Proposed Wisconsin bill equates single parenting to child abuse

La Marionette said:
No, this is a state law. I think Republicans prefer state rights being stronger over federal ones.

Not that I agree with them.
Federal Law is supposed to be higher then state law so says the supreme court

I know, ever since the time of the Marshall court.

States shouldn't be allowed to make laws that go against federal laws this is a nation where we have a centeral body that controls things and stops the states from doing stupid shit we are a nation not an alliance of individual countries

Hopefully, this bill won't gather enough supporters for it to pass.

Crazy Jane said:
States shouldn't be allowed to make laws that go against federal laws this is a nation where we have a centeral body that controls things and stops the states from doing stupid *bleep* we are a nation not an alliance of individual countries

Look, the Confederate states tried to use a state-powered government with a weak central government. I wonder how that turned out.

If only the ERA amendment can pass... we won't have these loony sexist proposals.

La Marionette said:
Crazy Jane said:
States shouldn't be allowed to make laws that go against federal laws this is a nation where we have a centeral body that controls things and stops the states from doing stupid *bleep* we are a nation not an alliance of individual countries

Look, the Confederate states tried to use a state-powered government with a weak central government. I wonder how that turned out.

And look how successful the Articles of Confederation was too!

La Marionette said:
Crazy Jane said:

If only the ERA amendment can pass... we won't have these loony sexist proposals.
Lol the Constitution signed by John Adams says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." then in 1798 these laws passed pay close attention to the sedition act http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_and_Sedition_Acts#Acts

Adams didn't sign it. He was not a delegate to the convention. John Quincy did, though.

Mario4Ever said:
Adams didn't sign it. He was not a delegate to the convention. John Quincy did, though.
Fair enough but my point is that the Constitution is only enforced when it helps your side (or if it's election year)

^^Not to mention, Adams is actually a complicated person who's easily offended.

On-topic, however, I don't want to dislike Republicans in general, but why do people associated with the Republicans always pass crazy bills?

La Marionette said:

On-topic, however, I don't want to dislike Republicans in general, but why do people associated with the Republicans always pass crazy bills?
Because the Republican party repersents Christian values as a political move

Do they refute the separation of church and state, then? I think so.

La Marionette said:
Once again people only enforce things when it helps there cause

La Marionette said:

Yeah. Anyone who is interested in Adams should read John Adams by David McCullough or watch the miniseries based on it (I would do both).

Anyway, they do that because they're crazy because they're trying to shape policy based on their party's platform.

La Marionette said:

Many do (current candidates in the presidential race are notable examples). They don't realize the difference between the freedom to practice one's religion and trying to incorporate it into federal policy and its sub-systems.

Mario4Ever said:
Yeah. Anyone who is interested in Adams should read John Adams by David McCullough or watch the miniseries based on it (I would do both).

Anyway, they do that because they're crazy because they're trying to shape policy based on their party's platform.

La Marionette said:

Many do (current candidates in the presidential race are notable examples). They don't realize the difference between the freedom to practice one's religion and trying to incorporate it into federal policy and its sub-systems.
I point to my previous statements it's ok for Christians to prohibit gay marriage or put there prayers in schools but it's not ok for Wiccans to have knives in prision despite the fact that knives are used a lot in the Wiccan religious practices

The fact is that it isn't ok for Christians to do that anymore (try as they might). The prison thing I understand, since having any sort of sharp object can infringe on the safety of the individual and of others. Besides, it's not as stupid as not allowing a prisoner to have The Satanic Bible because it "endorses violence" when the Christian Bible, for example, is loaded with it and also endorses it at times but is allowed in prisons.

Wait, then why is The Satanic Bible published in the first place? I know freedom of press, but is there any point in that bible?

Mario4Ever have a right to practice your faith and the Wiccan faith uses knives so they should be allowed knives (in safe settings and not out of those settings)
La Marionette said:
Wait, then why is The Satanic Bible published in the first place? I know freedom of press, but is there any point in that bible?
IT WORSHIPS SATAN

Good point? And aren't we going off-topic?

Well, prisons aren't exactly "safe settings." Anyway, can someone explain to me how being raised by a single parent is detrimental to a child's development (this excludes the drug-addicted and homeless cases)?

Mario4Ever said:
Well, prisons aren't exactly "safe settings." Anyway, can someone explain to me how being raised by a single parent is detrimental to a child's development (this excludes the drug-addicted and homeless cases)?
By safe setting I meant like in a solitary confinment area where they would be guarded by guards.
Well if that parent was abusive...

Ok, let's put all of that aside. Let's assume that nothing is different between the experience of a child raised by a single parent and that of being raised by two parents other than that simple fact and go from there. Sure, the child might have difficulty in developing attachments to certain people due to the absence of a father or mother figure, but that's not something that is not rectifiable.

Mario4Ever said:
Ok, let's put all of that aside. Let's assume that nothing is different between the experience of a child raised by a single parent and that of being raised by two parents other than that simple fact and go from there. Sure, the child might have difficulty in developing attachments to certain people due to the absence of a father or mother figure, but that's not something that is not rectifiable.
Nothing then it's nothing like Child Abuse in anyway shape or form

Back