Abortion: Your Stand

Is abortion the killing of another life?

• Total voters
^ I never had a quote in my sig but I want to put that in mine.

Marioguy1 said:
Now I understand where your opinion is coming from. If you think humans are just other animals, then it has obviously desensitized you to issues such as this.

I don't quite understand why you make a distinction between humans and other animals (barring intelligence).

Mario4Ever said:
Marioguy1 said:
Now I understand where your opinion is coming from. If you think humans are just other animals, then it has obviously desensitized you to issues such as this.

I don't quite understand why you make a distinction between humans and other animals (barring intelligence).

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/humanspark/

Read that, and watch the movie. That sums up part of it, I guess. Yes, we're animals, technically; but there is a huge difference between the domesticated dog and your mother (hopefully). I think our ability to have a discussion like this should be proof enough, but I guess not.

MarioHearts said:
uh i'll be called stupid but what's abortion :confused:

I think for your sake you should just ignore this topic and forget it exists.

Hypnotoad said:
Mario4Ever said:
Marioguy1 said:

Read that, and watch the movie. That sums up part of it, I guess. Yes, we're animals, technically; but there is a huge difference between the domesticated dog and your mother (hopefully). I think our ability to have a discussion like this should be proof enough, but I guess not.
I think the fact that I'm currently over three hours away from you and contacting you instantly is proof enough, never mind that we are able to have an ~intelligent conversation.

Hypnotoad said:
Mario4Ever said:
Marioguy1 said:

Sure, there's a difference, but not significant enough that we need to elevate ourselves above every other lifeform on the planet. Why do you think we're not in a class (taxonomically speaking) by ourselves? It's not from any sort of required humility.

Mario4Ever said:
Hypnotoad said:
Mario4Ever said:
Marioguy1 said:

Sure, there's a difference, but not significant enough that we need to elevate ourselves above every other lifeform on the planet. Why do you think we're not in a class (taxonomically speaking) by ourselves? It's not from any sort of required humility.

I think I'm going to have to ask you to also take some basic biology and ecology courses before you also go off pretending to be Dr. Scientist. It's not any sort of humility or pride or anything. There is a difference between us and an ape. Being about 98% identical in DNA, being in related taxa, etc. does agree with the fact that we are also animals; but that does not deny that there is something unique about us. Do you have some other species that you suggest be higher than us, or even equal? If you want to continue with that belief, please leave all sorts of technology and return to the Tanzanian forests.

Also:
Mrs. Hedlund said:
MarioHearts said:
uh i'll be called stupid but what's abortion :confused:
Stupid posts belong in stupid threads! CONGRATS! :D

If you don't like the topic, you can go away as well. You don't need to be all "HURRR THIS TOPIC IS DUMB", but essentially contribute to it. There are many other topics you can focus on, so please do as such.

Sure, just as other animals have unique qualities in comparison to other animals. My point is that having unique qualities =/= being superior. Also, do you have any other points other than intelligence? Are you familiar with Michael Beran's research?

Mrs. Hedlund said:
I did contribute early on, I got shit for it. I think it's so lame to see people argue about this. Yes, I know, I am avoiding this, but I came on once to see what happened, and saw that post and laughed. EXCUUUUUSE ME for not being as mature and smart as YOU.

Plus, who are YOU to tell me what to do?

I was just offering a suggestion that would have the greatest outcome for everyone--us, with you not posting nonsense; you, for not making yourself look like a fool. You certainly are proving that you are less mature and smart by making a comment like that. Congrats.

Also, rather than making this topic out to be a discussion on humanity, let's bring it back to the on-topic issue, or perhaps try to link the previous posts back. How about: Why does the fact that we're animals make it so abortion is an ok thing?

(For clarification, I'm pro-choice, I'm just slightly playing Devil's Advocate)

Probably because it's not unheard of among other members of the animal kingdom, and I think that because in abortion, there is no face-to-face interaction between the fetus and the abortionist, we're able to dissociate ourselves from a "this is murder" mentality.

I would argue that he is better than everyone on this forum for various reasons that are not particularly relevant to the discussion at hand, but he's at least better than you right now because he's not an overemotional, uninformed, noncontributing bimbo like you are.

Seriously, NQ. Just stop it. You're embarrassing yourself.

Mrs. Hedlund said:
Bitch, you don't know me. So don't say that about me.
Then stop giving me reason to say that about you. You can do that right now by not posting in this thread. Is it really so hard?

also;
Mario4Ever said:
I think that because in abortion, there is no face-to-face interaction between the fetus and the abortionist, we're able to dissociate ourselves from a "this is murder" mentality.
You know... that sounds exactly like what sociopaths and serial killers do to justify torturing other human beings. Not implying anything, by the way... no way, I'm just saying!

Crocodile Dippy said:
Mario4Ever said:
I think that because in abortion, there is no face-to-face interaction between the fetus and the abortionist, we're able to dissociate ourselves from a "this is murder" mentality.
You know... that sounds exactly like what sociopaths and serial killers do to justify torturing other human beings. Not implying anything, by the way... no way, I'm just saying!

It actually is ._. Neutralizing a murder is what contract killers do so they can live with what they've done. They remove all of their emotions and treat it as a job--they make it into a 'natural' thing, rather than it already being inherent. Perhaps the idea of disassociating should be put on the mother who's getting the abortion, rather than the doctor simply carrying out his job?

I can see your point there, for in order to carry out an abortion, mothers usually have to convince themselves that the fetus is unimportant...perhaps it also has to do with the fact that there isn't really a relationship between mother and child until after birth. Not reflecting my personal views or anything, but the more attached one is to something, the less he or she wants it dead.

Unless your trolling, abortion is the deliberate removal of a developing baby inside of the womb, basically, as all of us agree, killing it, but were debating if it's the killing of a life.

I feel that abortion is sort of killing, but how can something be killed if it wasn't born?

I also feel that abortion should be allowed in cases of rape and incest, as well as if it's guaranteed that the fetus has some sort of medical condition that will cause it to die within ten years (note how I said guaranteed. I seriously mean 100% guaranteed, not "probably".)

Some of the arguments I've seen in this thread have holes in them. If condoms do fail to work, there are other methods besides abortion that can be used (such as the morning-after pill). As for STD's, condoms can prevent those if they don't break. You can still avoid pregnancy if condoms break, but not STDs.

Back