Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Mcmadness said:
4 was too slow for my taste and I wasn't a fan of the square boards.
Same. The snail's pace ruined it entirely for me. Playing the game became a chore, I thought I'd do all the story modes but I only barely pushed myself to beat Yoshi's to get the Bowser board. I wasn't fond of most of the minigames either, though Booksquirm is one of my favourites across all the games. Mini/Mega gimmick wasn't something I liked, I'm glad that it was just contained to this one game.

I hate the game, my least favourite of all of them. All the others are strewn about somewhere between decent and good. I enjoyed them at least, that's more than I can say for 4.

the boards are my second favorite set of the series behind MP1's and I never found the game to be slow, the minigames were also my favorite set by far.

still just an alright game though, Mario Party as a series is just ok

I really like Mario Party 4. It's actually hard to say which GCN Mario Party is my least favorite, but it's probably 5 because the capsule system is pretty bad.

My favourite Mario Party was this one bonus disk of MP5 minigames that came with a version of MK: Double Dash!! I rented once. Pushy Penguins all the time, tedious board games none of the time.

I actually kinda liked Mario Party 9. The minigames were really good but nd cube still hasn't done the board mechanics right.

Another one: I would buy a Mario Party game that's just minigames.

The Super Mario 3D Land/World style of platformer is just as valid as it's predecessors

I think it's even more valid than the pseudo-collect-a-thon and pseudo-open world than 64 and Sunshine did since the gameplay style stays truer to classic Mario platformers.

I agree with you on that but you do get people who treat it like it's a secondary style and not a ''true'' 3D Mario game.

I really don't, even though I kinda get their reasoning behind their arguments being that "true" Mario came first and therefore is the real one.

It's like embracing the stagnant status quo gameplay of the Mario series that people enjoy complaining about as well which makes things a bit contradictory. Considering Mario is all about linear gameplay, it's actually strange to see Mario transformed into an "open world" game when it never really has been all about exploration, and even so, its "open world" is outclassed by other platformers especially since it's not really "open world" anyway since you still jump into paintings (aka levels) rather than traveling to them and choose specific missions for them that change the level depending on the star you choose. I think the most "open world" it gets is that you get to choose what levels you complete first and the hub itself, that's about it.

That being said, I do enjoy Super Mario 64 DS more than 3D Land, but not as much as I liked 3D World.

Baby Luigi said:
I really don't, even though I kinda get their reasoning behind their arguments being that "true" Mario came first and therefore is the real one.

It's like embracing the stagnant status quo gameplay of the Mario series that people enjoy complaining about as well which makes things a bit contradictory. Considering Mario is all about linear gameplay, it's actually strange to see Mario transformed into an "open world" game when it never really has been all about exploration, and even so, its "open world" is outclassed by other platformers especially since it's not really "open world" anyway since you still jump into paintings (aka levels) rather than traveling to them and choose specific missions for them that change the level depending on the star you choose. I think the most "open world" it gets is that you get to choose what levels you complete first and the hub itself, that's about it.

I pretty much agree with this. I wouldn't call foul if Mario eventually did go more open, however I do enjoy the more linear styled games. For me the next several games could largely play like 3D world and as long as it brought in new interesting levels and power-ups as well as new mechanics within them I'd be set.

Not that there isn't room for improvement mind you plus switching back and forth between the styles.

A true open-world Mario game is something I like, that being said. It's something more refreshing than the traditional style we've been getting since around Super Mario 3D Land.

Nozomi Toujou said:
Mario Party X said:
mistaking Rosalina for Elsa
how the *bleep* can you do that
People who never ever play video games in their life, at least the Mario games.

It's on the same boat as those calling Link "Zelda" or Samus "Metroid".

I do think about what a truly open world Mario game would be like.

Mario Party Σ said:
Nozomi Toujou said:
Mario Party X said:

They're superficially similar like pale hair blue eyes blue dress and ice world, but yeah you'd have to not play Mario games to think she's Elsa.

She doesn't even have ice powers.

Mario Party Σ said:
Nozomi Toujou said:
Mario Party X said:

it still ticks me off at how people can just do that

like even when I didn't know who samus was, I didn't call her metroid

Mcmadness said:
I always had this idea in my mind for a massive open world Mario game. The world would have a ton of iconic locations like Peach's Castle, Toad Town, Sarasaland, Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi's Island, Delfino, Donkey Kong's Island, etc. You would play as Mario but could collect other characters as you progressed through the game being Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, and Bowser. All of whom have unique attributes. Throw in every Mario character imaginable as NPCs throughout the world. Even guys like Daisy and Waluigi. Not sure about the villain though. Maybe someone new. You could have all sorts of power-ups as well.

Master of the House said:
Mcmadness said:
I always had this idea in my mind for a massive open world Mario game. The world would have a ton of iconic locations like Peach's Castle, Toad Town, Sarasaland, Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi's Island, Delfino, Donkey Kong's Island, etc. You would play as Mario but could collect other characters as you progressed through the game being Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, and Bowser. All of whom have unique attributes. Throw in every Mario character imaginable as NPCs throughout the world. Even guys like Daisy and Waluigi. Not sure about the villain though. Maybe someone new. You could have all sorts of power-ups as well.

Now that's something I'd like to see

Nozomi Toujou said:
Mario Party Σ said:
Nozomi Toujou said:
Mario Party X said:

it still ticks me off at how people can just do that

like even when I didn't know who samus was, I didn't call her metroid
Nintendo is now saying Metroid is a Chozo word meaning Ultimate Warrior, so calling Samus Metroid is technically correct.

As much as I'd like what GP mentioned, I wouldn't be able to help but be disappointed if it was that big and expansive and didn't at least include the Beanbean Kingdom which is right next to the Mushroom Kingdom. Not to mention places like Rogueport.

Also I think Waluigi should be playable and Daisy should be a possessed boss who must be fought as Waluigi and dies afterward.

Master of the House said:

A cool idea but that's a bit crazy in how large it would be and Nintendo wouldn't go for a Mario game of that size.

At best you'd see a huge ass mushroom kingdom.

Also keep Bowser the villain cuz I said so.

Back