Proposed Wisconsin bill equates single parenting to child abuse

Dr. Javelin said:
It's not discrimination if they are refusing to offer abortions to anyone, including people who don't want abortions.

Is it discriminating against smokers if a general store refuses to sell cigarettes? No.
No because that's not a constitutionally protected right you could make cigarettes illegal just like you can make Alcohol illegal but you can't make abortion illegal and therefore you are refusing to give someone a constitutionally protected right therefore you are violating the constitution of the United States (and if you say that's not the case I refer you to the refusal to give Wiccans knives while they are in jail and ask you if that is a violation of their religious right since knives are important to the wiccan faith and wiccan rituals and if you fail to understand well then i'm gonna call you a giant hypocrite)

I personally wouldn't mind if cigarettes were made illegal !!

Crazy Jane said:
Dr. Javelin said:
It's not discrimination if they are refusing to offer abortions to anyone, including people who don't want abortions.

Is it discriminating against smokers if a general store refuses to sell cigarettes? No.
No because that's not a constitutionally protected right you could make cigarettes illegal just like you can make Alcohol illegal but you can't make abortion illegal and therefore you are refusing to give someone a constitutionally protected right therefore you are violating the constitution of the United States
Okay, fine. Replace "cigarettes" with guns, since guns are a constitutionally protected right under the 2nd Amendment, which is certainly more powerful than whatever court case you are referencing.

Actually, I'll do it for you:

Is it discriminating against gun owners if a outdoorsman store (like Bass Pro Shops) decides not to sell guns?
Crazy Jane said:
(and if you say that's not the case I refer you to the refusal to give Wiccans knives while they are in jail and ask you if that is a violation of their religious right since knives are important to the wiccan faith and wiccan rituals and if you fail to understand well then i'm gonna call you a giant hypocrite)
okay, let's start a religion of pyromania

that way i should be allowed to have a flamethrower in prison, right

EDIT: also
Crocodile Dippy said:
I personally wouldn't mind if cigarettes were made illegal !!
I think that people have the right to them. That doesn't say it's a good idea.

Stay classy, bro. The knives are never used for actual physical cutting in Wiccan traditions; more often than not they're just used for symbolic purposes.

Our beloved Stooben Rooben is Wiccan, so I'd thank you not to imply that faith is inherently violent.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Stay classy, bro. The knives are never used for actual physical cutting in Wiccan traditions; more often than not they're just used for symbolic purposes.

Our beloved Stooben Rooben is Wiccan, so I'd thank you not to imply that faith is inherently violent.
No shit is Stooben really a Wiccan?
Dr. Javelin said:
Crazy Jane said:
Dr. Javelin said:

No because that's not a constitutionally protected right you could make cigarettes illegal just like you can make Alcohol illegal but you can't make abortion illegal and therefore you are refusing to give someone a constitutionally protected right therefore you are violating the constitution of the United States
Okay, fine. Replace "cigarettes" with guns, since guns are a constitutionally protected right under the 2nd Amendment, which is certainly more powerful than whatever court case you are referencing.

Actually, I'll do it for you:

Is it discriminating against gun owners if a outdoorsman store (like Bass Pro Shops) decides not to sell guns?
Crazy Jane said:
(and if you say that's not the case I refer you to the refusal to give Wiccans knives while they are in jail and ask you if that is a violation of their religious right since knives are important to the wiccan faith and wiccan rituals and if you fail to understand well then i'm gonna call you a giant hypocrite)
okay, let's start a religion of pyromania

that way i should be allowed to have a flamethrower in prison, right
No it's not where is the constitutional mandate that states that all outdoorsman stores have to sell guns just because you have the right to bear arms doesn't mean that all outdoorsman stores have to sell guns. And no it's being hypocritical doctors have a mandate to preform certain things mainly all legal things and if you don't want to give someone there legal right of having an abortion (when you could preform one) then get the fuck out of the profession if your not willing to do what it takes.

And as long as you have these things
A: Federal Recognition
B: An actual reason for needing flamethrowers
Then yes you should be allowed to have flamethrowers (although this is yet another classic example of taking something to it's extreme)

Most faiths that have en emphasis on ritualistic fire just light candles with matches or lighters, anyway. Flamethrowers is really taking it to the extreme, but it'd give them a good excuse to brandish a fire axe and flare gun, and mumble every line of the ritual passage.

also yes Stooben is Wiccan. Ask him yourself if you want confirmation.

Crocodile Dippy said:

I wasn't saying anything against the Wiccans at all, merely saying that giving knives to felons while they're in prison is a bad idea. I have no problem at all with Wiccans. I have a problem with using "religous freedom" as an excuse to endanger the lives of prison guards.
Crazy Jane said:
No it's not where is the constitutional mandate that states that all outdoorsman stores have to sell guns just because you have the right to bear arms doesn't mean that all outdoorsman stores have to sell guns. And no it's being hypocritical doctors have a mandate to preform certain things mainly all legal things
Okay, this is where I disregard any chance of believing you and ask you for proof, because I highly doubt doctors have been ordered by the Constitution to do certain things.

Because honestly, that's a complete violation of their rights.

Well the Constitution gives woman the right to an abortion you work in a hospital therefore you should have to give the woman an abortion (of course if there is someone else who could do it then it's fine if you bow out for religious purposes but if your like to only on call person then you should have to since it's your job)

Also cool I finally know a Wiccan

Crazy Jane said:
Aha, so there is no such mandate.

Case in point.
Crazy Jane said:
(of course if there is someone else who could do it then it's fine if you bow out for religious purposes
There's likely an abortion clinic somewhere in that client's vicinity.
Crazy Jane said:
but if your like to only on call person then you should have to since it's your job)
So (WARNING, another comparison that is relevant but random), if it's my job to build roads, and the government tells me to build the road in such a way as to kill drivers with poor miles to gallon rates, then I should be forced to because it's my job?

Why would the Government want you to build that road and yes you should it's your job unless you want to get fired
(side note this conversation is going nowhere I suggest we get back to the original topic)
So guys I think we are all agree that this bill makes no sense

Uh, yeah, it doesn't make any sense.

...do you concede defeat on the fact that there is no constitutional mandate?
Crocodile Dippy said:
Most faiths that have en emphasis on ritualistic fire just light candles with matches or lighters, anyway. Flamethrowers is really taking it to the extreme, but it'd give them a good excuse to brandish a fire axe and flare gun, and mumble every line of the ritual passage.

also yes Stooben is Wiccan. Ask him yourself if you want confirmation.
I'm fine with rituals as long as they couldn't be used as an excuse to equip the convict with weapons that would aid them in a potential break out or something like that.

See jack with the Wiccan thing was that they could only have the knife while praying and that once they were done praying they would return to there cell with out the knife after giving it to the guard
(and no I don't but we've had this conversation twice and it never gets past this stage)

It's still just a bad idea to give them knives.

Heck, we don't even give kids in school cafeterias plastic knives, why in the world would we give felons them.

(not that I find anything wrong with giving kids plastic knives)

Dr. Javelin said:
I'm fine with rituals as long as they couldn't be used as an excuse to equip the convict with weapons that would aid them in a potential break out or something like that.
The sort of criminals most likely to do something like that probably shouldn't be allowed to practice their religion in prison. This goes for all faiths.

I know it's a bad idea hell it's a terrible idea but it's still a religious right

Crocodile Dippy said:
Dr. Javelin said:
The sort of criminals most likely to do something like that probably shouldn't be allowed to practice their religion in prison. This goes for all faiths.
So, it's okay for those convicted of misdemeanors, but nor for those convicted of felonies. I suppose I can see that.
Crazy Jane said:
I know it's a bad idea hell it's a terrible idea but it's still a religious right
The right to bear arms is also revoked after being convicted of a felony; why not certain religious rights that could easily be abused by the convict?

Wait the right to bear arms can be revoked good good for them I don't know then i'll have to think about it (it depends on the crime)

Gun Control Act of 1968

The Gun Control Act passed by Congress in 1968 lists felons, illegal aliens, and other codified persons as prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms. During the application process for concealed carry states carry out thorough background checks to prevent these individuals from obtaining permits. Additionally the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act created an FBI maintained system in 1994 for instantly checking the backgrounds of potential firearms buyers in an effort to prevent these individuals from obtaining weapons.

The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight said:
you're saying that laws that discourage spanking are WORSE than laws that make being an unmarried parent ILLEGAL.

You're joking right

Yeah, didn't really read that through.

I personally come from a two parent home, but the majority of my class has been through a divorce, and many come from single parent homes. This law is crazy.

Banjo said:
you're saying that laws that discourage spanking are WORSE than laws that make being an unmarried parent ILLEGAL.

You're joking right

Yeah, didn't really read that through.

I personally come from a two parent home, but the majority of my class has been through a divorce, and many come from single parent homes. This law is crazy.

Ah, fair enough.

Crazy Jane said:
Dr. Javelin said:
No religion is allowed to do anything that transgresses on the rights of others; that's the limit of religious freedom.

Having a knife in prison transgresses on the rights of the guards and other inmates; having a Bible doesn't.
I could beat someone to death with a Bible Jack...also you argue that religious rights only go so far yet you say Christian churches should have the right to refuse to give abortions because it violates their religion yep totally not being a hypocrite

It's harder to kill someone with a Bible than a knife. I'm all for religious freedom, but say you're a serial killer who stabbed twenty people to death with a knife- no matter how much your religion requires a knife, they're not going to give you another one in prison.

I'm in no way saying that Wiccans are violent bastards- as Dippy said, Stoob is one. But if you're in prison, you're clearly done something bad to get in there, and you're probably not a model Wiccan to start out with.

But if you're in prison, you're clearly done something bad to get in there, and you're probably not a model Wiccan to start out with.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying.

Back