Melee vs. Brawl

I do free-for-all matches against 3 CPUs all the time.

Besides fighting only one or 2 CPUs. I also put items on Low so it's not too chaotic but it's still fun enough when an item pops up. Also then again when you main Sonic the fastest character in the game you don't have to worry too much about being ganged up on when you can just attack, run, attack, and run some more.

I put 3 CPUs with items on high. It's mostly smart bombs and blast boxes. In Melee, however, I get Bob-ombs, Motion Sensor Bombs, Super Scopes, Screw Attacks, and Pokeballs.

One thing I like about Melee more than Brawl is that the Screw Attacks are throwable. It's possible to KO an opponent if the opponent steps on something that is supposed to blast him away, but you throw the Screw Attack before he can fly far. Then, he flies up, screwed attacked, and he turns into a star. It's like stealing a KO.

Melee also has Parasols, an item that's fun to use. The Pokemon is so much better than Brawl's too. I like how the CPU is so dumb when negotiating Motion Sensor Bombs.

Gosh, why is everyone hating Kirby and shitting themselves that he had a more major role than Mario or Link in the game? I mean, before that time, when was Kirby's last game? 2005, with Squeak Squad. And we all know how most of those criticized this game. And if you didn't know, SSE is basically any Kirby platformer game, with different enemies and textures, obviously.

Mario's: 2007 with SMG
Link's: 2006? with Twilight Princess, possibly 2007? with Phantom Hourglass

It was nice to see Kirby get some light shed on him. Better than making Mario and Link the main protagonist/major hero imo. They're overrated.

Northern Verve said:
Ornithologist Mario said:
I put 3 CPUs with items on high.

That's Insane
One of the most fun things to do in Smash is set Poke Balls as the only item, items on high, make all four players Pokemon characters, and play on Pokemon Stadium.

Also, 99 lives for more enjoyment.

so much fun

You know, in the past, I've had the habit of doing 2-on-2 matches with CPUs, and I have my side use the same character. I often like to compare my smash attack usage and grab attempts with my level 9 teammate, just to see how we differ in our attack methods.

For example, we're both Fox in Melee. But when I use Fox, I have the habit of using smash attacks a lot, whereas the CPU is prone to doing grab attempts, even when standing still. At one point, I've clocked my Fox doing as close to 100 smash attacks in a 5-minute match, while the level 9 Fox did as many as 70 grabs in 5 minutes. My grab attempts were often quite minimal, usually being less than 5.

My opponents are often Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, just because they're fun to annoy, and their recovery moves are easy to counter.

This also applies to Brawl, but it's not so fun when your foes can fight back with a vengeance. And the CPUs don't spam their grabs as much as they do in Melee.

Dr. Javelin said:
Northern Verve said:

That's Insane
One of the most fun things to do in Smash is set Poke Balls as the only item, items on high, make all four players Pokemon characters, and play on Pokemon Stadium.

so much fun

Yeah that's pretty fun, but if that's Ornithologist Mario's default settings with matches no wonder he has a problem with CPUs ganging him up. Items are popping out everywhere and before you know it one has the Superspicy Curry, another almost has all 3 pieces to the Dragoon thing, and the 3rd one has the Smash Ball

Northern Verve said:
Yeah that's pretty fun, but if that's Ornithologist Mario's default settings with matches no wonder he has a problem with CPUs ganging him up. Items are popping out everywhere and before you know it one has the Superspicy Curry, another almost has all 3 pieces to the Dragoon thing, and the 3rd one has the Smash Ball
Hence why I always play without items.

Also, Ornithologist Mario = LeftyGreenMario
[quote author=Userpedia, BLOF's page]LeftyGreenMario is BabyLuigiOnFire's best friend and twin sister.[/quote]

I do play with 3 CPUs often (since my brother is horrible at the game lol and my friends don't really play it) and it's not so bad. Though I do it without items. Sometimes if I'm REALLY bored I'll do a FFA, all CPUs the same character as me and set to level 9 :P Takes me 2 hours to finish, but at least I boost my characters up my brawl records ranking lol

Northern Verve said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Northern Verve said:

That's Insane

so much fun

Honestly, I can manage with that. I don't use any of those items anyway. I use Smart Bombs and Blast Boxes. The Smash Ball, I turn it off as if leaving it on would ignite mass destruction. I hate the Smash Ball.

Playing against 3 CPUs in Melee in Free-for-all is still much funner. I even destroy them in 1 vs. 3 matches sometimes. In Melee, I also set the Self-Destruct to -2, so if there's a self destruct, the player loses two points instead of one. User self destructs get -3

From MnSG's observations and from my year-long experience of killing the lv. 9 CPU in Melee, the lv. 9 CPU DO grab very often. They often use their A neutral attack as well. Fox also tries to use his deflector once he steps on a mine. The best way to throw an item at a CPU is when the CPU attempts to attack or is in the air. Otherwise, chances are, the CPU (any CPU opponent, not just Fox) will reflect the item at you.

P.S. I'm female. :)

Gamefreak75 said:
Gosh, why is everyone hating Kirby and *bleep*ting themselves that he had a more major role than Mario or Link in the game? I mean, before that time, when was Kirby's last game? 2005, with Squeak Squad. And we all know how most of those criticized this game. And if you didn't know, SSE is basically any Kirby platformer game, with different enemies and textures, obviously.

Mario's: 2007 with SMG
Link's: 2006? with Twilight Princess, possibly 2007? with Phantom Hourglass

It was nice to see Kirby get some light shed on him. Better than making Mario and Link the main protagonist/major hero imo. They're overrated.

All the Kirby characters get a big role. Besides, Kirby, the character, is overrated as well, more so than Mario, obviously. Also, it's a NINTENDO crossover, not a Kirby game with Nintendo characters. Logically, Mario and Link should at least get equally significant roles as Kirby.

The funny thing about Melee is that of all the level 9s, Bowser uses his shield the least, making him an easy target for just about any projectile. Heck, the additional fact that he spams Fire Breath adds to his weakness.

In terms of grab spamming, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Mr. Game & Watch are a couple level 9s who don't spam their grabs much, but the former and the latter do use their smash attacks pretty often.

In Brawl, almost every level 9 spams its smash attacks. Solid Snake is the only major exception.

Besides, Kirby, the character, is overrated as well, more so than Mario, obviously. Logically, Mario and Link should at least get equally significant roles as Kirby.
I agree with the latter, but do inform me on the former.

How is Kirby more overrated than Mario, who has been in about 10 times as many games as Kirby and is basically Nintendo's mascot? How many Mario games, spin-offs included, come out each year compared to Kirby?

Gamefreak75 said:
Besides, Kirby, the character, is overrated as well, more so than Mario, obviously. Logically, Mario and Link should at least get equally significant roles as Kirby.

How is Kirby more overrated than Mario, who has been in about 10 times as many games as Kirby and is basically Nintendo's mascot? How many Mario games, spin-offs included, come out each year compared to Kirby?

Uh not GAMES the role in Subspace Emissary. Mario and Links roles are literally non-existent.

Kirby on the other hand is one of the most impacting characters in the entire story, which is really weird.

MnSG said:
The funny thing about Melee is that of all the level 9s, Bowser uses his shield the least, making him an easy target for just about any projectile. Heck, the additional fact that he spams Fire Breath adds to his weakness.

In terms of grab spamming, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Mr. Game & Watch are a couple level 9s who don't spam their grabs much, but the former and the latter do use their smash attacks pretty often.

All Level 9s spam their neutral A attack in Melee. Any sort of neutral A attack, air, ground, whatever.

Gamefreak75 said:

Uh, how are the posts above relevant?

I mean overrated in terms of fandom, usually. Mario appears a lot, but almost everybody seems to like Kirby (heck, I like him).

So because it's a
NINTENDO crossover
, there can be no main characters, and they all have to have the exact same role? No character can contribute even a bit more to the story than the others?

Dr. Javelin said:
Northern Verve said:

That's Insane

so much fun

I do this all the time..

Drilbur said:
So because it's a
NINTENDO crossover
, there can be no main characters, and they all have to have the exact same role? No character can contribute even a bit more to the story than the others?

So you're glad Mario and Link are insignificant in SSE?

No more than I am that Donkey Kong, Samus, Yoshi, Fox, Pikachu, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Falco, Pit, Olimar, Lucas, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Ike, R.O.B., and Solid Snake are insignificant.

Back