• Yes

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters

IceShadow1199

NOPE, THE PARASOL ISN'T A KIRBY IDEA I SWEAR
Banned User
In this forum, I've seen a couple of people saying Yoshi is overrated, some say he's underrated. I thought I could finish this once and for all.

he's neither underrated nor overrated. there's a ton of love and a ton of hate. it balances out, IMO.

Oh, I guess so. Since in youtube, there are alot of people who say that Yoshi is a "gay dinosaur" and also there's a video called "How to kill yoshi" Wtf?

I always thought of Birdo as a female, so.

I could go into detail to say why Yoshi is one of the most overrated characters in the Mario series but I'll simply say that he's overrated.

I even compare Yoshi to Jar Jar Binks. Because, IMO, both have annoying voices, both are "game-wrecking", both have eyestalks, both are "horse-lizards", both have long, sticky tongues, except that Yoshi is loved to death instead of hated, unlike Jar Jar.

I can understand why some people love Yoshi, but seeing a lot of people say he's the best character ever and why he is the best character ever makes me sick. But then again, my rambling about how awesome Baby Luigi is would make some of you guys catch malaria so I really should't be complaining about that.

As for the Yoshi hate videos, it's really stupid. I thought I really hated Yoshi a lot but when I found out that people made videos on how to kill Yoshi, even I had my head scratching. I can't believe there are people who really hate a fictional character. And saying Yoshi is a "gay dinosaur"? That's a stupid way of using a degrading term that has negative connotation towards gays. WHO CARES IF HE'S GAY OR NOT?

Minuette said:
Snifit said:
there are alot of people who say that Yoshi is a "gay dinosaur"
That is true, though. He is dating Birdo, after all, whom we all know is a guy.
There are no evidence they're in "dating", maybe just like Peach and Mario who are partners and seem to have love interests in each other.
The source just mentioned that dinosaurs don't need mating to have children, so they don't have the concpet of "gender". In Birdo's case, she just want to be "feminine".

Over 9000 times.

Minuette said:
Snifit said:
there are alot of people who say that Yoshi is a "gay dinosaur"
That is true, though. He is dating Birdo, after all, whom we all know is a guy.

I thought they were using "gay" as a insult.

New Super Mario said:
I voted "the smasher of the mario series"

He's one of my favorite characters.
My thoughts exactly on this!

I personally think he is overrated especially since his debut till the early 2000's, but the hype for him by Nintendo has slightly died down for now (considering that he didn't receive a game for quite a while). He does still have a large fan base regardless.

I used to like Yoshi; however, I started to dislike him after seeing how popular he got and how he had began to overshadow the other Mario characters (aside from Mario and Bowser). Seeing him advertised so heavily since debut appearance just made me feel upset that characters like Luigi, Peach, and Toad were beginning to get the shaft or get neglected to smaller appearances (though Luigi is doing better now).

I also didn't understand how he had managed to get his own game series before the other characters did (who made their debut before Yoshi). I'm not trying to anger the Yoshi fans, but I do wish that Nintendo treated the other Mario characters with more love than just glorifying the most popular ones.

I'm still not too fond of Yoshi (I don't hate him though just rather neutral) though I do have to agree with BLOF about how ridiculous the Youtube videos are about "killing" Yoshi and other fictional characters. The amount of killing Toad videos makes me cringe especially considering that he and the other characters are simply fictional and not meant to face abuse in this way. :(

Propeller Toad said:
The amount of killing Toad videos makes me cringe especially considering that he and the other characters are simply fictional and not meant to face abuse in this way. :(

There was killing Toad videos? Crazy people these days...

I understand your pain, I don't know why so many people hate Toad. Yes, I know the "TH3 PR1NC3SS 1S 1N 4N0TH3R C4ST13 M4R10!!!" can get annoying but there are more annoying characters than just Toad.

Do I think Yoshi is overrated? Yes.

Do I think Yoshi is one of the best characters in the series? Also yes.

So it kind of balances out for me.

Baby Luigi said:
I could go into detail to say why Yoshi is one of the most overrated characters in the Mario series but I'll simply say that he's overrated.

I even compare Yoshi to Jar Jar Binks. Because, IMO, both have annoying voices, both are "game-wrecking", both have eyestalks, both are "horse-lizards", both have long, sticky tongues, except that Yoshi is loved to death instead of hated, unlike Jar Jar.

I can understand why some people love Yoshi, but seeing a lot of people say he's the best character ever and why he is the best character ever makes me sick. But then again, my rambling about how awesome Baby Luigi is would make some of you guys catch malaria so I really should't be complaining about that.

As for the Yoshi hate videos, it's really stupid. I thought I really hated Yoshi a lot but when I found out that people made videos on how to kill Yoshi, even I had my head scratching. I can't believe there are people who really hate a fictional character. And saying Yoshi is a "gay dinosaur"? That's a stupid way of using a degrading term that has negative connotation towards gays. WHO CARES IF HE'S GAY OR NOT?
Funny enough I like Yoshi and Jar Jar.

Baja said:
Yoshi is the boss. He's perfect.

This post proves why Yoshi is so overrated

Yes, Yoshi is overrated, and this is coming from a Yoshi fanboy mind you. Yoshi has more fanart than any other Mario character and the only ones who come close are Wario, Luigi, Toad, and the Koopalings.

No matter which website I go, here, Lemmy's Land, DeviantArt, YouTube, etc. the Yoshi fans greatly outnumber the Yoshi haters.

Don Pianta said:
Yes, Yoshi is overrated, and this is coming from a Yoshi fanboy mind you. Yoshi has more fanart than any other Mario character and the only ones who come close are Wario, Luigi, Toad, and the Koopalings.

No matter which website I go, here, Lemmy's Land, DeviantArt, YouTube, etc. the Yoshi fans greatly outnumber the Yoshi haters.

That's true... In every forum I go, people have Yoshi in their avatars or their display names.

Also, Peach has a ton of fan art, too! But still, I see her getting more hate than love... She's really running out of balance, too.

Well, I think Yoshi gets a lot of publicity, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is overrated. He's popular no doubt, but being overrated if he is above the position that he really is. Yoshi is one of the most common characters in the Marioverse, appearing in at least 90% - maybe even 95% - of Mario games. Now, I do believe that as of late he's been gaining more attention than neccessary, but I don't believe he is truly overrated yet.

Yoshi may have gotten a good number of appearances on the box arts, but in the games, he's stuck on the sidelines, and is never even treated as an actual story character.

MnSG said:
Yoshi may have gotten a good number of appearances on the box arts, but in the games, he's stuck on the sidelines, and is never even treated as an actual story character.

Probably more proof that Yoshi is overrated, staff-wise.

Nintendo likes to slap him in the main spotlight of boxarts, when the horrible truth is that he is VERY rarely available in the game. It is especially apparent in New Super Mario Bros. Wii: he is slapped on the main game art like Super Mario Galaxy but his appearance in the game is very limited and feels like mere fan service; Yoshi is not required to beat the game nor even 100% it. It's sad really, and no, I am not being sarcastic. It really IS wasted potential and I feel it is really unnecessary to add Yoshi in front of the box if he rarely makes a game appearance in the first place (well, if you disregard the fanservice part and drawing people's attention).

To sum it up, Nintendo likes Yoshi because of the money he brings in and satisfying the vast amount of Yoshi fans in terms of fanservice which probably says a lot.

Snifit said:
Don Pianta said:

That's true... In every forum I go, people have Yoshi in their avatars or their display names.

Also, Peach has a ton of fan art, too! But still, I see her getting more hate than love... She's really running out of balance, too.
I really don't see that much Peach hate here.

A 'yes' and a 'no' option on the poll would have sufficed.

No he isn't. He's a fairly original character/species with very original abilities, the ability to ride Yoshis in games is a fun gameplay mechanic, he's fun to play as and his games are good.

Back