Surprising Stuff in Pokemon

La Marionette said:
I wonder how Clamperl, a clam, evolves into Huntail, a deep sea eel. I don't see the link.

Lots of Pokemon don't look like their evolved forms.

Magikarp and Gyarados.
Gloom and Bellosssom.
Remoraid and Octillery.
Vigoroth to Slakoth and Slaking.

Magikrazy said:
Joey Wheeler said:
Remoraid and Octillery.
I don't get how anyone doesn't see it.

Remoraid is a gun and Octillery is a tank!

Yeah, everyone says it.

For Magikarp and Gyardos, I think Gyrados is like a surprise. You don't expect such a cheap weakling to evolve into a snake-like beast, do you?

Well, at least the other ones are somewhat related or opposites.

You can argue about Dragonair and Dragonite. I don't know what the heck happened there.

Still, Clamperl to Huntail or Gorebyss is still weird, even for those standards.

Chuggaa mentioned this in his FireRed LP: when your inventory is full, you can't pick up any new items, but you can still pick up old items because they're part of your inventory.

Joey Wheeler said:
Chuggaa mentioned this in his FireRed LP: when your inventory is full, you can't pick up any new items, but you can still pick up old items because they're part of your inventory.
That's because they are the same, so they are just put in the dimesional pocket that the other items reside in

Yoshiwalker said:
I'm surprised that Javelin seems to get quite a few Pokemon with good natures and/or IVs without even trying, and I have yet to have that happen to me once.
Okay, the IVs thing:

I've gotten two Pokemon with excellent IVs. In my entire gaming career. Two. One Excadrill early in the game and one Sneasel yesterday.

When you compare that to the number of crappy Pokemon I've gotten, it's probably the same ratio as you.

Also, you can manipulate the chances of getting a good nature by either using Synchronize or giving an Everstone if you're breeding.

(plus you've found more shinies than I have so hush)

Ah, nothing like a cup of sibling rivalry to warm me up on a cold day.

I always wondered how water attacks are super-effective on ground types

Master Splinter said:
Fire melts metal!
Water quenches fire!
Earth swallows water!
Wind scatters Earth!
And I shall quell the wind!

There are other type advantages/disadvantages I can't think of right now.

I would wager that it's because water turns dirt (ground) into mud. Ice also freezes the ground, or covers it in frost or something. And plants break apart the ground with their roots, same thing with Rock.

@Dr. Javelin: Yeah, ok, that makes sense, although I already knew about the whole grass beating ground thing. Bit I am wondering how bugs are strong against psychic and dark types. And the grass resisting electric. Granted the anime attempt explaining saying their roots are like lightning rods. But in Hoenn, a tree got set on fire after getting struck by lightning. Contradiction much?

@MM64: grass=plants which absorb water to grow. Of course, they could also suffer being overwatered

Grass resists electricity because it doesn't conduct it well, I think. Bug is super effective against Psychic and Dark because it's simple-minded, and also because psychics and dark, shady people are scared of bugs perhaps? You can tell I'm reaching here, but it still falls under my quote of
Dr. Javelin said:
I've always found that most continuity problems can be solved by a dash of creativity.
Also, trees usually don't get set on fire by lightning unless they're very old (I think).

Age has nothing to do with it. Lightning can reach temperatures of 54,000 degrees Fahrenheit. If there are no higher points in the immediate vicinity other than a tree, it will most likely be struck and will either catch fire or be scorched. I think that older trees burn more quickly, though.

I think that Psychic weaknesses were based on common phobias. That still doesn't explain Dark-type weakness to Bug, though

So any explain why Ice is super-effective on Dragon?

Or better: why dragon is its own type?

Baby Luigi said:
So any explain why Ice is super-effective on Dragon?

Or better: why dragon is its own type?

Maybe dragons fear other dragons?

I'll tell you what's the ultimate surprise:

When you're Audinogrinding and suddenly the DS cuts out of power, and whenever you turn it on it stays on for one second and crashes.

It's a conspiracy, folks - the Audino hacked the hardware of the DS to crash, protecting their species from extinction due to my excessive Audinogrinding.

Back