Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

MnSG, doesn't that combo leave you with a 4.75 acceleration stat? I guess that's still the best acceleration you can get with a Cruiserweight character, but even so wouldn't the other type of glider make more sense? You still get the same acceleration with slightly better air speed and handling.

Magikrazy said:
MnSG, doesn't that combo leave you with a 4.75 acceleration stat? I guess that's still the best acceleration you can get with a Cruiserweight character, but even so wouldn't the other type of glider make more sense? You still get the same acceleration with slightly better air speed and handling.

The Parachute glider offers a small mini-turbo boost, which is not the case for the Super Glider. Also, the Parachute glider actually has a better air handling stat, but that is a rather moot point in the long run.

Anyway, I've often found that a 4.75/6 mini-turbo stat makes it possible to perform up to 6 hops before the full power mini-turbo ends; this helps when trying to utilize fire-hopping at its best potential; a 4.5/6 mini-turbo stat only really made it possible to perform up to 5 hops before the full power mini-turbo ended. Less than 2/6 mini-turbo, and you'd be fortunate to get in 4 hops before the full power mini-turbo ends.

Koops the koopa troopa said:
I actually like Mario Party 8.

I do too and I never understood the fans's hate for it.

Same for Mario Party 4 also
And in the Mario Party subject, I don't get why the first Mario Party is so loved, especially when so many people literally hurt their hands while playing it lol

Koops the koopa troopa said:
I actually like Mario Party 8.

So do I. It's my third favorite Mario Party.

In Mario Kart 8, I don't care in the slightest about firehopping. I just play the game for fun, and many of the combos I use aren't that fast to begin with:

MK8_PGPeach_Icon.png
+
BadwagonBodyMK8.png
+
Leaf_Tires_MK8.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_PGPeach_Icon.png
+
CityTripper-Brown-MK8.png
+
WoodTiresMK8.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_PGPeach_Icon.png
+
StandardKartBodyMK8.png
+
ButtonTiresMK8.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_PGPeach_Icon.png
+
MK8PGPPFIcon.png
+
WoodTiresMK8.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_Peach_Icon.png
+
BadwagonBodyMK8.png
+
Leaf_Tires_MK8.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_Peach_Icon.png
+
StandardBikeBodyMK8.png
+
Off-Road.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_Peach_Icon.png
+
StandardKartBodyMK8.png
+
Off-Road.png
+
PeachParasolGliderMK8.png

MK8_Peach_Icon.png
+
MK8PinkPFIcon.png
+
Off-Road.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_Cat_Peach_Icon.png
+
CatCruiserBodyMK8.png
+
Off-Road.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_Cat_Peach_Icon.png
+
TheDukeBodyMK8.png
+
Blue_Standard.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_Cat_Peach_Icon.png
+
MK8PinkPFIcon.png
+
MonsterTiresMK8.png
+
PeachParasolGliderMK8.png

MK8_DKong_Icon.png
+
SportsCoupeMK8.png
+
SpongeTiresMK8.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_DKong_Icon.png
+
MK8YellowPFIcon.png
+
SpongeTiresMK8.png
+
ParachuteGliderMK8.png

MK8_DKong_Icon.png
+
Tanooki-Buggy.png
+
Leaf_Tires_MK8.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

MK8_DKong_Icon.png
+
VarmintBodyMK8.png
+
SpongeTiresMK8.png
+
ParachuteGliderMK8.png

MK8_PGPeach_Icon.png
+
Gold_Standard.png
+
SlickTiresMK8.png
+
SuperGliderMK8.png

For courses with large amounts of underwater driving, I swap the Slick tires for the Slim tires, and for courses without gliding or those were it is optional (like N64 Yoshi Valley and GCN Sherbet Land), I swap the Super Glider for the Peach Parasol, since it boosts mini-turbo by a small amount. It's not much but every little bit helps.

MrRoidley said:
I don't get why the first Mario Party is so loved, especially when so many people literally hurt their hands while playing it lol

Mario Party 1 is my least favorite of the first 8 Mario Parties.

Mario Party 8 had pretty terrible 30 fps board gameplay (the rest of the GameCube Mario Parties had 60 fps) and no widescreen support in freaking 2007. It had technical issues that no other Mario Party had and that's not a great sign.

No, it's not speed I'm talking about. I'm talking about frame-rate, where Mario Party 4, 5, 6, and 7 all had a stable 60 fps while Mario Party 8 was 30 that experienced slow-downs occasionally.

Even so, the minigames all had 60 fps still, so the consistency is very jarring.

MnSG said:
What can really bother me is when characters don't have any blinking animations.

Metal Mario does blink in Mario Kart 8, but I'm not sure if Pink Gold Peach does. There's also this:

[quote author=Smashwiki - Wario (SSBB)]
• Wario never blinks. The only times his eyes are closed are when he is asleep, stunned, or being hit.

• Wario also never closes his mouth.
[/quote]

Why is "Wario never closes his mouth" a point? Showing his teeth is pretty much his character.

That's not how mouths work.

Ninelevendo said:
DS, Wii and 7 are all better than Mario Kart 8.

Tbh I don't know the general consensus on MK8 but I've heard a lot of people say "the best Mario Kart ever" a lot.
I think that comes mostly from reviewers and casual gamers, in the competitive community MK8 being considered worse than the recent games is pretty much a popular opinion. That I don't completely share, since it effectively lacks content - and we don't know yet if MK8D will reintroduce the victory ceremonies... - and some parts of it are rushed, but driving in 200cc with the Koopalings and riding inside drifting bikes on those beautiful tracks is still pretty nice for me.

greatdimentio said:
I don't think any of the Mario RPGs have bad gameplay.

That said, I prefer Sticker Star's battle system over Color Splash. For a few reasons: one being Sticker Star at least gave you a small chance to win with skill if you didn't bring the ideal Thing into the boss fight. The other being Sticker Star didn't have random encounters made impossible by RNG.

You can't even win against Color Splash's Koopalings even if you hack the game to be invincible. Until you use the Thing, there's a point where the boss takes no damage no matter what and will just keep using their OP finishing move if it doesn't kill you. And Replicas would be a brilliant idea to ease the frustration until you realize they are pointless because the Koopalings are immune to them. Why did they even bother.

Sticker Star is a worse game overall, but Color Splash fixed some problems while making others worse.
I too was surprised by how really one-way the Koopalings boss battles are. The extreme case is that of Ludwig's battle that is pretty much a sequence of single moves that don't have alternate ways, the only freedom is given when battling the Paratroopas and when fighting directly Ludwig after destroying the Super Ludsub, both of them being ridiculously easy fights. I think that's a missed opportunity, as Sticker Star didn't have the equivalent of the Super Ludship and Super Ludsub, it was a completely new boss fight.
I found the Thingless and InfiniJumpless boss fights in Sticker Star more entertaining to watch (I don't have a 3DS...), since actual tactics with the normal stickers had to be used in that case.
I wonder why the Koopalings are often associated with broken or not so entertaining boss fights...

P.S.: the Kamek way of making you spend your coins to build another deck from scratch is also an hilariously terrible idea in my opinion, as in some cases you will have to lose a lot of turns to use all of your wrongly changed cards before you can run away...

I don't know how anyone could possibly prefer sticker star's combat over color splash's

I mean yeah things are even more mandatory this time, but the main difference is that they don't pretty much win the whole fight for you. Just help you deal with a certain part of the fight.

Not to mention that the hints for what you need is nowhere near as obtuse.

I still ----ing hate Super Mario Galaxy 2's guts by the way.

Mcmadness said:
I don't know how anyone could possibly prefer sticker star's combat over color splash's

I mean yeah things are even more mandatory this time, but the main difference is that they don't pretty much win the whole fight for you. Just help you deal with a certain part of the fight.

Not to mention that the hints for what you need is nowhere near as obtuse.
To elaborate on that, I think the "mandatory Thing way" is implemented better, from what I've seen, since you need to damage the boss until a certain amount of HP has been reached before the part in which the mandatory Thing must be used starts. And quite often the Koopalings at the beginning are immune to Thing Cards so you can only use Basic Cards. Of course, the game now clearly tells you if you have te mandatory Thing or not and even gives suggestion on which is the mandatory Thing you need. Furthermore, the mandatory Thing cannot completely defeat the boss, though, although the Koopaling will be without their wand and any additional weapon after its use, which leads to them being susceptible to Thing Cards and often leads to less powerful attacks (although Larry and Roy actually seem to have increased power with respect to the section before the mandatory Thing must be used).

Sticker Star, however, also allowed you to defeat bosses without using any Thing at all. Ironically, I found this way of defeating bosses was often more fun than the way of defeating them with the Things, as careful attention had to be used in not wasting stickers and in their choice. Sadly, this is no longer possible in Color Splash.

Anyway, the amount of HP of the Koopalings tend to be very low anyway, so removing the Things being mandatory and the instakill attacks likely wouldn't have led immediately to more fun boss battles (it might have led to battles that end one turn earlier!), I think the HP would have been needed to be way higher and possibly the attack power would have needed some tweaks, without instakill moves but with more powerful attacks.

Mind you this is why I think the whole THING concept isn't great for battles.

Probably why Black Bowser is the best boss in the game since he doesn't require any things at all.

My only issue with Black Bowser is that the last phase has a turn limit. And you have to be good with blocking attacks that seem to vary in timing despite looking similar. Granted, I haven't made it that far in the game but I've seen videos of it and I'm sure I'll have trouble with it when I get there, especially the final attack which seems to be all or nothing. I'd have preferred a final battle more like the previous ones (minus the Thing requirement, that's dumb too but I don't really like Black Bowser's gimmick either)

I stopped playing Color Splash shortly after the Ludwig fight because I found out that a perfect score on Snifit or Whiffit is required for Wendy and I really didn't feel like going back and doing that for a few reasons, one being I have a shitty memory. I'll beat it at some point, but it really didn't seem worth the effort at the time since I'd watched most of the plot on YouTube anyway.

Sometimes I think that the Paper Mario series should just call it quits. I've only played the first one, and never really had interests in its sequels. And based on what I'm reading, the series has gown downhill.

Back