Proposed Wisconsin bill equates single parenting to child abuse

So, logically, this proposed law shouldn't exist, and yet it does. I'm assuming that the sort of people who support this sort of law are resistant to change and are therefore ignorant of the fact that change is necessary for progress, and progress is necessary for our continued happiness (at least in most cases).

Mario4Ever said:
So, logically, this proposed law shouldn't exist, and yet it does. I'm assuming that the sort of people who support this sort of law are resistant to change and are therefore ignorant of the fact that change is necessary for progress, and progress is necessary for our continued happiness (at least in most cases).
It comes from the same people who believe that the Dad should always get the kid even if he's a drunk and abusive (fun fact laws like that used to exists but the Supreme Court shot them down)

There are people who think the mother is the better parent no matter what because it's more natural. Remember what women did previously? Took care of the children, often out of work. That's how people came to believe that women are better parents.

However, this law is apparently against women.

La Marionette said:
There are people who think the mother is the better parent no matter what because it's more natural. Remember what women did previously? Took care of the children, often out of work. That's how people came to believe that women are better parents.

However, this law is apparently against women.
Those people are wrong both parents can be just as good and just as bad (not that i'm saying you endorse those sexist views)

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you. There are cases where the father who does all the household and childcare duties still don't win in custody cases.

We have a strange court system indeed (i'm lucky my parents got divorced and have it so I spend one week at my dads the one week at my moms)

I think it really depends on the court. :P

Speaking of the court, I wish this bill would get struck down because it feels like a personal attack to single people everywhere, especially the mothers.

It wont pass it's all for political points (or the people who proposed it are Neo-Christians)

Are all of them nuts? I don't like to generalize.

The ones who are proposing this are Crazy Neo-Conservatives who proably belong to the more extreme part of the Christian Right who feel that the country as strayed from it's christian roots and that we need to get back to good old fashion christian morals

Fine. If they think having church and state merged would make a better society, they can move to the Middle-East, especially where the fundamentalists are. Or, they can travel back in time and be a suspected witch. Either way, we'll have more room for sane people.

Mario4Ever said:
This is somewhat off-topic, but what's with the insistence on monogamy in this country? If the parties involved all consent and are adults, what's the harm?

^^^^^^^

La Marionette said:
Are all of them nuts? I don't like to generalize.

No.

But most of them are.

Mario4Ever said:
This is somewhat off-topic, but what's with the insistence on monogamy in this country? If the parties involved all consent and are adults, what's the harm?
Hey I forget; is polygamy outright illegal in the United States, or is it just discouraged? I know in Australia, polygamous marriages are illegal unless the union was originally recognized in a foreign country where it is legal, which I think is really stupid and unfair to polygamous Australian residents.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Mario4Ever said:
Hey I forget; is polygamy outright illegal in the United States, or is it just discouraged? I know in Australia, polygamous marriages are illegal unless the union was originally recognized in a foreign country where it is legal, which I think is really stupid and unfair to polygamous Australian residents.
It's out right illegal under the defense of marriage act

La Marionette said:
Fine. If they think having church and state merged would make a better society, they can move to the Middle-East
um

How exactly would moving to an Islamic state help the Christians in their cause?

Dr. Javelin said:
La Marionette said:
Fine. If they think having church and state merged would make a better society, they can move to the Middle-East
um

How exactly would moving to an Islamic state help the Christians in their cause?
It's not really moving to an Islamic state in this metaphor, but moving to a state with no church-state boundary.

Utsuchao Reiuji said:
There are laws criminalizing bigamy in the USA.
Crazy Jane said:
oh hey, same down here, aside from the overseas marriage exception I mentioned earlier (and it's called the Marriage Act 1961 down here). Turns out our countries aren't so different after all.

which is sort of bad in this case

Crocodile Dippy said:
Utsuchao Reiuji said:
There are laws criminalizing bigamy in the USA.
Crazy Jane said:
oh hey, same down here, aside from the overseas marriage exception I mentioned earlier (and it's called the Marriage Act 1961 down here). Turns out our countries aren't so different after all.

which is sort of bad in this case
Remember kids your religious freedom means nothing if you aren't a member of a mainstream christian sect, Muslim (which even then doesn't always help if you are in the south/2 blocks away from the World Trade Center)/ and Jewish

Toad85 said:
Dr. Javelin said:
La Marionette said:
um

It's not really moving to an Islamic state in this metaphor, but moving to a state with no church-state boundary.

^That's what I meant. Islamic fundamentalism isn't fun.

Crazy Jane said:
Remember kids your religious freedom means nothing if you aren't a member of a mainstream christian sect, Muslim (which even then doesn't always help if you are in the south/2 blocks away from the World Trade Center)/ and Jewish
More like if what you do doesn't go against Christian law. Hindus and Buddhists are perfectly tolerated, cause they don't go against such doctrine.

What the hell is Christian law? Are we living in the same country?

Dr. Javelin said:
Crazy Jane said:
More like if what you do doesn't go against Christian law. Hindus and Buddhists are perfectly tolerated, cause they don't go against such doctrine.
He's mocking somebody, isn't he?

Mario4Ever said:
What the hell is Christian law? Are we living in the same country?
Christian law is the upholding of biblical traditions because people feel that since this country was "Founded" by Christians that it should follow those laws most of them are republicans or libertarians
Dr. Javelin said:
Crazy Jane said:
I hate politicians Argue in favor of religious freedom DON'T GIVE MORMONS AND WICCANS RELIGIOUS FREEDOM,

Back