Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

You are all going to hate me but Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle isn't really that great.
I agree wholeheartedly. They should have used Rayman instead of Rabbids, and fully embraced the Mario series.

That's not a least cancelable take.
I mean not liking the Wing Cap level isn't going to have a lot of people intensely disagree and blame, at least I don't think

I mean not liking the Wing Cap level isn't going to have a lot of people intensely disagree and blame, at least I don't think

YES IT IS WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT 🤬🤬🤬 THE WING CAP IS NOT TO BE DISHONORED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER
not

Luigi fans are so brittle. Say you like Mario more than Luigi, they come out of the woodwork to bash on Mario. Say you like Luigi more than Mario, they come out of the woodwork to bash Mario. Like cockroaches.

Luigi fans are so brittle. Say you like Mario more than Luigi, they come out of the woodwork to bash on Mario. Say you like Luigi more than Mario, they come out of the woodwork to bash Mario. Like cockroaches.
Cockroaches are famously known for bashing Mario after being sick of seeing Mario bash on Goombas with a stomp.

Do what I do and say neither are good.

I've been struggling to work on that Odyssey essay, so here's something else about the 3D games in the meantime: I prefer Super Mario 3D Land to 3D World, and probably to Galaxy 2 at this rate.

This comes with the sub-take that 3D Land shouldn't, like, become a non-entity and keep getting left out of lists and discussions.
  • It sold about as much as the Wii U itself, so why pretend only the Wii U game exists?
  • It's the series' only game designed for handheld. Call it bland, but it is its own thing, and works in context. 3D World just plops these design choices on an HD home console, and feels insubstantial and derivative.
  • It has a solid theme (imo, and despite not having played SMB3). 3D World is about pipes—no, fairies—no, cats (detracting from Bowser's Fury, which does this better)—no, circuses—Bowser has a muscle car—no, tanks—trains—an amusement park—
  • 3D World can't be properly discussed without it as context. For example, the whole "3D Land made you replay every course as an extra character, so do that 5 times for 5 characters!" situation.

Compare 3D Land and the NSMB games how you may. I don't think it stoops that low, but I don't want to stifle people pushing for more creativity. But to me, 3D Land is just, what Galaxy 2 was trying to be, but dropping the pretense. Like, if both games were going to have bright skies, cheery music, and hyperfocused courses unabashedly built in a level editor, I think I prefer the streamlined handheld experience with the strengths of the 2D games' format, over the home-console game claiming to be a sequel to Galaxy while gutting the story, setting, atmosphere, and planet-to-planet variety.

Unpopular opinion alert.

I think Yoshi's Island is easily the worst Nintendo platforming series, and yes, even including the SNES Yoshi's Island, I've grown to hate that game (and I actually prefer New Island over it :C)

Back