Why nintendo? WHY? (Mario Kart 3DS new characters.

Which of these characters (pick as many as you want) would be better in Mario Kart 7 then Queen Bee?

• Total voters
I always found it interesting that Baby Wario was not chosen over Baby Daisy both in MK Wii and MSS. Perhaps Baby Daisy's reappearance in MSS was a promotion for MK Wii? Not that I particularly liked Baby Wario; however, it would make sense to add a pre-existing baby for a more major character instead of a newly created one for a slightly less major character.

Also I agree with the Baby Bowser part. Recent games have made him much too identical to Bowser Jr. in terms of both personality and design. As a result, the former is just no longer needed in the spin-offs since Bowser Jr. is a more common spin-off character now.

shockwave527 said:
Seriously? QUEEN BEE? There are so many other characters nintendo could have used then the never-asked-for queen bee or the never-heard-of-it metal mario. I just listed, oh, I don't know, EVERY CHARACTER THAT WOULD BE BETTER. And seriously, why not have waluigi, a main HUMAN character, and put in Queen Bee? Or return king boo, or bowser Jr., or Petey Piranha? Anyone else know any other good characters they should have added? Or maybe they should have added color-changing or something.

DIS IS SRS U GUISE

Propeller Toad said:
I always found it interesting that Baby Wario was not chosen over Baby Daisy both in MK Wii and MSS. Perhaps Baby Daisy's reappearance in MSS was a promotion for MK Wii? Not that I particularly liked Baby Wario; however, it would make sense to add a pre-existing baby for a more major character instead of a newly created one for a slightly less major character.

What I found more surprising that characters like Shy Guy and Paratroopa were not put in over Baby Peach and Baby Daisy. IMO, they were better character choices than the baby princesses.

I think Metal Mario is a much worse addition than Honey Queen, simply because he's a plain palette swap while Honey Queen takes effort to make. He's the only separate character who is basically just a palette swap in the series (still better than Baby Daisy though!). They could have put the Metal Box as an item instead of him filling an item slot but what it actually does is beyond me.

Baby DK > Baby Daisy, but I'm fine with Baby Peach's inclusion. Regarding Metal Mario, he and Dry Bowser have a lot in common, and yet it seems like more people complain about Metal Mario than Dry Bowser.

MnSG said:
Baby DK > Baby Daisy, but I'm fine with Baby Peach's inclusion. Regarding Metal Mario, he and Dry Bowser have a lot in common, and yet it seems like more people complain about Metal Mario than Dry Bowser.

Probably because Dry Bowser is a nod to New Super Mario Bros., which is a pretty recent game, and actually has a different model than Metal Mario.

I might be biased for Paratroopa as he was my MK DD main; however, even it deserved a spot more than Baby Daisy (by being a common enemy in the main Mario games) even while being a mere palette swap. Shy Guy himself also serves the same purpose and should have been in the game. Interestingly, we also had Petey Piranha available as well while having Dry Bowser. I guess Nintendo preferred Dry Bowser at that time (likely to advertise NSMB).

I agree with you that the Metal Box would have been a better choice than adding Metal Mario as an actual stand alone character. Ironically, I have been hearing that he is becoming quite popular and overused in the Wi-Fi mode races.

Propeller Toad said:
I agree with you that the Metal Box would have been a better choice than adding Metal Mario as an actual stand alone character. Ironically, I have been hearing that he is becoming quite popular and overused in the Wi-Fi mode races.

And the irony is, Metal Mario has the exact same stat boosts as Bowser, Wario, and Queen Bee.

MnSG said:
Propeller Toad said:

And the irony is, Metal Mario has the exact same stat boosts as Bowser, Wario, and Queen Bee.

Exactly. Why don't we see more heavy weights other than Metal Mario?

Unless those are the players who are willing to annoy the Waluigi fans (remember the uproar that occurred?). :P

I am rather mad that Waluigi never got in, but being a sore loser about it isn't the way to go.

I was never a fan of Waluigi; however, I also feel that it was very odd for Nintendo to remove Waluigi. By now, he felt like a staple and it is always odd to pull out the most commonly appearing characters. Especially when you consider that they added quite a few unexpected newcomers as well in this game...

shockwave527 said:
Seriously? QUEEN BEE? There are so many other characters nintendo could have used then the never-asked-for queen bee or the never-heard-of-it metal mario.
uh.... I agree with you with your thought toward some new racers are not really fit in
but some of your voting options are still weird..... so I give you "Seriously?" too

we introduce characters who never be in racing, so Diddy is excluded
but we say that new racers don't exactly mean to introduce new characters that have never been playable in spinoffs, though I think some others like Toadsworth, Pauline are deserved to be in spinoffs
excluding babies and Koopalins who are not able to be seperate (uh, had there been baby Rosalina?), also new species racers are already two there and you can't make other options of species

I think giving chances to minor characters who aren't Mario members is a nice thing, since they won't have any other future appearance in next spinoff

There is quite a big list of characters who should have got in over the Honey Queen.

New Christmas Yoshi said:
There is quite a big list of characters who should have got in over the Honey Queen.

Some of the characters though arent better replacements for Honey Queen IMO.

Pandapowah said:
New Christmas Yoshi said:

Some of the characters though arent better replacements for Honey Queen IMO.

Obviously, Waluigi wouldn't work, since he looks more like a Cruiser class racer. On the other hand, Donkey Kong should've been with the Heavy class from the get-go.

Hello Chris,
Waluigi's omission from Mario Kart 7 was a hard one for us here at Nintendo. It was due to the time constraints associated with the Christmas deadline for the game. Rest assured Waluigi will be making further appearances in the Mario series for at least the next few years. Also understand some characters, such as Waluigi, are more expendable then others and space was limited. The game needed Bowser, DK, Wario and it didnt need the few expendable characters that we here consider "cult classics". We needed a balance between new racers and our standards. Also, regarding Wario as an unlockable character for future games, that will not happen. This was a one-time instance to pay tribute to the SNES original and nothing more. Koopa Kid is retired.

Yasuyuki Oyagi

I voted for E. Gadd, Noki, and Hammer Bro.

I would love to see a comeback from E. Gadd and the Nokis, as well as their first appearance in Mario Kart.

I am still a bit mad that they chose Queen Bee out of all people. I mean, really. What an obscure character. They also didn't include Waluigi or the babies, which sucks.

It's funny, because you all complain about Queen Bee being obscure and appearing in a Mario Kart game, yet you don't complain about R.O.B.'s inclusion in Mario Kart DS.

Pinkie Pie said:
It's funny, because you all complain about Queen Bee being obscure and appearing in a Mario Kart game, yet you don't complain about R.O.B.'s inclusion in Mario Kart DS.

Well, you see, R.O.B. is cool. And he was a great inclusion to the game.

...That doesn't even relate to my point. R.O.B. is obscure. Most of you probably wouldn't know him if it wasn't for MKDS.

If I remember correctly, ROB had a pretty harsh time as during the releases of both Mario Kart DS and Super Smash Bros. Brawl (especially the latter). Very few knew who he was, and many were upset that he made it over other characters. As UM was saying, this is exactly the same case as we have here.

However, the only difference is the fact that ROB is now accepted by the Mario fans due to time. It took time, but eventually more people used him in the games and came to like him. I have a feeling that Queen Bee/Metal Mario/Wiggler will probably be of the same case (initialy hate, and then develop fans).

I consider the inclusion of the others newcomers worse than Queen Bee, she at least is a new Mario character and is not a random enemy or a metal version of someone... but I still would prefer more expressive newcomers. I was so sure E. Gadd would be in MK7 because of Luigi's Mansion 2... :'( (I voted him btw)

Well, Waluigi's omission is sad but now it is irrefutable.

KingBooWarioSir said:
Hello Chris,
Waluigi's omission from Mario Kart 7 was a hard one for us here at Nintendo. It was due to the time constraints associated with the Christmas deadline for the game. Rest assured Waluigi will be making further appearances in the Mario series for at least the next few years. Also understand some characters, such as Waluigi, are more expendable then others and space was limited. The game needed Bowser, DK, Wario and it didnt need the few expendable characters that we here consider "cult classics". We needed a balance between new racers and our standards. Also, regarding Wario as an unlockable character for future games, that will not happen. This was a one-time instance to pay tribute to the SNES original and nothing more. Koopa Kid is retired.

Yasuyuki Oyagi
Is it an official response from Nintendo? Oh Koopa Kid... I'll miss you!

I already knew they were paying tribute to the SNES one because the main 8 were from the SNES. That's why Wario being unlockable was there. I thought that part was obvious.

One interesting thing about the unlockable veterans is the fact that they all made their introductions from different Mario Kart games.

Wario - Mario Kart 64
Daisy - Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Shy Guy - Mario Kart DS
Rosalina - Mario Kart Wii

...a coincidence?

Back