Official Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit thread

YoshiMonsta said:
Don't they ever get a break?
Welcome to middle earth, would you like some old Toby?

just saw desolution of smaug

pretty nice movie, kind of a slow start again, but very fun.

Also tauriel is pretty hot.

she's so pointless!

and her romance subplot is so obviously forced, it's ridiculous

I'm looking for character development and I can't seem to find any, which is a HUGE PROBLEM because this was a great place to put it! Tauriel should have started out hostile to the dwarves or something, and not even notice Kili at all, and then notice him but then blow him off, and then he saves her life or something and then she's more interested in him.

Totally cliche but it would have been better than the incredibly forced romance that actually happened.

my thoughts about The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Tauriel's romance really didn't feel bad to me, granted it could have been done better but it wasn't terrible.I also Liked the fact that she wasn't as much of a bitch to the Dwarves as le other Elves were.

Action scenes were fantastic.The Climax battle with Smaug in the mountain was unique and pretty great.However my favorite battle was the river fight, especially when Bombur was taking the Orcs out while rolling in the barrel then using the barrel as armor when it stopped moving. Legolas and Tauriel were both complete badasses in all the action parts they were in, though Legolas using a sword on Bolg made no sense when he could have just shot him with his bow.

Bilbo's encounter with Smaug was pretty much perfect, Smaug's ability to sense Bilbo even when he had the ring on just made him feel even more threatening and epic. The conversation between the two was smooth and done very well.

The Dol Guldur part was good.Sauron actually talking was freaking awesome.My only problem was the lack of any Nazgul screentime and it's too bad Radagast didn't play a huge part in it, of course his going back to inform Galadriel is a significant role so w/e.

Lake Town story arc was the best part, I loved Bard and his family.The black arrows were more interesting than the book, as well as their backstory.

However the movie was a bit lacking in the emotionial/non-action scenes department compared to an Unexpected Journey and the movies in The LOTR trilogy though there were a couple of good parts (Thorin's confrontation with Bard and the Lake Town master and when the dwarves entered the mountain for instance).

Overall i'd say it was much smoother than An Unexpected Journey, but personally i'd have to say AUJ was better than TDOS, though TDOS is still a really great movie.

also Peter Jackson's cameo and Gloin's reference to Gimli were win

YoshiMonsta said:
And I feel they are cramming the last 75 pages of the book into the next movie, since they left so little after of the story.
There is no need to worry to worry about that, they will find a way to cram it in well.

Just watched TDoS and I must say, I pretty much agree with most of what's been said here. Not really much for me to add apart from a lot of stuff along the lines of "hnnnnnnngh smaug is so perfect I am so so so so happy with him best dragon crush aaa"

also it would be cool if there was a perfectly-looping .gif of the Infinite Sauron scene b/c man that was amazing.

seen every movie, some twice, the Hobbit three times, in theaters....
read the Hobbit like 4 years ago, read none of the others

So, I've never watched a LOTR or Hobbit movie before. I'm going to begin my journey by watching The Hobbit tonight (I have it DVR'd). I know I should probably be watching LOTR first, but the Hobbit takes place first so that's what I'll be watching first.

Every Christmas I do a LOTR Extended Edition marathon and this year I added The Hobbit to it. That much hours of TV probably isnt sane..

Champion Christmas said:
So, I've never watched a LOTR or Hobbit movie before. I'm going to begin my journey by watching The Hobbit tonight (I have it DVR'd). I know I should probably be watching LOTR first, but the Hobbit takes place first so that's what I'll be watching first.
You should consider starting out with lord of the rings first

if you start with the hobbit, it would be like starting with the phantom menace

the first movie wasn't as good as the other five, and the original trilogy is apparently the best

so, yeah, go with LotR first

idk, i think it would be fine either way, my sister started with an unexpected journey and then went on to watch the first three and i think that was fine

if you say so, but don't worry if you're thinking "this is slow, what do they see in this"

apparently it's a common complaint, but it'll pick up during fellowship of the ring supposedly

So I just got back from watching the Desolation of Smaug. It was great. The fighting scenes were constructed perfectly. My favorite one was the river fighting while barrel riding. You can't be taught to fight like that. Then followed by the fighting in the mine. The acting was fantastic. The subplot with Gandalf is insanely awesome.

There's something that I'm forgetting...what was that...oh yeah....

SMAUG WAS ÜBER FANTASTIC! THE GREATEST VILLAINIOUS DRAGON OF ALL TIME WAS CREATED IN SUCH GLORY I COULDN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT HIM. ALL OF HIS GLORIOUS MASS OF SCALES SURROUNDED BY ALL THAT GOLD. MAKES ME WANT TO DROOL. THE SCALES, THE FLAMES, THE TEETH, THE EYES, ALL OF IT, JUST BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

Eh, sorry for the caps, I got too excited. Anywyas, I'll post my completely thoughts when I make my review.

Smaug said:
There's something that I'm forgetting...what was that...oh yeah....

SMAUG WAS ÜBER FANTASTIC! THE GREATEST VILLAINIOUS DRAGON OF ALL TIME WAS CREATED IN SUCH GLORY I COULDN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT HIM. ALL OF HIS GLORIOUS MASS OF SCALES SURROUNDED BY ALL THAT GOLD. MAKES ME WANT TO DROOL. THE SCALES, THE FLAMES, THE TEETH, THE EYES, ALL OF IT, JUST BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

^yeah, this he was almost perfect <333

Back