Official Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit thread

So I finally saw the movie today!

...I don't see how it's going to take two more films to complete the story...

Santawaker said:
So I finally saw the movie today!

...I don't see how it's going to take two more films to complete the story...

according to jackson, there is enough material in the book and the appendices for them to carry it on for two more movies

and an extended edition

but don't fret, it will be fantastic to see

I recall Jackson saying somewhere in an interview about how "the completely accurate Lord of the Rings would be forty hours long". So it seems he's trying to include as much as possible from the Hobbit, which is nice.

I also enjoyed the numerous callbacks to the original series, such as Gandalf hitting his head on the chandelier (we all knew it was coming) and of course Bilbo's trolls and the intro with Frodo that happens right before the beginning of Fellowship.

I found the younger-looking Saruman (was I the only one who noticed he seemed to have less wrinkles) slightly odd, but accurate, I suppose.

EDIT: Also, I found the beginning pretty slow, although I really enjoyed the "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!" song and the "Misty Mountains" song the dwarves had. The hidden Mordor theme when Radagast finds the Necromancer was also a nice musical touch.

I noticed some of that stuff too, Javvy. It was great to see those in there. When I went to see it yesterday, everyone just went quiet at the dwarves' 'Misty Mountains' song. That was a really amazing moment.

Charlie Mulgrew said:
I was chuffed they used some of the songs from the book,it was quite magical especially the mountain song.
Blunt the knives and bend the forks!
Smash the bottles and burn the corks!
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
That's what Bilbo Baggins hates -

Cut the cloth and tread the fat!
Leave the bones on the bedroom mat!
Pour the milk on the pantry floor!
Splash the wine on every door!

Dump the crocks in a boiling bowl;
Pound them up with a thumping pole;
And when you've finished, if any are whole,
Send them down the hall to roll!

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! Carefully with the plates!

Indeed, Happy birthday Mr. Tolkien, you've inspired so many people through your works.

So I saw the Hobbit on New year's eve, and I've got to say I was glad to finally return to Jackson's rendition of Tolkien's world. I was jiggling in my seat almost throughout the whole film, especially in some parts when Bilbo comes across the ring, the first time we see Gollum, when we see Frodo going down to the hill to see Gandalf (as he does in the Fellowship of the Ring to tie it all together), seeing Smaug for the first time near the end, etc. This will sound strange, but I did shed some tears when Gollum started to cry, when Bilbo started to pity him. And of course near the end of the film when Thorin thanks Bilbo. Beautiful movie.

And Radagast the Brown! Wheeeeee!!

Happy Birthday, Tolkien!

Yeah, Radagast was great! But Smaug was seen in glimpses at the start you know. His tail and legs, undoubtedly red-orange. I wasn't jiggling in my seat, but I was nodding to myself and/or saying something quietly but I was so happy/excited watching it! The scene where Bilbo stayed his hand from pity was actually quite tearful and sad, Neppy. It was very well-done.

Indeed. I saw the glimpses of Smaug, but I don't think they were enough for me to suss out what Smaug looked like, but that scene at the end was quite enough, indeed.

I actually think the turquoise-fleck red-orange scales on his head made him somehow more realistic. And that moment when his eye opens full of anger! So cliched yet so awesome. Can't wait for more Smaug!

I can't wait for more (hopefully) Nazguls.

I'm not sure if they will be featured in any more of the hobbit, but if they are, they'll most likely appear in the battle of dol goldur, which, as far as i know, is the part where Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, Elrond and Galadriel all team up to run Sauron out of the tower.

family is talking about getting the hobbit tomorrow, can't wait to see it since i never got the chance when it was theaters.

:)

Welp just finished watching the hobbit.

Was pretty good and of course very long, and Gandalf was awesome as always.

YESSSSSS WE FINALLY GOT A DESOLATION OF SMAUG TRAILER

oh my god

it looks amazing

this might end up being my favorite Middle Earth related film

Hmmm, Smaug looks like an evil Draco now. I wonder if they will give him a jewel-encrusted belly, since that's sort of a key thing. Other than that, looks epic.

I wonder where it'll end.

I felt like they were showing us basically the end of the [second] movie the entire time, because book-wise, if they are going to make a third movie, they are running a bit too far imo.

Of course, the third book will probably consists of the five army battle, and probably take up about 1/3 of the movie.

Recently bought a set with the hobbit and three lotr books, and i'm reading the hobbit now, but i'm kind of worried that reading the LOTR books are going to ruin the movies for me. I mean, i'm doing it regardless, but you know, I'm already feeling that the first hobbit movie is going to suck for me because they didn't include my favorite song from the book.

cryoAwakening said:

I felt like they were showing us basically the end of the [second] movie the entire time, because book-wise, if they are going to make a third movie, they are running a bit too far imo.

Of course, the third book will probably consists of the five army battle, and probably take up about 1/3 of the movie.

The largest possibility would be smaug's death

welp that trailer kept my jaw sealed to the floor, brb attempting to unseal it.

Neptune 2.0 said:
cryoAwakening said:

The largest possibility would be smaug's death
i kind of hope he doesn't die until There and Back Again

but then again it would be interesting if they had Smaug die in this one and have Azog die in the next one

Back