How is the Mario series doing?

How good is the Mario series right now?

• Total voters
It had it's iffy days of the Gamecube and early Wii, but I think it's going strong.

I said ok, its not amazing but its not bad,[fangirl] maybe SS could up it though [/fangirl]
Owait its just mario, but still, it is getting better now.

Wonderful for me. It's the majority of the games I play

Don’t get me wrong, I love Mario and Donkey Kong as much as the next guy, but it can’t be denied that these games are selling gameplay that hasn’t necessarily evolved since the NES and SNES eras, at five times the price of new and original games being released on PSN, Steam and XBLA. These titles don’t have the added bonuses of essential features such as HD graphics, online play, leaderboards, true 5.1 sound and the potential for DLC expansions.

I also believe that Mario should either be retooled or replaced by a new protagonist, as he is too black & white and not edgy enough to be interesting.

Glowsquid said:
I also believe that Mario should either be retooled or replaced by a new protagonist, as he is too black & white and not edgy enough to be interesting.

I think Nintendo should make other characters star in their own game, period. Mario has been in too much games as a main character.

Nintendo64Fan said:
Nintendo has gotten a lot of crap and so has Mario, so I made this poll.
What, nintendo are doing just as amazing as they could of done. As for the Mario games, a lot of them are very good.

Honestly, anyone who still thinks Mario is as relevant today as it was 10 years ago is just kidding themselves.

I'd like to post another rant, but Glowsquid pretty much covered my opinion.

^I'd have to agree with you. The Mario series is definitely not at a point of being a phenomenon as it was during the late '80s and early '90s; however, I will say that at this point of time it is still doing pretty good. Not wonderful, but still good. The success of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, and many more of the newer games have done wonders for the Mario series for the last few years. Let's hope that the franchise gets even more popular in the later years. We do have quite a lot of Mario games coming out soon...

I'd like to post another rant, but Glowsquid pretty much covered my opinion.

you know I was being sarcastic, right.

Yes, I figured much of your comment was.

Still think the series has stagnated considerably in the last ten to fifteen years.

The Mario series has been doing better than the Sonic series nowadays. There aren't a lot of Mario games that have gotten poor reviews; the worst Mario titles were for the CD-i.

I'd say it's pretty good, I would of chose wonderful if there aren't that many crappy spin-offs *coughcoughmariopartycoughcough* and if there was some more difficulty. That's pretty much it

Honestly I'm quite worried about the direction Mario is going. In my 3D Mario adventures I like more freedom and exploration. Unfortunately they seem to want to make even the 3D game linear now and I'm not fond of that. Sure I like that for my side-scrolling games, but I want a more Sunshine experience in 3D.

I don't like how in the Galaxy games the characters have become bland and say nothing more than "Press A!" I liked how Sunshine had citizens who lived in homes, ran around and played, had actual emotions! I was really hoping this was the direction Mario games were going but it felt as if Galaxy took thing backwards.

People (not on this forum) who say they need to give Mario new villains to face besides Bowser, Bowser, Bowser, and stray from the "rescue Peach plot" obviously have never played the last 2 Paper Marios nor the superlative "Mario & Luigi" series.

Marwikedor said:
People (not on this forum) who say they need to give Mario new villains to face besides Bowser, Bowser, Bowser, and stray from the "rescue Peach plot" obviously have never played the last 2 Paper Marios nor the superlative "Mario & Luigi" series.

They're talking more about the main series.

This year (so far), the Mario series has stunk. There has been only one new Mario game this year, and if you ask me, it's one of the worst games yet. It's looking better in the future, though, with SM3DL and MK7. I haven't been playing Mario games as much lately. Today's Mario games just don't stick with you very long. Once I beat SMG2 and NSMBW, I was just about done with them. I never feel like playing them anymore.

Same here, for the past 2 days I have been playing SM64 and YS. The new games need like a retro or future feel to them. I got bored of most of my Wii games except DKCR

The problem is any real big change to the series could create a huge upset in some of the fanbase. Which is sad, because Mario is getting more and more obsolete as I see it. :(

Fawfulfury65 said:
This year (so far), the Mario series has stunk. There has been only one new Mario game this year, and if you ask me, it's one of the worst games yet. It's looking better in the future, though, with SM3DL and MK7. I haven't been playing Mario games as much lately. Today's Mario games just don't stick with you very long. Once I beat SMG2 and NSMBW, I was just about done with them. I never feel like playing them anymore.
Mario Sports Mix was a great game so I think it's still running well.

In all honsety,

The Mario series isn't doing so well right now. For example, SMG2 was horrifying(ly linear) and NSMBW isn't bad nor good. I'll say I cannot wait for SM3DL because it has that SMB3 nostalgia feeling to it.

Fawfulfury65 said:

Regarding New Super Mario Bros. Wii, you could always broaden your horizon by making custom levels for that game. Mario Sports Mix may have had a limited roster, but it has been entertaining enough to enjoy for a while. Now, if only that game's files could be modified as well.

Back