Matlock said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Augie Doggie said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Augie Doggie said:
Jefferson Davis.

Why is he not on the list?

you're... you're joking, right?

He kept a whole country together during a war. Despite the Confederacy's loss, he managed to avoid a lot more damage than the South would have had.

But if I had to pick an American President, probably Andrew Jackson.

So... you're choosing the racist jackass who led the Confederacy, or the homicidal maniac who killed thousands of Native Americans?

Are you, perchance, a fucking moron?
Um most 19th century presidents were racists

Most of them, however, didn't lead a "nation" in seceding from America to ensure that black people still had shitty lives.

Nosferatu Man said:
Matlock said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Augie Doggie said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Augie Doggie said:
Jefferson Davis.

He kept a whole country together during a war. Despite the Confederacy's loss, he managed to avoid a lot more damage than the South would have had.

So... you're choosing the racist jackass who led the Confederacy, or the homicidal maniac who killed thousands of Native Americans?

Most of them, however, didn't lead a "nation" in seceding from America to ensure that black people still had shitty lives.
Look i'm not going to argue that but the fact is that Jefferson Davis wasn't a shitty president because he was a racist he was a shitty president because he was just a shitty president

Matlock said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Matlock said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Augie Doggie said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Augie Doggie said:
Jefferson Davis.

Look i'm not going to argue that but the fact is that Jefferson Davis wasn't a shitty president because he was a racist he was a shitty president because he was just a shitty president

I don't give a fuck whether he was a shitty president, my problem is that he's a shitty person.

I'm not going to say that slavery is good or that the Rebels had the right motives. He did, however, do a pretty good job of leading a country. Also, the Civil War wasn't started over slavery. It was started because the South was upset the North had more power.

May I also remind you that Lincoln originally said that he would "not interfere with the institute of slavery in the states where it already exists". But hey look. No more slavery after the Civil War.

Augie Doggie said:
I'm not going to say that slavery is good or that the Rebels had the right motives. He did, however, do a pretty good job of leading a country. Also, the Civil War wasn't started over slavery. It was started because the South was upset the North had more power.

Ooooh, I get it. You're a dumbass.

Augie Doggie said:
May I also remind you that Lincoln originally said that he would "not interfere with the institute of slavery in the states where it already exists". But hey look. No more slavery after the Civil War.

Yeah it sucks so much!!! I wish he hadn't broken his word about not interfering with slavery!!! If he hadn't broken his word, we might still be forcing thousands of black people into labor today!!!!!

No, look, in all seriousness, you're either a terrible human being or a fucking idiot if you're complaining about Lincoln ending slavery.

I already said I don't support slavery! And the war did become a war over slavery, but only after Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. Do you know what the Civil War was while it was being fought? The War Between the States. It was called the civil war sometime after. No one in America (at least no normal people) support slavery.

Drilbur said:
What do you mean? I copied this list from the Top 20 Greatest US Presidents list.
Then why the fuck is Dubya on there.

If I had to choose, I'd probably say Clinton or Carter. Not only they were able to get stuff done that needed to be done, such as semi-solving the oil crisis, being a voice for peace in troubled spots of the world, or patching up an economy, they were intelligent while doing it.

Sure, they had their flaws, like Clinton's scandal and subsequent impeachment, and Carter's inability to speak like a human being, but they could have been worse. Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, A. Jackson was a racist jackass, and the Bushes were, well... the Bushes.

Augie Doggie said:
I already said I don't support slavery! And the war did become a war over slavery, but only after Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. Do you know what the Civil War was while it was being fought? The War Between the States. It was called the civil war sometime after. No one in America (at least no normal people) support slavery.

oh, fair enough.

sorry, misunderstanding there

Peter Sam said:
Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, A. Jackson was a racist jackass, and the Bushes were, well... the Bushes.
The funny thing is that Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, even though he said something like "All men are created equal."

YoshiGo99 said:
Don't forget Obama
Three words: The national deficit.

I voted for FDR, Abraham Lincoln, and Jefferson

FDR spent a lot in his days and he improved the economy some what. Then, when he stopped funding the organizations, there comes the Roosevelt recession. So spending isn't always a bad thing, only if the money goes in the right places.

Besides, I don't think Obama caused the national deficit, but it's getting worse.

Nosferatu Man said:
Augie Doggie said:

oh, fair enough.

sorry, misunderstanding there

No hard feelings. I understand your side, too. But we try not to remember people who are a part of our history for the bad things they've done. We don't remember Columbus as the Native-American-mistreating-jerk that he was, but as an important explorer. We try to block out that Washington himself owned slaves.

The stimulus bill passed as soon as Obama got elected was supposed to turn the economy around, but it hasn't done squat except make the deficit larger.

Mario4Ever said:
Magus said:
YoshiGo99 said:
Don't forget Obama

Another ten: The GOP hasn't done any better at lowering the debt.
I do agree with this a good deal; they do make a good deal of poor decisions (particularly in a certain area of the stimulus bill), and in fact, the GOP isn't as economically conservative as I'd like a lot of the time. However, I do believe that the pork-barrel spending going on currently is a horrible way to run a country and must stop ASAP, and I see no way that will happen while Obama is in office given how he's acted.

Oh, the national deficit isn't Obama's fault, but it did increase significantly from something he said would revitalize the economy.

carcinoGeneticist said:
No hard feelings. I understand your side, too. But we try not to remember people who are a part of our history for the bad things they've done

That doesn't mean they didn't do them.

Dr. Javelin said:
Magus said:
YoshiGo99 said:
Don't forget Obama
Um, no.

That was really not Obama's fault, and if blame must be placed on one person then I would say Clinton.

Obama's just making it worse.

What's this? A conservative who doesn't think Obama is Satan?

Reasonable people are neat.

Magus said:
Oh, the national deficit isn't Obama's fault, but it did increase significantly from something he said would revitalize the economy.

It's kinda hard to revitalize the economy when a branch of the government essentially shoots everything down or gets it out half-assed.

Back