What's your opinion on Super Mario Galaxy 2?

What's your opinion on Super Mario Galaxy 2?

• I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game ever.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is excellent and deceives it's praise, I'm not a big fanboy however.

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was good but the original is better.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was good and was a vast improvment over the original.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario Galaxy are ok.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was ok but the original was far better.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was ok but much better than the original.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was poor and could have been better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was bad and that original was far far much better.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was terrible and was a complete waste of time.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Re: Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2

videofreakboy91 said:
unoriginality? it's a sequel for crying out loud, it's going to share the same theme with its predecessor. but i can understand being disappointing, but all together disliking it? personally, i thought the game was amazing!
I understand that, but really - it added barely any new things. 2D levels sucked. While Yoshi was *cough*...innovative, he was barely in any levels. And those flip panels and gravity switching stuff was really stupid.

Pyro said:
videofreakboy91 said:
unoriginality? it's a sequel for crying out loud, it's going to share the same theme with its predecessor. but i can understand being disappointing, but all together disliking it? personally, i thought the game was amazing!
I understand that, but really - it added barely any new things. 2D levels sucked. While Yoshi was *cough*...innovative, he was barely in any levels. And those flip panels and gravity switching stuff was really stupid.

well, that's you.

Lots of sequels are original. That's not an excuse. In fact, I thought it regressed from the original, with even more nonlinear levels and less levels in each galaxy.
videofreakboy91 said:
Pyro said:
videofreakboy91 said:

well, that's you.
So you're saying that even though his point is valid, you're just going to ignore it?

Nabber said:
Lots of sequels are original. That's not an excuse. In fact, I thought it regressed from the original, with even more nonlinear levels and less levels in each galaxy.
videofreakboy91 said:
Pyro said:
videofreakboy91 said:

well, that's you.
So you're saying that even though his point is valid, you're just going to ignore it?

uggh, no, i'm just saying that that's his opinion, where i would disagree. just because someone has an opinion that agrees with yours, doesn't make it valid.

But at least he backed up his opinion. You haven't said why you liked the game. Why do you like it?

It was good but I think the original was better, nevertheless I loved the cosmic clones and hope they will be used in the next 3D Mario game.

Pyro said:
videofreakboy91 said:
i'm surprised to see how many people don't like smg2.
A lot of people dislike SMG2 because of its unoriginality, original powerups demoted to only a few levels while the new ones get 10+ levels to themselves (Boo Mushroom, we avenge you...), Yoshi being heavily promoted but ended up appearing in only a few levels, and a few other reasons.
I thought Yoshi appeared in enough levels.

I don't understand why you this as an expansion, I enjoyed this just as much as the orginal game.

Cirdec said:
It was good but I think the original was better, nevertheless I loved the cosmic clones and hope they will be used in the next 3D Mario game.
They have been. They're in 3D Land.

Yoshidude99 said:
Cirdec said:

I know but there are different, only one a level. I like both but I prefer the SMG2 ones.

Yoshidude99 said:
Cirdec said:

Only one clone appeared per clone level in 3D Land though. In Super Mario Galaxy 2, the clones came in sheer numbers, which is probably what Cirdec meant.

3D Land also had giant clones, though

Baby Luigi said:
3D Land also had giant clones, though

Those things made for fun levels, even if they were the same levels from the First 8 Worlds, the challenge was nice.

And I love precision levels were its easy if you can get the pattern down and click the buttons at the precise times. And when your being kept moving by a following enemy.

I found the Cosmic Clone levels ok. What I didn't find ok were the time limit levels (except the ones where you had to kill the enemies to get more times)

Baby Luigi said:
I found the Cosmic Clone levels ok. What I didn't find ok were the time limit levels (except the ones where you had to kill the enemies to get more times)

I don't really remember those ones too well. Which probably means I didn't really care for them.

Crackin355 said:
Baby Luigi said:

I don't really remember those ones too well. Which probably means I didn't really care for them.

Dude, the cosmic clone levels annoyed me like insane, especialy the one in the Chompworks Galaxy.

not as good as rhe original, story is confusing (mario is over 100 now according to storyline) and starship mario shouldve been more like the comet observatory, and the comet feature really went down in quality, but i like the controls. thats about it

Pokémon Trainer Red said:
not as good as rhe original, story is confusing (mario is over 100 now according to storyline) and starship mario shouldve been more like the comet observatory, and the comet feature really went down in quality, but i like the controls. thats about it
Yeah, but you see, SMG2 is a sequel that pretends the first never happened.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Didn't Miyamoto say something about not wanting it to be story-intensive?

Byakuya Togami said:
mario and everybody are immortal, explaining why nobody ages except cranky and wrinkly kongs

Personally, I think that Super Mario Galaxy 2's so-called 'difficulty' is rather overrated. Sure, some missions were challenging the first time around, but on the second time through I just felt like some missions that I had previously seen as challenging just weren't challenging at all. For example, the cosmic clone one in Chompworks Galaxy, the speedrun comet in Supermassive Galaxy, the Purple Coin mission in that flip-based galaxy in World 1, and — of course — the Perfect Run (which isn't as hard as people make it out as being. Just remember to be patient and everything will solve itself), were the only ones that maintained their challenge for me during my second playthrough of the game. While I know that you're probably going to get better for each and every time you play a game through, I just think that it was ridiculous how everything else I thought was challenging just completely lost their difficulty.

I also think that, while the level design in Super Mario Galaxy 2 was better than its predecessor, Super Mario Galaxy still had better mission design than its sequel. Though I do think that, with Super Mario Galaxy 2's galaxies mostly consisting of large planetoids, I couldn't really orbit around planetoids as much, which I didn't quite like — as opposed to Super Mario Galaxy's Galaxies that usually consisted of rather small planetoids, where you could basically play with the gravity forever, getting Mario into a small orbit around the planetoids, and not get bored at all. Furthermore, while the Green Stars were somewhat fun to collect in the beginning, they quickly lost their appeal after I had collected about fifty or so of them, which was when I felt like they were just shoehorned into the game to make it longer.

Now, the one thing I felt that Super Mario Galaxy 2 did better than Super Mario Galaxy did was the soundtrack. And that's pretty much it.

But, as the obsessive Mario fan I am, I must play it again. Maybe my opinion of the game will change the third time I play it, maybe it will not — who knows.

Not bad but not great.

anywho if SMG 3 is released it should have the shiverburn "aliens" as the main enemy instead of bowser.

Byakuya Togami said:

Doesn't mean he should make his games have completely no sense at all. The motivation is terrible, even by Mario standards.

Meulin Leijon said:
Not bad but not great.

anywho if SMG 3 is released it should have the shiverburn "aliens" as the main enemy instead of bowser.

The shiveburn aliens are not alive,some guy on youtube looked through the games files and found out that the texture was called HellSkyValleyTrees(seriously i am not making this up ,look it up if you want proof)so they are actually trees not living aliens.

Just because the textures are labeled as "trees" doesn't mean they are.

Back