Frozen (Disney's The Snow Queen adaption)

Misty said:
I'm not sure if anyone replied to me, so I'll ask again. Should I watch this?
yes, it's one of my favorite animation movies
my sister enjoys analyzing disney movies for the feminist elements. she knows that there's a lot of misogyny in them, but she still likes pointing out the good parts

Amphituber said:
Michell said:
小龙怪 said:
Only if you like/can stand the semi-blandness of modern Disney moves. /unpopularopinion

In other words. Probably yeah.
old disney movies were mainly hypocritical/anti-feminist
most of them, when you analyze/think deeply, have horrible, depressing endings

That doesn't make them bad, though. They are simply a reflection of their eras. They can still tell a good story.
correct of course, they cn still be good movies
but they get marketed to kids as "this person is good, this one is evil" which when you analyze it, it normally isn't

Misty said:
I'm not sure if anyone replied to me, so I'll ask again. Should I watch this?
That's a hell yeah from me. Seriously, I even asked this question myself, cause I was a little on the fence, and it's safe to say that I made the right decision. I got a new film to add to my favourites, new characters to add to my favourite characters, and I think I fell in love with Elsa. <333

Shoutmon said:
oh, weird

i didn't like hans either, but not because he was a dick. i just found his character sort of unbelievable
Hans was definitely one of the weaker parts of the movie in my opinion. He needed his own song to help show his motivations and beliefs and whatnot.

My name is Hans and I come from the Southern Isles
And evil lurks underneath my friendly smiles
In my homeland I'm last in the succession
Unfortunate because I want King as my profession

Yes before me stands twelve older brothers
I hate them all - always heckling one another
I'd gladly kill them all to make our kingdom mine
But I don't think I could pull it off quite a dozen times

So IIIIIII came up with a master plaaaan
I'd fiiiind myself a better laaaand
To call my own
To give me the throne
For I was born to command
Not thirteenth in line to stand

But where, oh where, would I goooo?
After many years I now knooowwww
Arendelle - land of mystique and beauty
With only two heirs to the throne - and both are lonely ladies
With a face like miiiine
I'll surely win one in no time
And bring myself into their line - of succession

For I was born to command
Before the throne to stand
With the sceptre and the ball
I will one day rule them all
Southern Isles or Arendelle - either one is fine
And one of them will soon be mine
All miiiiine!

My crack theory about Frozen:
Remember how Kristoff became the ice deliverer at the end? Well, soon after, he also delivered other things, even giving away free stuff on a certain day.

He grew very close to Anna, and he began to have feelings for her. They planned to get married, but she sadly died before they could. Years later, he married Elsa.

However, one day Elsa and Kristoff got into a big fight. Elsa accidentally froze him. Although he survived, he never fully healed. His hair turned completely white. He became really depressed, drowning his sorrows in cookies. Eventually, he secluded himself from everyone and moved to the Arctic.

Years pass, Elsa decides to locate Kristoff. She eventually finds him and Sven. She tries to convince him to come back, but he refuses. However, he agrees to come back for one day. Since it was the special day from before, he gave away free items to everyone. When he saw the happy faces on the faces of the people, he was finally happy again. He decided that he once again will deliver to everyone once a year.

Back at Kristoff's new house in the Arctic, Sven meets a female reindeer. They fall in love and have a litter of babies.

Their names?
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen

That's right.
Kristoff is Kris Kringle aka Santa Claus

Thanks for your time.

So, I know a lot of people have been calling this movie a great, progressive film, but I just came across this piece which strongly challenges those opinions and, in my opinion, appropriately states why they are misguided.

Yes, the article is anti-Frozen, but I think it is fair judgement of it.

Make of it what you will.

https://medium.com/@directordanic/the-problem-with-false-feminism-7c0bbc7252ef

ok so that's a stupidly long article so i skimmed it, but basically it comes down to

1. the women should have been stronger (that would be cool! here, let me show you my idea for elsa fighting people with magic powers in frozen 2)
2. there should have been more women (eh, i guess that would be good? but i don't see the problem because there's only four main characters (anna, elsa, hans, kristoff) and 50% were female)
3. anna's stupid (i fully agree with this one)
4. elsa's stupid (wellllllll......... kiiiinda but she has the excuses of 1. actually being dangerous and trying to protect others when she runs away and 2. being isolated for her entire life so she doesn't really understand the consequences of her actions very well)

i think the rest of the article is just them complaining about minor things. the real reason they're mad is because they were hoping they'd see a movie where there were super-strong female characters, and this wasn't it. i kinda agree with them there, but i guess i've kinda become used to not seeing any strong female characters (can someone please make a WWII movie about the Eastern Front where we see awesome female Russian snipers or something? that'd be awesome)

so... yeah. it looks to me more like they were unhappy with the females in the movie and decided that was the only thing important in movies and so they didn't like it. i guess they're really more mad about how everyone's obsessing over it being a huge feminist movie when it isn't, and i can agree with that too

still kinda silly to hate the entire movie because of that, though. feminism isn't the only thing important in movies

Well considering the point was to debunk the idea that it's the Holy Grail of feminism I guess it achieved its goal, then. :b

I agree with the author that Let It Go is not about Elsa coming out of the closet. Like the first time I heard someone say that, I laughed so hard and when they said they were serious, I told them that I felt so sorry for them. Seriously, if Let It Go meant that, there should have been a plot or subplot about it, but there wasn't. You can't just infer these things. Don't get me wrong, but if Let It Go, was actually about that, I would have liked it.

Viridi said:
ok so that's a stupidly long article so i skimmed it, but basically it comes down to

1. the women should have been stronger (that would be cool! here, let me show you my idea for elsa fighting people with magic powers in frozen 2)
2. there should have been more women (eh, i guess that would be good? but i don't see the problem because there's only four main characters (anna, elsa, hans, kristoff) and 50% were female)
3. anna's stupid (i fully agree with this one)
4. elsa's stupid (wellllllll......... kiiiinda but she has the excuses of 1. actually being dangerous and trying to protect others when she runs away and 2. being isolated for her entire life so she doesn't really understand the consequences of her actions very well)

i think the rest of the article is just them complaining about minor things. the real reason they're mad is because they were hoping they'd see a movie where there were super-strong female characters, and this wasn't it. i kinda agree with them there, but i guess i've kinda become used to not seeing any strong female characters (can someone please make a WWII movie about the Eastern Front where we see awesome female Russian snipers or something? that'd be awesome)

so... yeah. it looks to me more like they were unhappy with the females in the movie and decided that was the only thing important in movies and so they didn't like it. i guess they're really more mad about how everyone's obsessing over it being a huge feminist movie when it isn't, and i can agree with that too

still kinda silly to hate the entire movie because of that, though. feminism isn't the only thing important in movies
Excuse me! I am in the room!

Yui Hirasawa said:
Well considering the point was to debunk the idea that it's the Holy Grail of feminism I guess it achieved its goal, then. :b

I never got that impression from the movie, so the fact that the idea even exists to debunk confused the hell out of me.

Mario4Ever said:
Yui Hirasawa said:

I never got that impression from the movie, so the fact that the idea even exists to debunk confused the hell out of me.

Pretty much this.

How was the movie was supposed to be about feminism or is it just people pushing their agenda on it? I thought the entire point of the movie, or at least the most important piece it tried to demonstrate, was that "true love" doesn't have to be between a man and a woman/husband and wife and that it can be between siblings.

Per.

So just because the main character is a girl, that means it's supposed to be feminism? I don't think so.

Magolor said:
Mario4Ever said:
Yui Hirasawa said:

Pretty much this.

How was the movie was supposed to be about feminism or is it just people pushing their agenda on it? I thought the entire point of the movie, or at least the most important piece it tried to demonstrate, was that "true love" doesn't have to be between a man and a woman/husband and wife and that it can be between siblings.
Because hurr durr female protagonists = feminist icon.

Yui Hirasawa said:
So, I know a lot of people have been calling this movie a great, progressive film, but I just came across this piece which strongly challenges those opinions and, in my opinion, appropriately states why they are misguided.

Yes, the article is anti-Frozen, but I think it is fair judgement of it.

Make of it what you will.

https://medium.com/@directordanic/the-problem-with-false-feminism-7c0bbc7252ef

Honestly, I think that this article is overanalyzing the movie.

Back