More official "echo fighters" --- character texture swaps?

Re: One model for more than one player?

I think adding extra models/costumes could be a good idea.

Northern Verve said:
I like this idea to a degree. Not an entirely different character even if they're similar in some way.
Daisy is of course already a costume and I think it will stay that way. A Rosalina costume would be nice as well. But I don't think getting an official playable spot on a Smash Bros. Nah. Don't think so. Birdo's alot different from Yoshi. And Birdo's also not a character that deserves a Smash Bros. spot

We do care about characters for this game. But we want a wide representation of Nintendo as a whole and at the same time not wanting too many characters. On another note I hope they expand upon more alternate costumes for the fighters.
color change is easy, suit change is considerable
but it's very different from another character whom fans may hope to engage

the condition is that the character must be similar with the main one from SMB, in the body and way of attack
we don't say who have the "qualifications" to be in SMB (also Daisy, Birdo and others aren't major members?)
such as Mario's relatives in TV show never appear in game, but Mario can be hacked into them for similar looking (uh...)

Ornithologist Mario said:
I've seen Samus vertexed into Kyogre and there were no glitches associated with it.
That's a little extreme, though.
if it doesn't matter simply altering tex but completely different is meaningless in game
so the condition may be from same series and similar body shape

Dorayaki said:
(also Daisy, Birdo and others aren't major members?)

They might be major in Mario Spin-Offs. But no, Daisy and Birdo don't have a history important enough to be a playable character on their own in the Smash series.

Northern Verve said:
Dorayaki said:
(also Daisy, Birdo and others aren't major members?)

They might be major in Mario Spin-Offs. But no, Daisy and Birdo don't have a history important enough to be a playable character on their own in the Smash series.

The same also applies to Waluigi, since he too has been nothing more than a spin-off only character. His only involvement in Brawl was an Assist Trophy after all.

Waluigi was more involved that Birdo and Daisy, even though both Daisy and Birdo appeared in a mainstream game. Daisy and Birdo are just trophies in that game (not counting the recolor).

Northern Verve said:
uh, I didn't remember Birdo is from late history.....
Ornithologist Mario said:
Waluigi was more involved that Birdo and Daisy, even though both Daisy and Birdo appeared in a mainstream game. Daisy and Birdo are just trophies in that game (not counting the recolor).
it's getting off-topic so maybe halt here
as Marios series hold a concept of "main character group", it's not like other games with clear major and minor roles
probelms like allstar main games depnd on Mario staff themselves to solve, not doing with SSB here

Re: More official "costumes" (character texture swaps)?

Dr. Mario for Mario, with Dr. Mario sound effects and move effects as well

Super Smash Misty said:
Dr. Mario for Mario.
Sorry, I don't think most fans would regard that as a real character swap. Didn't you just go to this thread?:http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=29983.0

Super Smash Misty said:
Dr. Mario for Mario, with Dr. Mario sound effects and move effects as well
If Project M and other independent modders can do this, then surely, a AAA company can?

lol i see one of my old aliases

Re: More official "costumes" --- character texture swaps?

Super Smash Misty said:
He was considered different enough for Melee
It's more like the same character has two movests, not one moveset has two characters. :P

Weird, I didn't think this idea would be officially done. But just wish that they could do Funky or Shadow.

Although Miis are back, I wonder if they are going to have Miis don different costumes as recolours, or have a customisable menu specifically for designing Mii costumes.

Dorayaki said:
Weird, I didn't think this idea would be officially done. But just wish that they could do Funky or Shadow.

Wow, you're back! ...though I joined after you became inactive so I doubt we've interacted.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
Wow, you're back! ...though I joined after you became inactive so I doubt we've interacted.
Yeah, not really activated when SSB4 was released. We mentioned Dr. Mario and Rosalina and they ended up as independent fighters in SSB4. Not sure about the Kooaplins, would they also be called echo fighters in SSB5?

Dorayaki said:
winstein said:
Yeah, not really activated when SSB4 was released. We mentioned Dr. Mario and Rosalina and they ended up as independent fighters in SSB4. Not sure about the Kooaplins, would they also be called echo fighters in SSB5?

No, I don't think so. They have already been shown alongside Bowser Jr. in the trailer, which is a sign that they will once again be alternate costumes. Well, at least Daisy's her own character rather than an alternate costume of Peach (meaning she gets her own set of different colour palettes).

Thank you for reading.

Dorayaki said:
winstein said:
No.

I've seen this a few times and I want to just clear things up for other people. Not calling you out, just using you as an example. Echo Fighters are NOT costumes. In fact, we've had them for awhile now. Nearly 1 to 1 clones have been a thing since Melee. We just called them clones. Now they just have an official term with less negative connotation. Dark Pit and Lucina seem to have received very few changes since Smash 4 so they're still pretty close to their parent characters aside from a few numerical values and visual touches.

It seems echo fighters are distinct from semi-clones like Lucas, Falco, Luigi, Ganondorf, Roy, Toon Link, and even people who I'd still consider regular clones like Young Link, Pichu, and Dr. Mario. Those three may be further de-cloned still. It seems the echo term is being saved for clones who are almost identical moveset wise. Lucina shares all her animations but the damage values on all moves are different. And the two Pits differ only in final Smash and bow properties, and a few random properties on moves. We'll see what Daisy is like. We haven't seen her use vegetables at all which is interesting.

What's important to note is that semi-clones, clones, and echoes, are all given separate slots on the select screen. That's because even if they're minute, there exist small differences that get them classified as their own characters. Compare this to Alph and the Koopalings. They are identical in every way to their "parents" aside from model and the way their name appears. They are not semi-clones, clones, or even echoes. They're costumes. They're functionally no different than Kirby's blue costume is to Kirby.

Hope that helps explain things. I'm personally glad they're acknowledging clones and hope that the negative stigma goes away. I bet we'll see a few more echoes. It's a shame Alph didn't make it. The lack of assist trophies for Dark Samus, Isabelle, and Shadow, plus the presence of the Knuckles AT seem very telling and I wouldn't be shocked if those three made it in as echoes. It'd be a shame since Dark Samus has a lot of potential to be unique. I could also seem Impa as an echo, but sh eoculd also be so much more.

That being said, I do not want Dixie as an echo at all. She deserves to be her own thing, and she would not fit Diddy's animalistic style at all. That being said, I'm pessimistic about her chances as a non-echo.

I'd welcome Funky Kong as an echo fighter with open arms

Basically, an echo shares roughly the basic attributes of a character. This is Nintendo’s OFFICIAL definition.

• Walk and run speed
• General knockback
• General proportions
• General attack power
• Basic attack animations
• Jump Height
• Weight

However, echo characters have gameplay quirks that seperate them from the original fighter, like Lucina’s sword or Dark Pit’s arrows.

Echo characters can have any animation or gameplay attributes changed if it suits them more if the developers wish. For example, Daisy is the only echo to get new idle animations and she has tweaked animations for Parasol and Toad. Dark Pit has a completely different Final

Dr Mario is not an echo because he is stronger and slower. Pichu is weaker and faster and has widly different proportions to Pikachu.

Someone like Dixie or Shadow would be perfect for this classification since they share basic proportions, abilites and attributes, but are different enough to introduce a gameplay quirk.

memoryman3 said:
Someone like Dixie or Shadow would be perfect for this classification since they share basic proportions, abilites and attributes, but are different enough to introduce a gameplay quirk.
I don't see why Dixie would ever be a clone of Diddy.

Propeller Knight said:
memoryman3 said:
I don’t see why Dixie would ever be a clone of Diddy.

To be fair, all Echoes so far could very well be unique if they really tried. Dark Pit I hear usually used different weapons from Pit in Uprising. I'm sure someone who's more into Fire Emblem then I am could do good research on what a unique Lucina could be like. And Daisy did have some potential abilities shown in the spin-off titles that if she had gotten in as more full-fledged character might of helped her stand out from Peach.

Granted, I do get why Dixie being an echo of Diddy being a disappointment since it would likely mean unable to use her signature flight ability with her hair. It'd be like making Tails an Echo of Sonic, flight is part of their identity as characters. Take that away and their inclusion feels kind of hollow

But Echo Fighters kinda seem to be those characters that wouldn't get in any other way. So it's a bit of a double edged sword, they're in but they may not completely reflect their characters.

That said I do think Dixie if she's in would at least be a semi-clone off Diddy and have her flight ability. Plus she has a good enough resume to be her own fighter for sure.

I'd rather Dixie not be in than be an echo fighter.

Aside from a few visual differences, echoes have identical movesets. That would mean a Dixie moveset that doesn't involve her hair, and that's a travesty. Having her use the jetpack would also be dumb and out of character. Plus Diddy's animalistic style does not fit Dixie at all. Dixie deserves to be a Lucas level clone or better yet her own character. The roster being finalized in 2015 gives me hope that her appearance in Tropical Freeze would be considered to give her a unique slot. But if we're getting King K. Rool then I don't see us getting two brand new, unique DK fighters.

Northern Verve said:
Propeller Knight said:
memoryman3 said:
To be fair, all Echoes so far could very well be unique if they really tried. Dark Pit I hear usually used different weapons from Pit in Uprising. I'm sure someone who's more into Fire Emblem then I am could do good research on what a unique Lucina could be like. And Daisy did have some potential abilities shown in the spin-off titles that if she had gotten in as more full-fledged character might of helped her stand out from Peach.
yeah they could've easily given Lucina a lances/javelins/spears or something since she can use those after being promoted/having her class changed in FEA. hell she has an alt in FEH dedicated to lance usage. HOWEVER even in the FE series she's still much more well known for using her falchion so it actually does make more sense for it to be her main smash weapon.

also while Dark Pit is more known for his staff (i dont even remember if he used anything else in Uprising). Pit himself has access to staffs as well so they technically could give BOTH of them staffs and it would be p accurate still. granted Pit's bow is still more of a signature thing for him since that was his main weapon in the original Kid Icarus iirc so i see why they based his neutral moves around that (and by extension, Dark Pit). it's also interesting to note there's a plethora of other weapons Pit can use in uprising, albeit a decent amount them already got into Smash as items

Propeller Knight said:
memoryman3 said:

She has very similar proportions and attributes to Diddy even in Tropical Freeze. The reason why the clones are clones is because they resemble the original character very closely. Dixie was designed to play similarly to Diddy to the point where they could be tag-teamed. There are a few differences, like I imagine some of her attacks will make her use hair, and maybe her up B would be higher to reference her flight, but pretty much all of Diddy’s toolkit fits her well.

Also, we got no new semi-clones since Brawl.

Back