The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai/Super Thread

Dragon Ball Super is over. What did you think of it?

• Indifferent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disliked it

• Hated it

• Total voters
This most recent arc has been great. It's been fun to see the recruiting process, but I think I'm ready for the tournament to start now. I need some more #17 fight scenes in my life.

I think Goku Black is my favorite new character introduced, well also Beerus and Whis, but they're technically from BoG.

I just hope the battles stay as focussed on tactics as they've been so far in this arc. It was great seeing Krillin of all people to almost get the drop on Goku by outsmarting him.

Also, the prospect of seeing 18 and Krillin as a battle couple is pretty amazing.

Yeah, the teamwork is what I'm looking forward to the most. And not just fan service-y things like the 18 / Krillin couple battle. I want to see crazy, out there combinations like Roshi and Buu working together, or Gohan and Vegeta.

considering its a battle royale and all im pretty sure the tactics will be there plus some fights already have had to some tactics in some arcs too so maybe thats where the tournament of power arc will really set that up and its nice to see so many characers i like actually being in the action, aside from videl.

Although im quite curious if hit will be there and more curious to see how good this jiren is too.

Hit, and all the other Universe Six fighters are in the opening. It's quick, but they're there. We will be seeing Hit, Cabba, Frost, Magetta, and Botamo again.

I guarantee Hit is gonna be taken out by Jiren to show how tough he is.

yeah maybe, kinda hard to imagine though due to hit being so crazy.

This past episode was great. Piccolo and Gohan were definitely the highlights. Seeing Piccolo school Gohan on being too arrogant in combat was nice and seeing Gohan regain that lost power was cathartic. Plus, that severed arm blast was cool.

18 and Krillin sparring alongside our first look at Caulifla were both cool.

Episode titles have leaked. MASSIVE SPOILER

Apparently Buu is sleeping through the tournament again so a desperate Goku goes to hell recruit Freeza.

Yes, fucking FREEZA.

I really hate that Buu is getting screwed over again. He has sat out all of the past arcs aside from his fight with Basil, which admittedly, was awesome, and I was really looking forward to seeing him. Instead we have Freeza.

I wonder how the hell they'd convince him to join. He is most definitely not a team player and would not abide by the no killing rule, and who's to say that he won't kill Tien or Krillin the second he gets the chance?

They say Buu won't wake up for two months. Just stick him in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

This is lame.

I understand the merit of putting Freeza on the team from a writing perspective, because uneasy alliance setups like this can be interesting if done skillfully.

But if it really turns out the switcharoo sticks and isn't just a gag episode, this is one seriously clumsy way to implement it. It's a profoundly stupid marketing move to take Buu, who up til now really wasn't given anything to do in this new series and who people were waiting for, and dedicate several scenes to building hype for his return to relevancy, only to unceremoniously deflate all of that again and kick him off the roster. Using the same tired excuse that has been used twice before already, no less.

I don't really consider myself a Buu fan; My approach to the character is pretty much take it or leave it. But I feel for those who are, and who had their hopes built up to see more of him, only to get shafted yet again.

As for his replacement: It kind of makes me roll my eyes. I feel like the Freeza thing has been played out. He's had his arc/movie and they kind of failed to do anything interesting with him, probably because there WAS nothing substantial left to do with him. I think his story was concluded after Trunks cut him into ribbons. The only interesting thing left would have been for Vegeta to get the kill and thus closure for his own past. But then they didn't do that either, so... I don't see what yet another return will accomplish.

In terms of battle spectacle, Freeza is kind of... boring. Most of the intrigue of him as a villain came from his role in Goku and Vegeta's backstory, his sadistic personality, and the fact that he was on an entirely new scale of power that seemed absolutely insurmountable at the time. In terms of skill set though, Freeza is actually pretty vanilla. He's strong and he uses ki blasts. That's it. That's a rather hefty step down from Buu's set of weird abilities like absorption, transformation, being a weird blobmonster, etc.. To say nothing of other villains and what they could have brought to the table.

So yeah, rather eyebrow-raising move there on Toriyama's part. But he's known to enjoy messing with people, so it might be intentional.

I'm holding out for this to be a gag episode that Toei created merely for filler, but the fact that Buu does nothing in the opening or ending (aside from sleeping) does not bode well.

The only interesting thing I can see coming out of Freeza's return is him revealing that Beerus authorized the destruction of Planet Vegeta, which might cause Vegeta to turn on Beerus, but at this point I don't know if Vegeta cares anymore. I know Goku wouldn't care.

We might get an interesting interaction between him and Frost, who is already diet Freeza, but I still would much rather have Buu for sheer uniqueness.

At least with Freeza the Resurrection F arc will feel less pointless. As of right now it doesn't really fit with the rest of Super. Being the worst arc certainly doesn't help.

Honestly, I'm more upset about Buu being left out than Freeza being added. Using the same sleeping excuse for three arcs now is just lazy, lazy writing. He sleeps through Freeza's invasion, he sleeps through the Universe 6 tournament, and now he falls asleep during the tournament where the fate of the universe is at stake. This is after getting an Exhibition fight and getting a new slimmed down form. I'm starting to feel like they gave him the exhibition match out of pity to compensate for not being in the tournament.

I'll remain cautiously pessimistic (is that a thing?) I scoffed at the idea of an evil Goku and that ended up being the best Super arc so far.

I'd imagine Vegeta would still care. He cared enough to ask Cabba to show him the universe 6 version of Planet Sadal, so he hasn't completely detached himself from his saiyan heritage. I don't know if it would send him into full-blown rage, but he'd probably be at least pissed about it. Maybe giving him motivation to try and surpass Beerus and put him in his place.

Maybe they're worried Buu is overpowered for this situation? The tournament rules give Buu in particular a great advantage over everyone else. He can one-shot people with his candy beam (which is non-lethal by itself and can be reversed), has healing powers, and can technically remain inside the ring indefinitely by tearing off parts of himself and spreading them over the arena. But if that's the case, they really should have thought about that before hyping him and getting people's hopes up.

It's still lame though. Buu's departure robs the weak but skilled characters like Roshi, Tenshinhan, and Krillin of a great opportunity to substantially contribute. There's tactical merit to, say, Buu temporarily absorbing Roshi and gaining access to his wacky techniques and centuries of martial arts experience, while being able to use them at his own significally higher power level.

But I guess not.

Between the candy beam, absorption, regeneration, stretchyness, and healing I can see why he could be considered overpowered. But still, a strong enough opponent like Jiren, Toppo, or Hit could knock him outta the ring with sheer strength.

I still feel like there must be a way to wake him up. Whis can magic a baby out of Bulma but can't wake up Buu? From the leaks we already know that Vegeta will be going into the time chamber. Just stick Buu in there with him for his two month sleep!

Well people have fudged with the source code on Toei's website and have found this image.

-KaHXT-E8haJZeF22LbCA7kIQ3VcohYScZuz5_eiiVY.png

He even has the same pose as Buu in all the promotion. Looks like it's really happening.

Many pointed out that Krillin had a sweat drop in his official artwork. It make sense cause if Freeza replaces Buu in the team artwork, he'd be right behind Krillin.

Welp, that didn't look like a lead-in to some sort of one-off gag episode.

This all seems pretty final. Looks like they're really sticking with that strange decision.

I'm a little less upset and more intrigued. I'm interested in seeing what Freeza does, though the loss if Buu still stings. They could've ditched Tenshinhan instead, as he hasn't done much of anything. He's barely got a chance to shine in his own recruitment episode. And he promptly got trashed by Gohan the following episode. I better pull some cool stuff off at the tournament.

I like how varied the universes seem. U2 with the magic girl, U3 with the mechs, U10 with the macho guys, and U11 with the superheroes. U9 seems to be in deep shit right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Zen-O erases them on the spot if they show up with less than ten members. It seems the only real players are 6, 7, and 11.

Speaking of U6, get ready for Kale to go full Broly next episode.

After months of buildup, the Tournament of Power will soon be getting underway! The fighters will be arriving at the arena in this week's episode and based on revealed episode titles, the fighting will start next week. It's been a long time coming but it's finally here!

I must say, I was hesitant on Freeza's return but he's been handled so well these past couple of episodes. Can't wait to see how that whole thing pans out.

As far as the other universes go, U11 and U6 are looking like the primary threats. Toppo was able to keep up with SSJBKK Goku and Jiren is said to be even stronger than him. I foresee him knocking Hit out to establish himself as the guy to beat for this tournament. But we cannot count Universe 6 out completely. Hit will always be a force to be reckon with and who knows what Kale might do. Caulifla is also improving at an alarming rate. I would not be surprised if she goes SSJ3 for the tournament.

We have too little information on U4 and U2 so due to the lack of build-up I don't see them being too much of a threat. Though that Quitella is always scheming. Unfortunately U9 and U10 are looking pretty sad at this point. Poor Gowasu. Just dealt with Zamasu and now his universe is probably gonna get erased. U3 is up in the air but I don't see them lasting too long.

One more thing to note, based on the next episode preview, it seemed like there was someone from Yardrat entering, most likely from the U6 version of the planet. That will be cool to see.

I wonder if Baba's old friend The Devil has any chance of coming back in a worse-than-worst case scenario where they need someone who can insta-kill Freeza no matter how strong he gets. I mean, they bring back all kinds of other things that make the audience think "oh yeah that thing that could have been useful throughout most of Z"

I wonder if that would work since he's already dead. That would be a fun reference to the OG Dragon Ball though.

I must say, Freeza's attempt to sell out his own universe and jump ship completely changed my mind regarding him being a boring choice for the team. If he keeps doing shit like that, I'm sold on his inclusion. Bonus points if the blame is placed on Goku.

Also, I know they would never do it, but the idea of Goku getting hakai'd right before the tournament is hilarious. Just imagine everyone's reaction to the sheer absurdity of such a scenario.

Additionally, the "my hand slipped" scene between Goku and Freeza is now one of my favorite moments of interaction between these two characters. And that Golden transformation was some of the best animation I've seen on this show so far.

I await to see how Freeza and Frost get along. Should be very interesting.

It is common knowledge that Goku's power increases by a tremendous amount once he loses his short.

Goku looks like he just got done using the Raging Demon lol.

In this case, I think it'd be more appropriate to call it the Son Goku Satsu.

Back