Why do people hate Luigi's Mansion?

Baby Luigi said:
The Hidden Mansion is just a faux way to add length to Luigi's Mansion. It's like, "beat it again, only harder!"

Remind me of Super Mario Land.

Does Super Mario Land have the notorious "same but harder" mode like Luigi's Mansion and lots of other game out there?

I have never played Super Mario Land

Majin Vegeta said:
Doesn't Ocarina of Time have it too?

I don't feel like specifying because countless number of games out there has an unlockable "same but harder" mode.

Baby Luigi said:
Does Super Mario Land have the notorious "same but harder" mode like Luigi's Mansion and lots of other game out there?

I have never played Super Mario Land

Well, when you finish it, the levels have more enemies and have enemy types in earlier levels that appear in later levels in the main game.

Majin Vegeta said:

Not exactly (well, depending on which version of the Master Quest you play).

No, it's not exactly that...

Baby Simones said:
Baby Luigi said:
Majin Vegeta said:

I don't feel like specifying because countless number of games out there has an unlockable "same but harder" mode.

Yea its called "select your difficulty setting"

Not all the time. If a game has extra difficulties it's because they're not going to make entire new worlds and enemies just for hard mode. It's just an added extra that you should be grateful to have.

I don't remember there being much dislike for Luigi's Mansion; however, if there were to be any, I'd imagine that it probably came from the game being a lot different in comparison to the typical Mario-esque game. Luigi's Mansion was definitely no platformer, and this might have easily turned off some people. If a Mario type game doesn't bear a resemblance to Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros. 3, then there is a lot to complain about.

Look at the hate Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Sunshine received. Two blacksheeps of the series, all due to their differences. Ironically, these two games are my favourite installments in the Mario series. :P

Though to be honest, this is just my suggestion. I don't think this game is probably compared that much to the Super Mario games; however, it could be due to how different the game was presented at first. Luigi's Mansion was a first attempt at that type of gameplay, and I guess some people just didn't like the style it followed.

Adding on to your response, games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 also tend to be vastly overrated.

I enjoyed Luigi's Mansion allot cause of the collectable items in it such as gems and gold bars and stuff and I hope that is continued in the sequel, but that would be annoying to Mario gamers who aren't accustomed to extras like that so that might be another reason.

Do... Do people hate it? D:! But it's a cool game! The only bad thing it had has been stated over the thread several times, and it's that it's too short and easy. Other than that, I consider it a very fresh breath of air to the Mario franchise as a whole. Plus, Luigi deserved to have the spotlight at least once. I think it's great it's getting a sequel (even though we haven't received news from that game in MONTHS... I guess we'll know more when this year's E3 comes).

About not having received information like this for months, Nintendo often put info droughts in upcoming games. I'm not really surprised, but I'm still impatient.

Yeah... I kind of forgot that game is even announced.

While I love Luigi's Mansion, this why I think people "hate" it:

1. They were expecting a Mario platformer as a GCN launch title, but got a Luigi spin-off instead.
2. Luigi controls much different than Mario does in N64, he doesn't run, he can't jump, and you have to use the C-Stick to rotate him.
3. While the game is short, it's very slow paced.
4. It's not a platformer.
5. A lot of parts in the game require you to just do the same thing over and over again.
6. It was kinda just a GCN tech demo.

So I guess the reason why LM gets hate is because it's too different from the Mario 3D platformers.

You didn't have to necro it, you know.

They might be reasons people hate it, but I see more people like Luigi's Mansion than hate it. Especially during the stagnant era of New Super Mario crapfaces, we need more games like Luigi's Mansion. Of course, we got a sequel, but I mean we need fresh games.

I hate it because Mario goes through situations that would otherwise kill a real human.

lol, this was a long time ago and these days, luigi's mansion is not hated, every nintendo fan loves it, i cant find anybody hating luigi's mansion these days

Luigi's Mansion was never "hated", even said so in this thread over 8 years ago. At worst, people probably didn't like the mission structure in Luigi's Mansion 2 or they felt Luigi's Mansion original was a bit short (either way it's like saying people *hate, hate, hate!* Mario Odyssey because ... the boss fights were underwhelming??). People either tend to really like Luigi's Mansion or are indifferent to it.

Why are all of these "resurrected" threads exactly from 2012?

Also I've barely seen anyone talk about Luigi's Mansion 3 after it got released lol.

I've never seen major hate for Luigi's Mansion 1.

Back