Paper Mario: Sticker Star

We don't know if there is a running option, but it has been confirmed that if you run out of stickers, you can't attack. I think there will be a running option, but I don't see the door being the tool needed for this feature as Bill tried to hide its purpose during his E3 playthrough on stage. I doubt you would try to hide that you can run from battles like every other installment, or RPG title in general.

There is a running option on the demo in the conference. On the sticker screen during battle, the top left says 'Run' in fairly big letters.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly. Which I could.

Crackin355 said:
There is a running option on the demo in the conference. On the sticker screen during battle, the top left says 'Run' in fairly big letters.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly. Which I could.
Don't worry, I see it.
Start at 1:00.

Okay, that's good. That's the only problem I see happening in the game, but there was that toad that needed flowers, so by wasting 3 flower stickers, you got 6 and a health up. So something tells me it's going to need strategy to choose which ones to keep and which ones to pick up.

This is actually the process of how you level up. Bill confirmed in the video that due to stickers replacing the once permanent commands and having to limit your battle use, level ups will be gained from helping people and likely completing side-quests. Looks like no more level grinding for me as I actually have to choose which enemies I face or not.

Count Mario said:
This is actually the process of how you level up. Bill confirmed in the video that due to stickers replacing the once permanent commands and having to limit your battle use, level ups will be gained from helping people and likely completing side-quests. Looks like no more level grinding for me as I actually have to choose which enemies I face or not.

Yeah he said that during the conference. I was just talking about what the main strategy would be.

I'll probably end up going against all the enemies like I do in the other games. If there's an enemy, fight it and get experience.

This game...I hate the angle that use for battles. It looks interesting for the most part, but it doesn't look as rememberable (spell check?) as the other three.

I think you mean memorable. Anyway, I'm fine with the angle, since I think change regarding certain aspects of any series can be and for the most part is beneficial.

BMB said:
I'll love it as long as the recipe sidequest returns in the game! I call making List of (chef)'s recipes/By Ingredient for the game!

Now if only someone could rip sprites from that game.....we would have a winner.

I don't see the issue with change. I'm going to give this game a try.

Seriously...levelups from sidequests? No partners? Mario has to use stickers to jump on enemies? Yeah, this is gonna suck.

Wait, I might be a little late here, but since when they confirmed no partners? The wiki still lists the Green Toad, the Chain Chomp, and Kersti as partners.

Gummy said:
Seriously...levelups from sidequests? No partners? Mario has to use stickers to jump on enemies? Yeah, this is gonna suck.
Only level ups from sidequests? That'd be dumb.

They're overdoing the sticker thing.

Where does it say no partners?

I think the change isn't bad, unless it basically completely changes nearly most of the game from the prequels. All I see in this game that has things common with the prequels is it being Paper, overworld to travel through, and battling enemies. That's about all I see, and even those are affected by the new changes. I'll still buy it, but it'll probably make me more nostalgic for PM and TTYD.

I guess this proves people don't like change. Maybe that's the reason they repeat formulas (New Super Mario Bros. Series), because people complain if they change it and people complain if they keep it the same.

I think it's a nice change. It's definitely a lot different but I'm not going to call it bad when I haven't even played it yet.

I don't think they're overdoing the sticker thing, The 'sticker thing' is the games main feature. That's like overdoing the jumping in Mario Bros., there is no overdoing it.

What I'm trying to say is that we should at least give this sticker thing and sidequest level up thing a try. You leveled up from sidequests in Okami (Getting Points or something) and that worked well.

Crackin355 said:
I guess this proves people don't like change. Maybe that's the reason they repeat formulas (New Super Mario Bros. Series), because people complain if they change it and people complain if they keep it the same.

I think it's a nice change. It's definitely a lot different but I'm not going to call it bad when I haven't even played it yet.

I don't think they're overdoing the sticker thing, The 'sticker thing' is the games main feature. That's like overdoing the jumping in Mario Bros., there is no overdoing it.

What I'm trying to say is that we should at least give this sticker thing and sidequest level up thing a try. You leveled up from sidequests in Okami (Getting Points or something) and that worked well.
*claps*
Thank you. I agree entirely.

People rage all the time when Nintendo try something new. Super Paper Mario was good but it got a lot of hate just for being diffrent. Now going back to classic Paper Mario it will still get some rage.

But instead of taking away features, why not do what TTYD did, and simply add on to the previous game? Instead of taking away elements from PM64, TTYD kept all the same features and added on to them.

Look at New Super Mario Bros U. Peopl hate it because it's the same thing as before. See a pattern?

Just because this isn't your classic game, doesn't mean it's bad. It could be better. We dont know because some are too busy comparing it to previous games and we all haven't even got to play it yet.

They're trying something new, which is what people wanted, and now it's not what they want. Can't anybody make up their mind?

Back