Kid Icarus: Uprising

Completed all 25 chapters. The game really leaves a lot of loose ends. Like Magnus. Even at the end of the game you know hardly anything about him, except that he's strong and knew Gaol. Or the Aurum, why the hell did they attack? Or the Chaos Kin, who seems like an evil genius at first but then turns out to be a bug. Also he has zero backstory, like Magnus and the Aurum.

Still, the weirdest part to me was that nobody ever brought up the fact that 3 fucking years passed after you defeat the Aurum (except Magnus once). Also nothing really major seems to have happened in those years, and for some reason no one came looking for Pit either.

New Super Mario said:
Dark Pit is pretty cool. He just looks awesome.

I like Palutena a lot, but sometimes she has that, you know "personality" of hers that bugs me.
He looks awesome... He's Pit, but wears black... Gosh, if it was THAT easy to look "awesome", I'd trade in my entire wardrobe and dye my hair black and hang out with all the other goth kids, preferably the emo goth kids who all talk about doom and gloom every day of their lives.

In all seriousness, I never really "got" the idea of who evil twins are so damn popular. Usually they're just evil copies of the main character, and in that regard, they're almost always shallow, hollow, and one-note, with no defining characteristics or personality other then then they're "bad". Ooo, aaa, look at him, he's such a bad boy! EVERYONE wants the BAD BOY, not those wimpy little goody-two-shoes!

Personally, if there IS an evil character, I'd like there to be a more interesting design or at least SOME defining characteristics other then he'd bad. Like Wario! Sure he started out just being an evil doppleganger, but there was a bit more to him then just his hatred for Mario. Like his greed! His ridiculous arm strength! And his various odd transformations. Plus, while he DOES look like Mario, he has more exaggerated traits, such as being really fat, even crazier mustache, and his colors are the inverse of Mario's.

I also like Waluigi, who IS pretty much a a one-note evil "twin", but he's still got that exaggerated traits like Wario, and unlike Dark Pit and other evil twins, he's most played for laughs and a sidekick to the more popular Wario.

Like I said, Dark Pit manages to be slightly more interesting in that he invokes a decent point about Pit's stance in his loyalty to Palutena. He's rather be free from any kind of control, and it's hard to argue with him, since, even though she's the Goddess of Light, we haven't really seem much of her "good" side. She usually just lies around in the sky, gives Pit the Power of Flight, and offers tips and quips. Some of these quips, like the "abuse power because I'm a God", become less funny in light (no pun intended) of Dark Pit's argument for wanting to kill the original Pit and why he hates him.

It's funny, because before this game, I always imagined Palutena as the sort of flawless Goddess, the pinnacle of perfection, knows the right things to say, and if she DOES do something questionable, it'll be in that Dumbledore, chess-master sort of mysterious way where you know everything is going to work out and that her heart is always in the right place... Maybe if we saw more of her, or know for certain if she's really being serious when she says things like that...

Then again, this IS just chapter 6 out of, what, 25 chapters I'm told? Who knows, maybe this will be further explored as we play the game.

BTW Mijselffan, if you've finished the game, please keep what you say in spoilers.

How does the multiplayer work again? I assume there are friend codes involved...

Also, chapter 7... It has awesome remixes of the Overworld and Fortress themes from the original game! Also, you know those snakes that attacked you while fighting Medusa in the original game? Yeah, well apparently he's actually the Lord/God of the Dead and now calls himself Thanatos (instead of Tanatos) and he's a shape-shifter. Biggest retcon I've seen yet in this game.

Also, Poseidon is in this game, that's cool. Still no Old Man Zues, though.

Something I found rather annoying is that Pit and Palutena are annoyed with Thanatos's talking, yet he brings up a good point, that they, or at least Pit, has been gabbing away a lot in this game, which is a good point. It's almost like Metroid: Other M, where now the main character can talk, and they talk full advantage of it by having them talk throughout the game. Although at LEAST Pit actually emotes when he speaks and he doesn't repeat the obvious... most of the time.

Another interesting point made in this chapter his Thanatos and his relationship with Medusa. Now, I kept getting hit and following into pits (ironic, no?), so I missed some of what he had to say, but the question was raised that
Since he's the God of the Dead, why does he serve under Medusa?

Of course, I accidentally spoiled myself a while back and found out Hades was the main/final villain in this game, but I know next to nothing about who he is, so I'm still ready for any kind of surprise this game throws at me.

I usually hate online multiplayer, because it's not that different from playing with the computer, only instead of the computer being a cheating bastard, the opponents you fight seem to purposefully act/play like dicks because they know they can get away with it without any kind of repercussions. With an actual friend, or even a total strange in the room, I can at least go "what the Hell?" to them or punch them in the face.

...Anyway, I beat chapters 8 & 9. The space pirates are surprisingly lame, but powerful, and
the final battle with Medusa was actually pretty epic... Then, batta-bing batta-boom, low and behold, Hades, the REAL ruler of the Underworld was behind things all along! Reviving Medusa through a bunch of "souls" and some past memories, just so he could keel enough people and collect their souls so he can use them to rule all!

Okay, first off, Palutena CLEARLY knew who he was, so why didn't she suspect that HE would be behind things? Why didn't Palutena tell Pit about him? How many other things is Palutena keeping from Pit? And Pit just goes along with it? I'm sorry, but Dark Pit has a point, he just blindly obeys anything Palutena says for him to do without question, and while that IS kind of a good thing, I can't help but feel this is kind of unfair and one-sided. Pit really needs to learn to think for himself, and I hope it comes to that later on...

I also have to wonder, if Hades is the REAL ruler of the Underworld, then what was up with Medusa claiming to be the ruler and controlling the underworld army? Not to mention, Thanatos, the God of the dead, was following her. Did he, Pandora, or anyone else know about Hades before then? Hopefully, this will be explained further, the more I play...

That said, the fake end credits at the end of chapter 9 WAS really funny, and a cute homage to the original!

New Super Mario said:
So why is the game called Kid Icarus? Is Icarus a character or something?
It goes WAAAAAAY back to the first game. In Japan, the game is called Hikari Shinwa: Palutena no Kagami, or "Light Mythology: Palutena's Mirror". That would probably be too much of a mouthful for Western players, and... I guess Pit is pretty similar Icarus, a boy who had wings, which he lost by flying to close to the sun. I'll have to look into the exact origin of the name...

BTW, I just beat chapter 10.

Hades is an intriguing villain... I mean, I thought there was something beyond the "revive this child's parents" wish he made up, but to think he made up the entire Wish Seed story... I also thought it was weird that Palutena sent Pit to go get it, even though the Wish Seed apparently already HAS a guardian, so basically what Palutena's telling Pit to do is to go beat up this guardian protecting the MacGuffin... so that THEY can get the MacGuffin, because they're CLEARLY better at protecting it then the original guardian... Is that right? Seriously, I as much as they try to make Palutena a good guy, with each new chapter, I'm CONSTANTLY questioning her motives, actions, and words. Pit annoys me, not because of his voice or his incredibly painful quips and jokes, but because just goes along with all this without question! It's kind of unnerving how loyal he is to Palutena that he overlooks all of her shortcomings...

Also, Hades's motivation just seems to want as many people as possible to die just so he can collect their souls... Like being the God of the Underworld is some kind of flimsy justification to wan to see many people die. What's he going to do with all those souls anyway?

Not to mention, he tells everyone (the humans) that the Wish Seed has been taken and that they need to get it. Okay, first off, how is he telling the people this. Second, do the people KNOW it's Hades telling them this? Third, if they do, are they REALLY going to trust his word? Fourth, if they don't, WHY are they going to listen to some random voice they don't know?! Seriously, this story is so fucking confusing and I'm just praying that by the end it all makes sense!

The gameplay's quite good, the controls take some getting used to, but they're also good. The music is great, as is the voice acting and dialog.

Nintendo usually hires unknown voice actors, but there's a lot of well known voices in this game.

Smugleaf said:
The gameplay's quite good, the controls take some getting used to, but they're also good. The music is great, as is the voice acting and dialog.

Nintendo usually hires unknown voice actors, but there's a lot of well known voices in this game.
I initially heard that Johnny Young Bosch was Pit and Tara Strong was Palutena, but then I read there were different actors... Either way, it's MILES better then how they handled the voice acting in Metroid: Other M, which is ironic when you you consider that that's oneo f Nintendo's big franchises, while this is just a sequel to a fairly unknown franchise... a cult classic, sure, but still...

Anyway, I beat chapter 11:

I didn't expect Virdi to be a little girl, but she raise a LOT of valid points, and points out the hypocrisy of Palutena a lot. That said, I DO agree her methods are extreme, but that being said, I'd much rather follow her then Palutena, who always seems to be hiding something, and her "sense of humor" doesn't help matters...

I did like the joke about the Centurions. Yeah, they're pretty pathetic, once you get down to it.

I also like Cragalanche "the Mighty". Rock creatures are always awesome!

I was also surprised to see a Viridi checklist! MORE UNLOCKABLES!!!

Palutena is a divine god, so she can't interfere with anything. Also, I think she just doesn't want to get kidnapped.

I got the game and only beat the first two chapters.

Replayed Chapter 1 about 10 times, going up to 5 difficulty. Yep, that tank thing was a pain in the ass behind the intensity gate, but I got a Fortune Bow from it (ironically, I was using the Fortune Bow).

Didn't expect to fight Dark Lord Gaol so early though.

Controls are wonky though, but I'll get used to it.

Check out these new trailers/videos, most of them reveal huge plot details that don't come in until after chapter 9. You know, after
you defeat Medusa.

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT! Last chance...

BTW, I also just beat chapter 12:

The only thing that really stuck out to me in this chapter is Pit calling Viridi the "Goddess of Brutality". And his insistence that he only fights evil. He truly does see the world in black and white. So naive... I guess that's why he's so easy for Palutena to control. And seriously, she seems like a nice Goddess, especially compared to the other God, but come on, Pit's absolute faith and trust in her is almost sickening to a degree...

Just completed Pandora's Labyrinth of Deceit...

What the hell was that? Seemed like the original Star Fox design scheme.

Also, managed to go up to 7 intensity on Chapter 1 and 6 on Chap 2.

Also, the Metroid reference is funny. Of course they're not Metroids, they have a different color scheme.

(I still call them Metroids even though their names are like Komayto or something).

I just beat chapter 13:

I'm sure everyone who saw the Luna Sanctum was mentally quoting Star Wars... ;)

*bleep*, I mean Arlon (I love One Piece), is a very cool-looking sophisticated-type guy, I rather like that... a way, he also reminds me of Grand Moff Tarkin. Then again, this whole chapter, at least the flying half, feels very Star Wars-y.

I REALLY hate Pit's really stupidly naive outlook on life, and how he HATES associated Viridi's forces with the "bad guys" and all saying really stupid mindlessly evil grunts and growls. Clearly he's unaware of the Magnificent *bleep* trope, AND he's blissfully unaware that there ARE people who are good-intentioned but go about things the wrong way. In a way, Arlon is much like Pit... except WAY smarter and more laid back.

I feel bad for bashing on Pit so much, because it really is nice to see a Nintendo hero who ISN'T a silent, humble protagonist, or someone who CAN talk but has a lot of angst to deal with. It's refreshing, but painfully annoying as well.

Not to mention, Pit's one to talk, pointing out that he's being sarcastic to someone who (I assume) already knew that, when he himself has a hard time telling sarcasm... I GUESS that's part of the joke, but it still annoys me.

"I can't believe you're messing with me at a time like this!" Why not, she messes with you all the time. Or have you not noticed that? Seriously, unless there's some sort of secret romance Pit has for Palutena and THAT'S why he's willing to do whatever she says, I refuse to believe that Pit's this genuinely gullible.

Actually, Pit seems more like the usual silent protagonist just with a voice, he's a heroic psychopath who attacks and kills creature because he believes he's doing good, not to mention he recklessly charges into situations, much like Mario or Link would do, and he frequently falls for enemy ploys, like Kirby and SO many other video game protagonists do.

I died while fighting DARK PIT GODDAMMIT! Pittoo is a STUPID-ASS NAME, stop calling him that! Anyway, I died while fighting him, and I was near full health as well... geez... Also, I wonder what Arlon played to do with Dark Pit after he was finished with Pit... I mean, if he's stronger than Pit, and he loves fighting, he'll OBVIOUSLY turn his attacks on Viridi's forces.

Not to mention, Palutena points our how Dark Pit loves fighting, but then again, so does Pit. I suppose the only real difference is that Dark Pit likes fighting on his own turns, and yet she says Dark Pit's existence is "unnatural" and must be destroyed... It's a good thing Pit just goes along with whatever Palutena says. Really, this game is FULL of gray areas, and yet the player is forced to go along with Pit's idea of morals.

Palutena never covers her sneezes? GROSS! "A strong sneeze is the sign of a strong spirit" OR a really bad cold, and you should keep it to yourself! Seriously, Palutena is freaking WEIRD!

Righting Arlon was tough... I think I like this guy, probably one of my favorite bosses...

That thing that "escaped" from the Lunar Sanctum was probably Dark Pit... But it had a green glow to it? Hmm...

OH, and I just realized I had the Optical Blade equipped! It's almost like a light saber! ALL the Star Wars references! XD

Edit: Now I just beat chapter 14!

THANATOS IS BACK! WOO-HOO! Also, I heard of Phosphora... accidentally spoiling myself before... Apparently, she's a fan favorite or something...

Oh... Thanatos was defeated defeated by Phosphora... Boo-hoo. :'( That dragon form of his DID look a lot like his original form in Kid Icarus. Not to mention, I find it ironic that Thanatos, God of the Dead, had to be revived from BEING dead! XP

I also like how Palutena, Hades, and Viridi are all communicating with each other and their commanders. They all have such unique personalities to bounce off one-another...

Also, lightning =/= thunder, although you wouldn't think that while reading certain literature and watching certain movies and playing certain games...

Hades MAY seem careless about his troops, but he is right, most of them ARE just idiots. :/

Good LORD, this game's music is awesome! I've got to get the soundtrack for this game sometime!

Phosphera sounds like a total valley girl... I'm not sure what to make of that just yet... And Viridi can predict the future? Well... She certainly acts pretty childish and stubborn, so perhaps she KNOWS what's going to happen and just is to stubborn to really accept it... It WOULD make sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it turns out.

Man, this game's so addicting, the plot keeps getting thicker with each new chapter, it feels like it's really building up to something!

Just beat Chapter 13 as well.

Arlon is one of my favorites bosses so far, along with Hewdraw and Thanatos.

Also, I hate the Apple Cobbler things and the Skullcobbler. Terrible and cruel enemies.

Well I beat chapter 4 just then. Got it after school today. Just in time for holidays!

I also tried online.

It's amazing. I'm using some claw weapons I got from a prize in my first match. And now I'm pretty much claw based everything. I just can't use a different weapon better than I do with claws. And whenever I turn into pit our team loses. But usually I can get 1000 points because I don't die.

I don't want to brag but I think Im pretty good at light vs dark. Since ive won it for my team several times now. But status effects and stuff are my worst enemy. They kill me every time. But I love those long runs where you and your opponent just dogde and dodge until you land a Melee hit on them and destroy them.

I beat Chapter 9. Amazing. I want new weapons.

I hate the Reaper enemies too. Cause I shot at one enemy and didn't see the reaper behind it and shot it.

What weapon are you guys using currently?

I am using the Stealth Claws (235) but I may switch to something else

New Super Mario said:

I hate the Reaper enemies too. Cause I shot at one enemy and didn't see the reaper behind it and shot it.

I use the Tiger Claws (262)
It has 6 Bonuses
-Overall Defense +2
-Status Resistance +2
-Running Speed +4
-Evasion +1
-Backward Dash Continous Fire +2
-In-Peril Attack Boost +5

^I doubt something as Amazing as this will come by me anytime soon.

Also, I've won 6 out of the 7 Light VS Dark Matches, it says on my records.

I cannot wait for this game that I will get it on Monday and it is good to know that it have lightsaber

Monkey D. Luffy said:
New Super Mario said:

I use the Tiger Claws (262)
It has 6 Bonuses
-Overall Defense +2
-Status Resistance +2
-Running Speed +4
-Evasion +1
-Backward Dash Continous Fire +2
-In-Peril Attack Boost +5

^I doubt something as Amazing as this will come by me anytime soon.

Also, I've won 6 out of the 7 Light VS Dark Matches, it says on my records.
I just started using the Earthmaul Club (I think it is called. It is like 260 something). It is beast.

Back