Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Baby Luigi said:
but the spiny shell also causes you to lose the item you're holding...?
MnSG said:
The Spiny Shell also leaves you itemless in Mario Kart Wii.

I know that the Spiny Shell removes your item, but when I play, the POW Block comes up far more often than the Spiny Shell does.

lightning bolts are worse too

pow blocks aren't that bad unless you're just about to get hit by a red shell or you're near a ramp.

Chain Chomps rip right through them :D

If you put a banana at the bridge in Dino Dino Jungle (the one after the cave) computers in 150cc just usually drive off on their own for some reason.

Baby Luigi said:
If you put a banana at the bridge in Dino Dino Jungle (the one after the cave) computers in 150cc just usually drive off on their own for some reason.

It will also work (at least from my experience) at the start of the large bridge leading to the cave, if you plant the banana on the left side (right side in Mirror Mode).

Baby Luigi said:
lightning bolts are worse too

pow blocks aren't that bad unless you're just about to get hit by a red shell or you're near a ramp.

lightning bolts were certainly the bane of my existence when i played mario kart, sometimes there would be like 4 or 5 of them in one race, its really absurd.

Lightning bolts were a waste of time in Mario Kart Wii's battle mode. You lose your item and your Mega Mushroom effects, but your opponents can't hit you because of post-damage invincibility and smaller size. It's a lose-lose situation.

Baby Luigi said:
Lightning bolts were a waste of time in Mario Kart Wii's battle mode. You lose your item and your Mega Mushroom effects, but your opponents can't hit you because of post-damage invincibility and smaller size. It's a lose-lose situation.

I've actually had a few scenarios were a lightning bolt saved me from a Spiny Shell.

Baby Luigi said:

It has been a long time since I've touched Mario Kart Wii's Battle Mode, but don't you also lose a good amount of coins from the Lightning item as well? My memory is rather sketchy.

Pretty much. I also think POW block did it too.

That's true. And it's why I don't play Coin Runners.

Or Mario Kart Wii vanilla Battle Mode.

Deinosuchus said:
I think I'm among the few people that actually like the fake item box.

It is terrible in terms of defense, but you can always ruin someone else's day if you put it at the right spot.

MnSG said:
It is terrible in terms of defense, but you can always ruin someone else's day if you put it at the right spot.

It can block red shells in Mario Kart 64, and it can also be set in midair which is exclusive to this game.

Deinosuchus said:
It can block red shells in Mario Kart 64, and it can also be set in midair which is exclusive to this game.

CPUs don't even use Red Shells in Mario Kart 64 though, and their homing abilities were very awful as well.

plus who cares thats like one game out of like loads of others, typically not very good items whatsoever, better then coins at least i suppose.

Foa a nice discussion about probabilities, we actually have the data to discuss. I am still missing the in-game data of MKW, but we can use jdaster64's data for now:

Mario Kart 8

Mario Kart 7

Mario Kart Wii

Mario Kart Wii has actually a maximum Blue Shell probability of 7.5% in both GP and Versus Races, while the Lightning has a probability of 22.5% in local races and 20% in online races (but in GPs CPU players have a probability of 17.5%...).

Mario Kart 7 has a maximum Blue Shell probability of 10% in GP races and 15% in Versus Races (CPU players are always stuck to 10%), while the Lightning's maximum probability is 25% in Grand Prix races (!) and 15% in Versus Races (the CPU players have 12.5% and 10% respectively).

Mario Kart 8 has a maximum Blue Shell probability of 2.5% in GP races and Versus Races (CPU players have 2% and 2.5% respectively), you have to go into Frantic Mode to have a maximum probability of a whopping 5%; the Lightning has a 7.5% maximum probability in GP races and 5% maximum probability in Versus Races, with Frantic Mode not changing the maximum probability (the CPU players have a maximum probability of 2.5% in Versus Races and 1.5% in Grand Prix races). When you are more than 26000 distance units behind the 1st you don't receive any Lightning, possibly to avoid that phenomenon known in MKW as bagging (going backward in team races to be the last and get the Lightning).

I would really like to see MKDS and MK: DD numbers now to see how much we had to wait before having MK8's numbers for the Blue Shells and Lightnings...

The disturbing ordeal with Double Dash!! is the way the special item system works out. Some of the special items aren't that great (such as the Heart, where it's hardly a game changer), and yet you can't get them unless you're trailing a race. Whereas, some of the better special items (such as the Giant Banana, and its high defense efficiency) can be acquired while in 1st place.

MnSG said:
The disturbing ordeal with Double Dash!! is the way the special item system works out. Some of the special items aren't that great (such as the Heart, where it's hardly a game changer), and yet you can't get them unless you're trailing a race. Whereas, some of the better special items (such as the Giant Banana, and its high defense efficiency) can be acquired while in 1st place.

On rare occasions, I've managed to get a Heart while in 3rd or 4th place. It is more common the farther behind you are though.

I can get Chain Chomps at like 4th place. Golden Mushrooms can be obtained at 3rd, maybe even 2nd. Been awhile since I played that game.

My favorite kart in Double Dash is the Piranha Pipes. The design and choice of colors on it are great, though I wish the exhaust pipes were green, not gray. I also love how tiny its wheels are.

Back