New Super Mario Bros. 2

Haven't we had enough SMB3 references in the recent Mario games? :rolleyes:

Anyways, this game really does remind me of the original NSMB (even more so than NSMB Wii). It's nice to see Raccoon Mario making a reappearance (especially since the recent comeback of Tanooki Mario).

I really hope that we see more playable characters this time around aside from Mario and possibly Luigi (though the chances are obviously still low)...

I am disappointed that this game is not based off of SMB2. At least bringing back the game's original cast of the four playable characters would be nice to see for once.

I had a feeling that this would happen, but I didn't know they would make a direct sequel to NSMB.

And YES RACCOON MARIO IN A NEW SIDESCROLLER

Glowsquid said:
I hope they don't base it too heavily on SMB3, though. 3D Land was enough.
Nabber said:
Yeah I think we've had enough of SMB3.
Zae said:
Yeah I think most people are tired of smb3 spam.
Propeller Toad said:
Haven't we had enough SMB3 references in the recent Mario games?
jebus why is everyone hating on SMB3 so much

Mariomario64 said:
I had a feeling that this would happen, but I didn't know they would make a direct sequel to NSMB.

jebus why is everyone hating on SMB3 so much

probably because its being constantly used over the years, both for official games and fangames, and quite frankly.

It's a bit tiring and everyone and their mother knows Nintendo can do better.

I agree, I literally groaned in disappointment when the wiki article said that it will be based on Super Mario Bros. 3. I mean come on, Super Mario 3D Land WASN'T enough?

I'm not crying Ruined FOREVER, but there is a problem with this game. It's for the 3DS, so why is it a sidescroller? I dislike the recent trend of making 3D games more linear, and now it seems that 3D main series games may have died out. I'll probably be proven wrong at E3 2013, but still...

Well there's nothing wrong with a sidescroller, however, they could have angled the levels different so you can see the 3D floor (ala Kirby's Return to Dreamland) for a better 3D effect

Magikrazy said:
Ultraluigi said:
I'm excited for this game, but I'm also disappointed because I dislike the recent trend of 3D games becoming more like the 2D games. It's the 3DS, so why isn't the game 3D?
Well, the sprites and models are still in 3D, and the "3D" in the 3DS refers to the effect of the objects popping out of the screen, as the DS already had 3D sprites and models. Also, NSMBWii and Yoshi's Story were 2D games made for 3D consoles, and look at them.
Did you read this, UltraLuigi?

I read the title and was expecting a game that borrows elements from SMB2 like vegetable throwing and Shy Guys as actual enemies. Then I looked at the screens and became mildly disappointed.

Then I realized Japan's SMB2 was different than ours. So it looks like we're essentially getting "New Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels".

They should have called it NSMB3 so they can plaster the raccoon tail on the logo".

Baby Luigi said:
I agree, I literally groaned in disappointment when the wiki article said that it will be based on Super Mario Bros. 3. I mean come on, Super Mario 3D Land WASN'T enough?

SM3dl was a fine game, but yeah once again smb3 effect.

The problem is they've been trying to recreate a effect of smb3 since nsmb, similar levels, effects, etc.

It's become quite stale and to be honest it was never a good idea to begin with.

If anything they should have just borrowed the elements from smw, it has far superior level design(mainly in size and in exits), and so many things that simply improved way over smb3.

Overall, the main issue here is, Nintendo isn't exactly giving their best effort. Nsmb2 hardly looks different from the previous titles, not to mention repeated use of ugly visuals from former titles. Let's face it, almost no one is proud of nsmb visuals and audio, both were way below mediocre and were never satisfying(heck most people even admit that the only reason they liked nsmbwii was for the multi), and dont forget that the whole 2d 3d thing they're going for looks really unprofessional.

If these screens are beta, then I'll check it out later, everyone and their mother knows beta screens are always pretty bleh to look at it, so we'll see.

But if they're gonna continue the same format as nsmb and nsmbwii, I'll certainly pass on this.

@Magikrazy: X_X. I didn't read that. Anyway, I'm okay with this game, it's just not quite what I wanted.

GAAAAH! Inconsistent naming hurts my head so much! >_<

Not to mention, I THOUGHT I was excited for this... But then it turns out I wasn't. The only thing that really itrigued me was that they actually used Raccoon Mario instead of Tanooki Mario. It seems they paid attention to the people who kept whining that the Tanooki Suit was basically NOT the Tanooki Suit, but rather Raccoon Mario, so why even bother making it the Tanooki Suit...

People like me. :-[

But yeah, nice to see that consistency fixed... But really, that's it, there's NOTHING to be excited about with this game. There's already been 2 Mario sidescrollers before, and they're great. Even if the Koopalings were in this one, I doubt it would get me any more anxious with anticipation... Maybe a little, but the thing is, it's the Mega Man 10 problem; Nintendo seems to be taking the easier (I'm hesitant on saying "lazier" because making games is hard work) route with this. Basically same idea, same gameplay, little to no difference in story, just throw in some new power-ups and that's it...

I'm sure the game will be good, and I'll still buy it, but I'm a little disappointed, honestly. I was really hoping for a Super Mario Bros. 2-sytle game, THAT would have been a nice change!

Actually looks like the closest game to Super Mario Bros 3 made so far. But in my opinion, yes, Nintendo is focusing its games around SMB/SMB3 way too much now, I want to see a remake of Super Mario USA, Nintendo is getting lazy

@Smashgoom202

This, totally every word. If you ask me, we need a little more SMB2 and/or SMW. Have enemies like Shy Guy and Birdo, more of a focus on picking up items, bosses having you actually try to throw things instead of always jumping on them, finding keys to unlock doors, and Wart returning. Or we could have Yoshi getting power-ups from multi-colored Koopa Shells, bringing Yoshi out of levels, Star Roads, and remixes from both of these games.

SMB and SMB3 just get too much attention in these games for nostalgia. But there is one thing that I can accept getting if I can't get these elements. PLEASE USE NEW WORLD THEMES NINTENDO! There's a whole bunch we haven't used like space, factory, urban, and carnival themes and old ones you haven't used in forever like cave and giant themes. Not to mention the characters that you've neglected to make playable for years like Peach. (And please, don't restrain characters like Luigi and Toad to multi-player with no special abilities again.) I forgave NSMBW because it had the Koopalings added, it was on a home console, multi-player, Airships, Koopa Clown Cars, Toad playable, and World 9. But I'm not going to allow another exception due to this being a full on sequel and a return to handhelds. Also, why not put in shorelines besides getting Peach/ Even SMB2, SMB3, and SMW ad more variety in story due to having Peach playable, you go across seven different lands to retrieve the magic rods from the Koopalings and THEN rescue Peach, and you visit Dinosaur Island full of weird and unique levels. And please, if you do a World 9 again, MAKE IT HAVE IT'S OWN WORLD THEME. I was so disappointed because I thought it could be space-themed.

(And how about Bowser boss that doesn't require stepping on a switch like in 3 and World? Seriously, why do you do this all of the time and have us try to keep a Fire Flower the entire level just to get the satisfaction of actual difficulty? There really needs to be a line drawn when you're using nostalgia, but Nintendo seems to not understand that.)

I'm still going to buy it anyway, but I would just appreciate more originality than the predecessors showed. I don't mean to look so angry, it's just that it's really so simple to think of having innovation. It's not like this is totally what I think the game is like because these are just early and possibly even beta screenshots. I'm merely just stating what I'd like to see differ and improve in this title to freshen the experience. I hope that we get more info soon, I REALLY want to get proven wrong because I just love 2D platformers and the previous NSMB titles.

Smashgoom202 said:
GAAAAH! Inconsistent naming hurts my head so much! >_<

Not to mention, I THOUGHT I was excited for this... But then it turns out I wasn't. The only thing that really itrigued me was that they actually used Raccoon Mario instead of Tanooki Mario. It seems they paid attention to the people who kept whining that the Tanooki Suit was basically NOT the Tanooki Suit, but rather Raccoon Mario, so why even bother making it the Tanooki Suit...

People like me. :-[

But yeah, nice to see that consistency fixed... But really, that's it, there's NOTHING to be excited about with this game. There's already been 2 Mario sidescrollers before, and they're great. Even if the Koopalings were in this one, I doubt it would get me any more anxious with anticipation... Maybe a little, but the thing is, it's the Mega Man 10 problem; Nintendo seems to be taking the easier (I'm hesitant on saying "lazier" because making games is hard work) route with this. Basically same idea, same gameplay, little to no difference in story, just throw in some new power-ups and that's it...

I'm sure the game will be good, and I'll still buy it, but I'm a little disappointed, honestly. I was really hoping for a Super Mario Bros. 2-sytle game, THAT would have been a nice change!

Dude, we've seen 4 pictures. Before getting shitty over a game that has hardly been shown and assuming its everything you hate, wait. Fuck.

You know, there really should be more levels like World 2-Castle, from New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The right path, wrong path system just adds a new challenge from time to time.

Yeah the main series has never had much puzzles. Super Paper Mario had loads but the Super Mario Bros games are normally just on a straight path.

While I like the Super Mario Bros-branch of games a lot, I am not a big fan of the New Super Mario Bros. games. The DS one was okay, and the Wii one was better, but I just find them boring and repetitive. I agree with everything that Smashgoom and Professor Mario have posted.

Yoshidude99 said:
Yeah the main series has never had much puzzles. Super Paper Mario had loads but the Super Mario Bros games are normally just on a straight path.
Super Mario World had a number of secrets and puzzles to discover, including the infamous Star Road. And while the levels were linear to complete normally, there were usually many different paths to take and new stuff to discover.

Needs lots more puzzle like the mazes in Pipe Maze from SMB3. Also add more of the levels where you go to the left and your are on the right. Also I would love to see a Space World with gravity and those arrow switches that are in SMG, they make you stand on the wall and stuff like that. Also I would love some more Mushroom Levels and levels where you are going vertical and not horizontal.

Back