New Super Mario Bros. U

Super Mario the Hedgehog

...I've been looking forward to it.
President Iwata was discussing the new social networking features of the "Miiverse," which allows you to connect with your friends to pass along messages while gaming. He demonstrated this in-game integration of Mii messaging via a Mario side-scroller that looks a lot like the New Super Mario Bros. Mii tech demo we saw at last year's E3. Only this time the Miis weren't running and jumping alongside Mario – he was alone in the action, and they popped up to pass along messages of encouragement when a rogue Koopa collided with and killed him.

Mario0.jpg

Mario1.jpg

The video then shifted to a map screen, displayed via the screen on the Wii U GamePad, where more messages were waiting to be read from scattered Mii characters.

Mario3.jpg

Mario2.jpg

One of them is saying "OK, being a flying squirrel is WAY more fun than it should be!" Could Mario be gaining a Flying Squirrel Suit in this sequel?

Another says "A baby Yoshi that balloons up to carry you? Too cute!" Again, that seems like another tease for a new and perfectly plausible gameplay element for a Mario game to include.

So could this be our first look at New Super Mario Bros. for Wii U? Last year's New Super Mario Bros. Mii was supposedly just a demo, but Nintendo has said that it serves as the inspiration for the final game that Wii U will be getting. This could very well be it, ladies and gentlemen.

I basically copied and pasted the details from IGN due to being lazy. One last tidbit I noticed was that the background of the world is reminiscent of a backround in Super Mario World:

cached75.jpg

If this game will mainly be using elements from Super Mario World, then I will die a happy man.

Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii U-Nintendo Direct Details

They could mistaken the flying squirrel for a Tanooki

What I dislike are the Miis just being....there

Baby Luigi said:
They could mistaken the flying squirrel for a Tanooki

What I dislike are the Miis just being....there
It's just communication between players. they won't be in the game, with our current level of information. I do agree with your first sentence though.

One of them is saying "OK, being a flying squirrel is WAY more fun than it should be!" Could Mario be gaining a Flying Squirrel Suit in this sequel?

Another says "A baby Yoshi that balloons up to carry you? Too cute!" Again, that seems like another tease for a new and perfectly plausible gameplay element for a Mario game to include.

All this and yet the thing I'm the most excited about is that the backgrounds are finally not shit~.

I pray that this is World 1. I am tired of that tacky, overused scenery with plains and polka-dotted mountains.

I think it is but those mountains may be returning. Look near Peach's Castle. They aren't polka-dotted but the look a lot like the ones in NSMBW

YoshiGo99 said:
I think it is but those mountains may be returning. Look near Peach's Castle. They aren't polka-dotted but the look a lot like the ones in NSMBW
I don't mind the mountains returning. I just don't want the general theme I listed.

Oh, well I think it is World 1, why would they show other worlds before E3? I think this will be awesome to see a similar style of SMW and NSMB combined. Also the background kinda reminds me of Donkey Kong Country Returns the cliff world. Anyone else think that?

YoshiGo99 said:
Oh, well I think it is World 1, why would they show other worlds before E3? I think this will be awesome to see a similar style of SMW and NSMB combined. Also the background kinda reminds me of Donkey Kong Country Returns the cliff world. Anyone else think that?
I totally agree with the first two sentences.

Also, they do remind me of DKCR. but the color and exact shape provide some differences to me though.

Man, I really hope there can be a factory, space, or canyon world.

I really would love to see those worlds. Well the canyon is similar to the Mountains but I would say if there would be a canyon world make it prehistoric with Dino Rhinos and Skeleton enemies and tar.

YoshiGo99 said:
I really would love to see those worlds. Well the canyon is similar to the Mountains but I would say if there would be a canyon world make it prehistoric with Dino Rhinos and Skeleton enemies and tar.
Personally, I would like it more as a western theme with rocks, heat, cactuses, orange mountains, tumbleweeds, a sprinkle of water and plant life, along with the stuff you mentioned. Not to mention some caves and mine carts.

I wanted a 3D game like Super Mario Galaxy/3D Land..............

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anser said:

Silly Anser, Miyamoto confirmed a 2D Mario was being made for Wii U for over a month already.

Count Mario said:
Anser said:

Silly Anser, Miyamoto confirmed a 2D Mario was being made for Wii U for over a month already.

... Wasn't the 2D game in development New Super Mario Bros. 2 for 3DS?

Goddammit.

Anser said:
Count Mario said:
Anser said:

Goddammit.
No, he was specifically talking out Wii U and the games were this and Pikmin 3. He said both would appear at E3.

Count Mario said:
Anser said:
Count Mario said:
Anser said:

Goddammit.
No, he was specifically talking out Wii U and the games were this and Pikmin 3. He said both would appear at E3.

So, we're getting TWO 2D games?

Let me repeat it. GODDAMMIT.

Anser said:

Isn't milking glorious?

Baby Luigi said:
Anser said:

Isn't milking glorious?

It is. Anyway, I suppose I just won't buy the games and that's it, even though it means more wait for a game that I actually want =/

So if the squirrel power-up is real then my guess is that we are getting a cute acorn item with eyes :) also did anyone see those mushroom shaped trees next to the first level in the over-world? I wonder if they have something to do with the possible new power-up like with the tanooki tree.

Noxide said:
So if the squirrel power-up is real then my guess is that we are getting a cute acorn item with eyes :) also did anyone see those mushroom shaped trees next to the first level in the over-world? I wonder if they have something to do with the possible new power-up like with the tanooki tree.
I'm pretty sure he confused Raccoon Mario for a flying squirrel.

Minuette said:
Noxide said:
I'm pretty sure he confused Raccoon Mario for a flying squirrel.

Well that's a possibility but we have to think about this a little differently than we would notrmally, the people who commented in the over-world were most likely Nintendo staff so what they said in the video has more truth into it than normal. Also we are days away from E3 so misleading people would be pretty silly don't you think?

Well, a Tanooki doesn't have gliding parts, so it could be plausible. But then it'd be too similar to Tanooki suits.

RandomGuy said:
Well, a Tanooki doesn't have gliding parts, so it could be plausible. But then it'd be too similar to Tanooki suits.

I predict it might have gliding features similar to the cape as well as climbing abilities or maybe even balancing abilities that I'm sure Nintendo can manage. Any other ideas?

Back