs like a game of Donkey Kong.

I personally thought the Tauriel and Kili thing was very obviously forced, and could have been done so much better if Tauriel wasn't interested in Kili from the start... but she was, which was really lame. Which brings me to my next point.

Desolation of Smaug fails at emotional connection to, well, pretty much anything. You remember all those heartwarming moments in An Unexpected Journey where Bilbo ends up developing as a character, and that wonderful moment at the end where Thorin says "Never have I been so wrong?" Yeah, there was none of that in this movie.
tl;dr smaug was unbelievably awesome, legolas was pretty cool, and the movie failed at emotional development/connection but had cooler action scenes than an unexpected journey

EDIT: oh and the ending was a cliffhanger

I also saw the movie last night, and felt some of the same things as you. I felt it should have been more like the book though, like I don't think we need to know much of Gandalf's explorations, and I didn't think that Sauron was at all necessary. I also don't think that Fili, Kili, and one dwarf who's name I forget should have been left. The Kili and Tauriel relationship didn't spark my interest at all. And I feel they are cramming the last 75 pages of the book into the next movie, since they left so little after of the story. Also, I kinda felt it was just problem, problem, get to the hidden door, oh wait! Another problem. Then what? A huge freaking dragon problem. Don't they ever get a break?

Back