What's your opinion on Super Mario Galaxy 2?

What's your opinion on Super Mario Galaxy 2?

• I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game ever.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is excellent and deceives it's praise, I'm not a big fanboy however.

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was good but the original is better.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was good and was a vast improvment over the original.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario Galaxy are ok.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was ok but the original was far better.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was ok but much better than the original.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was poor and could have been better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was bad and that original was far far much better.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was terrible and was a complete waste of time.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I liked the first one, But I liked the second one too.

They were both pretty much the same, just a few different levels. The only way you'd choose one as being bad is because you didn't like the level design, since they had the exact same controls and gameplay.

I liked Galaxy 2 better though. I think the worlds were a little nicer and funner to play in compared to the first.

Crackin355 said:
They were both pretty much the same, just a few different levels. The only way you'd choose one as being bad is because you didn't like the level design, since they had the exact same controls and gameplay.
And therein lies the problem with the second game! It can certainly be deemed bad just for that pointlessness.

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
Crackin355 said:
And therein lies the problem with the second game! It can certainly be deemed bad just for that pointlessness.

it was still fun though. People who wanted more from the game got more. They make games to make money, and both the games did well. Anybody who liked the first game would give this a go atleast.

It's not the first game to have a sequel.

"more from the game"? What, different levels and that's it? Something that could've been added to the first title via much cheaper DLC? This sort of "well, it's enough for me" mentality is kind of dumb when you consider games cost $100, so the developers sort of owe us more than just a few new levels; if you like the first game, then stick to the first game. Don't waste your parent's money on a rehash.

"fun" and "innovation" are not mutually exclusive terms. I don't know about you, but I expect more for my money than "same old shit + new levels"

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
"more from the game"? What, different levels and that's it? Something that could've been added to the first title via much cheaper DLC? This sort of "well, it's enough for me" mentality is kind of dumb when you consider games cost $100, so the developers sort of owe us more than just a few new levels; if you like the first game, then stick to the first game. Don't waste your parent's money on a rehash.

"fun" and "innovation" are not mutually exclusive terms. I don't know about you, but I expect more for my money than "same old shit + new levels"

That's why you can always hire out games for $6. That gives it too you for 3 Days here, then if you want to play some more, you can do that for another $6. I didn't buy Galaxy 1 or 2, but I did hire each out a few times. I might've spent $30 combined for hiring each out a few times. Thats less than a third of the price for one of them.

I like my "well, it's enough for me" mentality because it IS enough for me. I got alot of hours of gameplay from it so it did it's job. If I didn't want to play Galaxy with new levels, I just wouldn't hire it out/buy it. We don't have the choice of what games are made, so instead of getting angry or annoyed by it, I be happy with what I get. If I don't want to play it, I won't and I'll wait until the next game I want to play.

So yeah, I really don't care about most games flaws or problems. And I don't waste my parents money, I use the money I earn to buy my games. But I derailed tons and started rambling. I just felt like responding to each little segment of your reply. There's no 'Super Mario Galaxy 2 is fun' or 'Super Mario Galaxy 2 was good' Options to vote for on their own I noticed. So I can't vote in the poll.

Game developers kind of don't want you to hire games out at rental stores, since that's a detriment to their profit. So good job not giving proper support to the developers and games you like, I guess. No medium evolves and improves if we just accept mistakes and the status quo just because "well, that's just how it is"; everything is open to be challenged and questioned, and if there's something in the medium that needs fixing, then it's our job as consumers and gamers to point it out.

Nintendo are supposed to be the forefront of innovation in many people's eyes, but all they did was rehash Super Mario Galaxy solely to get more money in their pockets; some argue this is just how big corporations work - which makes me wonder why everyone here is thus so critical of Call of Duty or Halo for essentially being the same situation - but it really shouldn't be how it works. The goal of video games - and any entertainment and art medium - should be to evolve, innovate, and stand out, whilst still being entertaining and appealing in a way that still turns out a profit, not wallow in the past and take comfort in the boring, overdone norm.

Basically, why settle for blandness and mediocrity when you could have something so much more? I have never been able to understand this ideal, since I don't want to be stuck playing the same game all the time, especially not when it costs $100 bob; I'd much rather be engaged in brand new and unique worlds and experiences, and it kind of annoys me that games that turn away from this for safe and easy money always sell so well.

I hired out the games before I was able to make a decent ammount of money, I usually buy the games now.

I'm not saying everyone has to be like me, I leave the complaining and stuff to everybody else. They can push them to improve and I'll just play them. I settle for it because I'm not the type of person to complain or be angry or be picky. It's just who I am, I guess.

Although, a Galaxy 3 would be kind of pushing it. I'd still get it and have fun though

ehh well ok, agree to disagree, in that case

although
Crackin355 said:
I hired out the games before I was able to make a decent ammount of money, I usually buy the games now.
This reminds me that more developers need to provide free demos for their games. Films have trailers to tell you about the film, music have singles for radio airplay to give you an idea of what the album is like; so developers really need to provide demos to give you a feel for the game.

My opinion on SMG2 is that it broke new ground for mediocrity in gaming. Despite being as unambitious and conservative as it possibly could, it still somehow managed to feel like a regression on its predecessor. If SMG2 had been a hack turned out by people who reverse engineered the original in their spare time, it might have been impressive. But as a full fledged game developed by people with access to all the resources used in the development of the first it is simple trash. It sold well partially based on the fact that it had nicely polished graphics and music, but mostly based on the fact that the word "Mario" was printed on the cover.

And I believe that that's exactly how Nintendo intended it. After all, they started out calling it things like "Super Mario Galaxy 1.5", and the name in the disc header is even "Super Mario Galaxy MORE".

More Demo's would be pretty good. There have been a few times when I was younger where a trailer would make me really excited but it was really lacking. As well as times where trailers make a game look bad but I play them a long time later and realize that I was putting off a really good game.

I don't really care about that much anymore, but I bet alot of other people would like the option to try it.

I have nothing to say On-Topic anymore so I'll just stop posting here now.

Another thing I didn't like is that there weren't really any characters to talk to. Granted, there weren't many in SMG1, but it did feel like each major galaxy was an actual world and not just a stream of random planets.

But yeah, I would very much enjoy another game akin to SM64 (though with new concepts, of course.) I want actual exploration and real missions, not just "Get from point A to point B as quick as possible" missions.

I think they're both equally good, but there also very overrated. They never stood out as excellent games to me.

both are most certainly not the best but the original was more "COOL DESIGNS AND SHIT" than 2, because as dippy said, "same old shit + new levels"

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was LAME. It was Super Mario Galaxy DLC, not Super Mario Galaxy 2. I feel this game doesn't also doesn't have a soul, as it seems like it was just made for a quick buck for Nintendo. Super Mario Galaxy is a way better game.

Re: Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2

It was okay. The original Galaxy was better though. But one thing that I really enjoy about SMG2 is the throwback galaxy and the remixes of classic Mario themes.

Sauron said:
It was okay. The original Galaxy was better though. But one thing that I really enjoy about SMG2 is the throwback galaxy and the remixes of classic Mario themes.
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Doesn't it say something about a game if the best part of it is a remake of a level from a game from fifteen years ago?

Nabber said:
Sauron said:
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Doesn't it say something about a game if the best part of it is a remake of a level from a game from fifteen years ago?
Indeed. I still like the game's music though. Not as much as the original's though.

videofreakboy91 said:
i'm surprised to see how many people don't like smg2.
A lot of people dislike SMG2 because of its unoriginality, original powerups demoted to only a few levels while the new ones get 10+ levels to themselves (Boo Mushroom, we avenge you...), Yoshi being heavily promoted but ended up appearing in only a few levels, and a few other reasons.

Pyro said:
videofreakboy91 said:
i'm surprised to see how many people don't like smg2.
A lot of people dislike SMG2 because of its unoriginality, original powerups demoted to only a few levels while the new ones get 10+ levels to themselves (Boo Mushroom, we avenge you...), Yoshi being heavily promoted but ended up appearing in only a few levels, and a few other reasons.

unoriginality? it's a sequel for crying out loud, it's going to share the same theme with its predecessor. but i can understand being disappointing, but all together disliking it? personally, i thought the game was amazing!

Back