Melee vs. Brawl

Really? I find Ganondorf's molest to be way too slow.

Samus has a better molest without all her armor, in my opinion.

I find Melee's physics to be better than Brawls (I hate perfect shielding!). It made me go back into the game more times than Brawl.

However, Brawl had more replayability and decent music. You can also hack it

I wouldn't go back to Brawl if it weren't for stuff like Homebrew, Brawl Vault, texture hacks, model imports, moveset hacking, music swapping, etc.

Melee had a much better gameplay and the computers were fun to play against.

Yoshiwaker and I donated our Gamecube along with a score of other great games to our church recently.

What's the most played, you ask?

Yup, Melee.

That said, I'm in a better position now to comment on the differences than I was earlier because I've played it more recently.

why

why was marth nerfed

also why was fox nerfed

Basically, what happens is Yoshiwaker and I dominate the games (he mains Fox and seconds Roy, I main Marth and second Young Link) and I'm slightly better.

And let me tell you all this: Melee has no tripping, so is therefore awesome.

Marth isn't necessarily nerfed. He's still in a good tier list position.

Why was Mario nerfed? He wasn't an excellent character to start with anyway.

Marth may not have been nerfed, but his attacks seem more sluggish and he doesn't dominate the game like he does in Melee.

I suppose it's attributable to the gameplay changes and new characters, though, so not too bad.

Fox nerf though - why.
'3K said:
Dr. Javelin said:
why was marth nerfed

also why was fox nerfed
WHY CAN'T SAMUS FREAKING KILL
True, the Samus nerf was arguably the worst nerf of all of them.

But hey, we do get Zero Suit Samus as an added bonus, and she isn't a bad fighter, so...

Link was nerfed from a bad character to a worse character. -_- I feel sorry for him for being bad in all three games.

I'm actually surprisingly good with Link in Brawl - his shield blocks projectiles well if you know how to use it, which is a nifty trick that most people don't expect. One trick is to walk forward by tapping the left/right direction so that he shifts between his walk animation and his idle animation, which keeps his shield in front of him.

Also, his main problem is his high learning curve - meaning, if you can get good with him, he's actually a rather good character.

I've always been good with Link...not Toon Link, though. I don't like him as much.

Ornithologist Mario said:
Link was nerfed from a bad character to a worse character. -_- I feel sorry for him for being bad in all three games.

From what I've gathered, Melee Link is the best of the three, considering that his recovery is much more effective in that game.

Also, his Up B is a very effective edge guarder since it makes opponents fly away so quickly.

Still, there are much better characters than link in Melee.

Also, his Up B is a very effective edge guarder since it makes opponents fly away so quickly.

Still, there are much better characters than link in Melee.

The ironic part is that because of the Bombs, it can be quite hard to even get close to Link. But obviously, in the competitive environment, players would know to use their shields to render those Bombs useless.

RandomGuy said:
I sometimes wonder whether Sakurai made Meta Knight ridiculously powerful on purpose

Well he is the creator of the Kirby series. Ironically, Kirby really hasn't been at his best since the N64 days.

MnSG said:
RandomGuy said:
I sometimes wonder whether Sakurai made Meta Knight ridiculously powerful on purpose

Well he is the creator of the Kirby series. Ironically, Kirby really hasn't been at his best since the N64 days.
Are you saying that the newer Kirby games aren't good?

Drilbur said:
MnSG said:
RandomGuy said:

Are you saying that the newer Kirby games aren't good?

He means Kirby in the Smash series. Kirby was one of the best fighters in SSB64, but he got badly nerfed in Melee, and only got somewhat better in Brawl.

Also Sakurai is very modest about the Kirby series. He wouldn't have made Meta Knight the best character on purpose. If he was a bit too prideful of Kirby, we would of seen Dedede or Meta Knight back in SSB64 and Melee.

Northern Verve said:
Also Sakurai is very modest about the Kirby series. He wouldn't have made Meta Knight the best character on purpose. If he was a bit too prideful of Kirby, we would of seen Dedede or Meta Knight back in SSB64 and Melee.

But then again, all three of these characters play a major role in the Subspace Emissary so maybe he does favor the Kirby series a bit

Well, people do test how good the characters are.

The problem is that characters have an unintentional advantage or disadvantage, like Meta Knight's infinite dimensional cape.

Cons of Brawl:
It's floatier than Melee.
You can't combo as well.
It's way too easy to recover.
They took out wavedashing.
The air dodge is simplified.
The tripping.

Pros of Brawl:
I CAN MAKE MARIO FIGHT SONIC!

Well, people do test how good the characters are.

The problem is that characters have an unintentional advantage or disadvantage, like Meta Knight's infinite dimensional cape.
That move is irrelevant; it's banned in most tournaments or any other competition worth playing.

Meta Knight is just good because of how insanely awesome his combos are.

'3K said:
Yoshiwalker said:
I still can't figure out how to kill anybody with Samus in Brawl.
You have to be good at nailing her Meteor Smash.
You have to turn items on and use the cheap Home Run Bat.

Course, that works for any player...

(and people say items aren't cheap...)

Back