Official Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit thread

Best dragon in movie history

Bettersmaug.jpg

just look at that cgi <3

Just saw DoS. While the characters aren't too intresting but everything else was awesome especially the dragon.

Ganondorf said:
So, I've never watched a LOTR or Hobbit movie before. I'm going to begin my journey by watching The Hobbit tonight (I have it DVR'd). I know I should probably be watching LOTR first, but the Hobbit takes place first so that's what I'll be watching first.
I finally got off my lazy ass and watched this. Remember, I have not knowledge of this franchise outside of this first Hobbit movie.

I liked it. Maybe I should've started with LOTR, because I was lost at some points. Who the fuck was Christopher Lee's character? He just shows up and we aren't given an explanation as to who he is. Also, who is the weird elf lady, and why is she all intimate with Gandalf? The fact that he looks so old and she looks so young just seems odd and makes the scenes with them very uncomfortable.

At times, the CGI was painfully obvious. The Goblin King, the wolves, and the pale Orc were noticeably weak in this regard. Gollum had pretty good CGI and that scene with Bilbo was very creepy.

So yeah, decent movie. I'll see Smaug in theaters soon. Then probably go back and watch the LOTR trilogy.

Ganondorf said:
Ganondorf said:
So, I've never watched a LOTR or Hobbit movie before. I'm going to begin my journey by watching The Hobbit tonight (I have it DVR'd). I know I should probably be watching LOTR first, but the Hobbit takes place first so that's what I'll be watching first.
I finally got off my lazy ass and watched this. Remember, I have not knowledge of this franchise outside of this first Hobbit movie.

I liked it. Maybe I should've started with LOTR, because I was lost at some points. Who the fuck was Christopher Lee's character? He just shows up and we aren't given an explanation as to who he is. Also, who is the weird elf lady, and why is she all intimate with Gandalf? The fact that he looks so old and she looks so young just seems odd and makes the scenes with them very uncomfortable.

At times, the CGI was painfully obvious. The Goblin King, the wolves, and the pale Orc were noticeably weak in this regard. Gollum had pretty good CGI and that scene with Bilbo was very creepy.

So yeah, decent movie. I'll see Smaug in theaters soon. Then probably go back and watch the LOTR trilogy.
you REEEEEEAAAAALLLYYY should have watched The Lord of the rings first. It lays the ground out to tell you about Saruman and Galadriel.

I've now watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug.

In Unexpected Journey I liked it but it was slow in some parts. The Gollum scene was cool though.

Desolation of Smaug was awesome.
Gandalf's fight with Sauron was really cool and Smaug is just awesome. That ending with Smaug flying off to destroy the village was a real cliffhanger.

Can't wait for There and Back again to come out. I've also now got the book of the Hobbit on my kindle now so I'll start reading that soon.

My precious

So the third and final Hobbit Film is now known as "The Battle of the Five Armies"

Can't say I'm overjoyed, frankly "There and Back Again" worked better in my opinion, but hey, it's better than Into the Fire, and I agree with PJ's reasoning that "There and Back Again" probably would have worked better as a two part movie. I don't know, doesn't seem as climactic a name for this series, but I don't mind.

Maybe it's because they're already "there", and "back again" is anticlimactic (which the book was, frankly, but it's less appropriate for these jazzed-up film versions). Anyway, while I was expecting "There and Back Again" too, "The Battle of Five Armies" isn't a bad choice at all.

"The Battle of the Five" armies does have a more badass sound to it, but honestly i'd rather have it called "There and Back Again" since I like the idea of having one of the movies bearing the same name as le book's alternate title, it's more emotional, and because "we're going there and back again, just like Mr. Bilbo" was one of my favorite quotes from LOTR.

But eh, the movie's title isn't too important so I don't really care that much.

considering the current hobbit movies are such a mess, i'm kind of glad that they aren't tying it in to lord of the rings with "there and back again"

none must defile lord of the rings' greatness

I know I'm bringing this old topic back to life, but, I never knew this existed. I love the Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit. Such great movies/books. So, I figure I should comment on this topic. I have been playing a whole lot of LotR games, and listening to a whole lot of LotR music. Such a masterpiece.

i want to get psyched but after desolation of smaug was so meh, i'm just not interested

like literally all i want is 15 minutes of smaug attacking people and then dying and then bilbo hiking home, that's all we need. instead we're going to get 180 minutes of filler

I liked TDOS but tbh it just wasn't as good as the other TH/LOTR films due to the lack of Nazguls feels

i thought it was the best out of the both of them

this next movie might trump them all tbh

and not just the hobbit movies

i'm talking the lotr movies as well

that's completely impossible, considering it won't have the same awesome buildup from the previous two movies that return of the king did

Personally, I loved TDOS. LOTR/Hobbit movies are awesome, and I think TBOFA will be VERY EPIC. Just looking at that poster is exciting! I am definitely a Tolkien fan, so I love all things Middle-Earth

Back