Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Time Turner said:
The Koopalings would benefit greatly from not always being grouped together as the Koopalings. Let one of them be the sole villain of a game, have them individually talk with other members of the Koopa Troop, maybe even make them the protagonist(s), but do something that actually gives them some personality beyond the one-note glimpses that we've seen so far.

No, the cartoons don't count. For one, they don't even share the same name.

yes thank you this needed to be said

i want the koopalings to have actual personalities rather than the few personality traits we assume from their designs and such.

DKC3 is better than DKC1.

A51_Trooper said:
DKC3 is better than DKC1.
Didn't I see this before?

Anyway, I too quite liked DKC3. It was more clear how to get everything in the game, since the flags told you if you had collected all the Bonus Coins and the DK coin. I liked the items and being able to go around the map with the various vehicles. I liked the level themes too, especially the Machine one, and I think it was the only game that my friend managed to complete, showing me the true ending. And Ellie was neat too, although Rambi was probably more useful from a gameplay point of view.

The main problem with the first Donkey Kong Country was that there were no hints as to whether or not you've found all the bonus rooms in a level. Some of the bonus levels are so well hidden that they're easy to miss.

Donkey Kong Country 2 was like that as well, as there were a few bonus rooms that are harder to find than others.

At least Donkey Kong Country 3 gave you hints on whether or not you've found all of the bonus rooms. Of course, pretty much every level outside of Krematoa has two bonus rooms.

MnSG said:
Donkey Kong Country 2 was like that as well, as there were a few bonus rooms that are harder to find than others.
At least Donkey Kong Country 2 introduced the exclamation mark and the DK Coin icon right to the name of the stage to tell you that you had found and completed all the bonus rooms and foudn the DK Coin, respectively. In this sense, as well as in the presence of a special world which was accessed through Kremkoins, it was more similar to Donkey Kong Country 3.

I hate how DK isn't playable in 2 and 3

Mister Wu said:
At least Donkey Kong Country 2 introduced the exclamation mark and the DK Coin icon right to the name of the stage to tell you that you had found and completed all the bonus rooms and foudn the DK Coin, respectively. In this sense, as well as in the presence of a special world which was accessed through Kremkoins, it was more similar to Donkey Kong Country 3.

Yeah at least there was a reason for acquiring everything in DKC2 and DKC3. Donkey Kong Country didn't have anything extra after you've defeated King K. Rool, which made acquiring 100% seem pointless unless you wanted to be perfect.

For DKC2, getting all the Kremkoins was mandatory for accessing all of the Lost World levels, but the DK Coins weren't entirely required outside of getting 100% completion and receiving Cranky Kong's respect.

But for DKC3, you needed all the Bonus Coins "and" DK Coins in order to fully complete the game. In fact, it's pretty much impossible to get the true ending without collecting everything, since you can't acquire three of the 15 Banana Birds without the Gyrocopter, and you can only use the Gyrocopter when you've acquired all of the DK Coins.

Mcmadness said:
I hate how DK isn't playable in 2 and 3
I don't hate that, but I do hate the justification they give in game. I could maybe buy that the kremlings caught him off guard in the second game, but they were seriously able to capture not only him, but also Dicey in the third? And then later they're beaten by a toddler.

I don't blame them, I think Donkey Kong is a stupid character. They shouldn't have captured Diddy though.

Deinosuchus said:
Not sure if this is unpopular, but I like the gray and spiky design of the Thwomps more than their Super Mario 64 design.

me too; i don't think the old design really fitted them.

You have to wonder how Mario RPGs would have turned out if they went with more traditional RPG elements like swords and armor and shit.

Warioware ruined Wario.

Deinosuchus said:
Magikrazy said:
And then later they're beaten by a toddler.

Honestly, if Kiddy Kong did not appear in DKC3, I don't think Chunky Kong would do it either.

I've often wondered why Diddy got replaced by Kiddy for DKC3. But considering that Diddy lacks the strengths that Kiddy has, he wouldn't be able to complete certain puzzles without the ability to hop on water and breaking damaged surfaces.

If only there was some other strong gorilla character they could have used for DKC3.

is it unpopular to think that no dkc game is bad or not even decent, but really good in general?

Zae Eildus said:
is it unpopular to think that no dkc game is bad or not even decent, but really good in general?

I find them all really enjoyable personally.

MnSG said:
Too bad that Chunky Kong never existed until after DKC3.

I know, such a shame there wasn't anybody else who could have been the strong kong.

Zae Eildus said:

not sure it is, I certainly enjoyed them all

Back