New Super Mario Bros. U

^ Exactly. I don't know why people are always complaining about Miis, especially since they're entirely optional.

SuperNick3DLand said:
The graphics in this game are updated and they do got new power ups, and Mii is playable.
Yeah, I've already acknowledged that in my previous post. I'm still not all that excited for this game, though. Again, I'm not saying that it's going to be terrible, but still...the same formula could only be used so many times before it eventually grows stale. I don't know about anyone else, but I would have much rather seen another title that has the same gameplay style as Super Mario Bros. 2. I absolutely loved that game, and it pains me to see how much they continue to disregard what it brought to the series in many of the recent games.

Solar Blaze said:
Yeah, I've already acknowledged that in my previous post. I'm still not all that excited for this game, though. Again, I'm not saying that it's going to be terrible, but still...the same formula could only be used so many times before it eventually grows stale. I don't know about anyone else, but I would have much rather seen another title that has the same gameplay style as Super Mario Bros. 2. I absolutely loved that game, and it pains me to see how much they continue to disregard what it brought to the series in many of the recent games.

I definitely agree with you. I really do want a revival of SMB2 and the fact that Nintendo keeps ignoring it is just simply sad. Of course in Japan, the game is the fourth installment as opposed to the second, so there is a chance they might make it next. Honestly, to this day SMB2 remains as my favourite mainstream Mario platformer, and I really do want to venture through Subcon once again, picking objects over the head, and digging through the sand. The game really did introduce some very unique features. I myself am getting tired of the continuous SMB1 and SMB3 elements we have been seeing lately (they're good games, but I think we received the message a tad too many times). :(

Honestly, if they are going to continue the NSMB series for one more game, SMB2 better be the game that gets remade in that style.

I would like it. But Birdo is now a good character. Would you still make her a boss? If there is another SMB2 game. I would love to see more Shy Guys, Bob-ombs that look more like the newer kind.

YoshiGo99 said:
I would like it. But Birdo is now a good character. Would you still make her a boss? If there is another SMB2 game. I would love to see more Shy Guys, Bob-ombs that look more like the newer kind.

We could always have the generic Birdos be the bosses. Birdo was presented as a boss character prior to the remake SMA; yet, s/he still remained as a boss.

Also I definitely agree about the second part. Variations of Shy Guys and Bob-ombs would be great to see. It would also be the perfect opportunity to see the Tweeters, Ninjiis, Snifits, and more enemies return as well. :) Not to forget the bosses like Wart, Mouser, Tryclyde, etc..

Solar Blaze said:
^ Exactly. I don't know why people are always complaining about Miis, especially since they're entirely optional.

It's probably because the Miis don't really belong in the Marioverse, plus it takes up slot of other potential characters.

Besides, I hate to play the game and then see an ugly Mii avatar gazing at me all glum.

Propeller Toad said:
YoshiGo99 said:

We could always have the generic Birdos be the bosses. Birdo was presented as a boss character prior to the remake SMA; yet, s/he still remained as a boss.

Also I definitely agree about the second part. Variations of Shy Guys and Bob-ombs would be great to see. It would also be the perfect opportunity to see the Tweeters, Ninjiis, Snifits, and more enemies return as well. :) Not to forget the bosses like Wart, Mouser, Tryclyde, etc..
Now THIS is what a 2D Mario game needs! I'mpersonally sick of seeing SMB2 exclusive species like Shy Guys and Birdos never appearing in mainstream titles and that SMB2's playstyle was never revisited. It would certainly be a nice change of pace.

Baby Luigi said:
Solar Blaze said:

It's probably because the Miis don't really belong in the Marioverse, plus it takes up slot of other potential characters.

Besides, I hate to play the game and then see an ugly Mii avatar gazing at me all glum.
Not to mention that they're made to look like actual plumber models with Mii heads screwed onto the necks. That just defines creepy.

Count Mario said:
Baby Luigi said:
Solar Blaze said:

Not to mention that they're made to look like actual plumber models with Mii heads screwed onto the necks. That just defines creepy.

Don't remind me of what happens to the Baby Luigi statue at Daisy Circuit when a Mii is there :rolleyes:

Count Mario said:
The same thing was even applied to Sonic Colors multi-player:
images

Oh dear, I'd never thought I'd ever see something like that. :eek:

I'd have to agree that the Miis in the game do look to consisting of Mii heads screwed on top of a plumber's body. In addition to the Baby Luigi statue, I do remember how odd the pictures of Toad, Wario, and Koopa looked on their respective tracks in MK Wii whenever the Mii heads replaced their own. I'm also quite surprised that Nintendo didn't bother to even give the female Miis a skirt or dress in this game (just an idea). I guess they weren't kidding about the dresses being hard to animate? :-\

It's nice to hear support for SMB2 for once (especially after all the bashing for it). I guess people really do want something new or at least unique to appear in the next Mario game. I do hope "NSMB USA" comes out in the near future... :)

Propeller Toad said:
Count Mario said:
images

Oh dear, I'd never thought I'd ever see something like that. :eek:

I'd have to agree that the Miis in the game do look to consisting of Mii heads screwed on top of a plumber's body. In addition to the Baby Luigi statue, I do remember how odd the pictures of Toad, Wario, and Koopa looked on their respective tracks in MK Wii whenever the Mii heads replaced their own. I'm also quite surprised that Nintendo didn't bother to even give the female Miis a skirt or dress in this game (just an idea). I guess they weren't kidding about the dresses being hard to animate? :-\

It's nice to hear support for SMB2 for once (especially after all the bashing for it). I guess people really do want something new or at least unique to appear in the next Mario game. I do hope "NSMB USA" comes out soon... :)
It still does bother me that they can't put Peach in because of that. In fact, if that's the problem, giver her one of her sports suits or something.

And the excuse they gave for not putting in Wario because he would have to fart was a load of bull. To date, I think Wario has only done that in Brawl. Besides, he has a successful 2D platformer series of his own.

I really do think Nintendo's just trying to find an excuse to be lazy. I don't really mind as we at least have multi-player and you aren't forced to use Miis instead of Toads, not to mention everyone plays the same with little difference. But honestly, they definitely could have put in more effort.

Count Mario said:
It still does bother me that they can't put Peach in because of that. In fact, if that's the problem, giver her one of her sports suits or something.

And the excuse they gave for not putting in Wario because he would have to fart was a load of bull. To date, I think Wario has only done that in Brawl. Besides, he has a successful 2D platformer series of his own.

I really do think Nintendo's just trying to find an excuse to be lazy. I don't really mind as we at least have multi-player and you aren't forced to use Miis instead of Toads, not to mention everyone plays the same with little difference. But honestly, they definitely could have put in more effort.

1. Come on, Peach ran in Mario Party. It wasn't that hard to do. It's just Nintendo weaseling out pathetic excuses.

2. I thought that excuse not to put Wario in was a joke. It sounds like one and didn't the creators laugh immediately after the joke?

I agree completely. I think the reason as to why everyone is so upset about the characters in this game is because the game really missed out on this opportunity. Yes, more characters are unnecessary; however, they do truly add up to the gameplay especially considering that multiplayer is its focus. Also about the Wario gas joke - I'm fairly sure that it was probably an excuse to get away from answering it.

To be honest, there is some truth in which some characters might work oddly in NSMB Wii like Wario as seeing him jump and run perfectly would be odd. However, the least Nintendo could have done was to add in different stats like they did in SMB2 and SM64 DS. Kirby's Return to Dream Land worked that way, and I'm sure that a game like NSMB Wii/U could benefit from it.

For example,

Mario - All around
Luigi - Better jumps, less traction
Peach - floating ability
Toad - high speed
Wario - strength
etc..

Indeed, Nintendo does seem to be lazy with the game so far in the aspect of adding unique characters. Still...there is still an opportunity in the future to fix this. So far, it seems that they are mainly focusing on the gameplay as opposed to the characters. Also I'm not too fond that Nintendo is directly following the four colour wheel patterns when determining the characters. I'm fairly sure that all the potential characters are quite distinguishable on their own.

Note that this is not to start a rant. Just a thought of the opportunity Nintendo missed IMO.

Wouldn't adding more characters with different abilities contribute to the gameplay aspect?

Propeller Toad said:
I agree completely. I think the reason as to why everyone is so upset about the characters in this game is because the game really missed out on this opportunity. Yes, more characters are unnecessary; however, they do truly add up to the gameplay especially considering that multiplayer is its focus. Also about the Wario gas joke - I'm fairly sure that it was probably an excuse to get away from answering it.

To be honest, there is some truth in which some characters might work oddly in NSMB Wii like Wario as seeing him jump and run perfectly would be odd. However, the least Nintendo could have done was to add in different stats like they did in SMB2 and SM64 DS. Kirby's Return to Dream Land worked that way, and I'm sure that a game like NSMB Wii/U could benefit from it.

For example,

Mario - All around
Luigi - Better jumps, less traction
Peach - floating ability
Toad - high speed
Wario - strength
etc..

Indeed, Nintendo does seem to be lazy with the game so far in the aspect of adding unique characters. Still...there is still an opportunity in the future to fix this. So far, it seems that they are mainly focusing on the gameplay as opposed to the characters. Also I'm not too fond that Nintendo is directly following the four colour wheel patterns when determining the characters. I'm fairly sure that all the potential characters are quite distinguishable on their own.
That's even more lazy.

Also, I thought of the exact same thing about separate character abilities. I really do wish that Nintendo would honestly put this and NSMB2 on top priority like the 3D games and not take the easy route out. I do realize that some choices might be odd, but there are still some that work at least. Nintendo should really put more care into this.

I really don't care who's in NSMBU, as long as it's not Waluigi. Him with a mii head? *shudders*

Count Mario said:
images

To be honest, a Mii head fits better on a human body, rather than a hedgehog.

Also, I laughed so hard at this picture, I wonder what other stupid looking faces would look horrible on a characters body.

Baby Luigi said:
Wouldn't adding more characters with different abilities contribute to the gameplay aspect?
Yes, it makes it better. Honestly though it feels weird to see toads have the same abilities as Mario and Luigi, at least SMB2 they made it different.

The answered this for the Wii version I think. It was saying how they didn't want certain characters to have certain advantages than others. If you had Wario he'd look abnormal jumping so high. Or Waluigi, not jumping very high because he's tall.

They wanted them all the same so nobody had an advantage over another.

Crackin355 said:
The answered this for the Wii version I think. It was saying how they didn't want certain characters to have certain advantages than others. If you had Wario he'd look abnormal jumping so high. Or Waluigi, not jumping very high because he's tall.

They made NSMBW to be a Multiplayer family game, they leaned more toward newer players that didnt know about mario that much, while adding SOME stuff for hardcore players [World 9], thats why they got the Super Guide in this game. Nintendo is changing mario into a family game instead of a fun platforming game with a good amount of challenge.

What I want is a challenging mario game.

BTW Super Mario Bros 2 was more of a choice of who you wanted, they made each player have an advantage and a weakness, if every player had the same ability, no one would play as toad.

Nintendo needs to notice us hardcore old school players more.

SuperNick3DLand said:
Crackin355 said:

They made NSMBW to be a Multiplayer family game, they leaned more toward newer players that didnt know about mario that much, while adding SOME stuff for hardcore players [World 9], thats why they got the Super Guide in this game. Nintendo is changing mario into a family game instead of a fun platforming game with a good amount of challenge.

BTW Super Mario Bros 2 was more of a choice of who you wanted, they made each player have an advantage and a weakness, if every player had the same ability, no one would play as toad.

World 9 was challenging. We should just be happy that we got it in the first place. Nintendo leans more towards casual gamers now so I honestly don't know what people expect. Games that you have 3 lives and you have to completely restart when you die? That's stuff of the past now, need to let it go. That or cling to old games and never move on. Anyway, I don't remember super Mario bros 2 being 4-player simultaneous chaos. What happens when someone takes the character with the ability two people want? One won't get what they want. Make them all the same and nobody can be mad about what they get.

What 'hardcore old gamers' want is different from the games Nintendo has been making for a while now. Nintendo is aiming at the newer gamers and that's that. Deal with it or leave.

Sorry if that sounded rude but it's the truth. Nintendo isnt aiming at hardcores, just newer casuals. Which I'm fine with. If the games fun, I like it, doesn't matter if it's easy or hard, just as long as its fun.

SuperNick3DLand said:
Crackin355 said:

So true although they did have the green star challenge on galaxy 2 but that is quite easy, I want a hard game like SMB3 now that game makes you feel satisfied once you reach the end.

Z-omb said:
So true although they did have the green star challenge on galaxy 2 but that is quite easy, I want a hard game like SMB3 now that game makes you feel satisfied once you reach the end.
Difficulty-wise, I don't think that had anything on The Lost Levels.

Back