How is the Mario series doing?

How good is the Mario series right now?

• Total voters
I don't see what was wrong with MSM

Bad character roster, horribly stupid CPUs (who you are forced to play against at the beginning tournaments), and a bunch of bad sports. The only really good one is basketball, which is only exciting for a short period of time. To be honest, that's one of my least favorite Mario games and I was only interested in it for a week or two. I never get a change to play multiplayer, though, so I'm missing that part.

Mario is definitely losing popularity. There are very few people I know that actually like Mario. It is so sad.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Mario is definitely losing popularity. There are very few people I know that actually like Mario. It is so sad.
Well after being in over 200 games, people get tired of him.

In my opinion, I think the Mario series has improved. Look at Mario Kart 64 to Mario Kart Wii for example and you'll see how it has evolved.

And honestly, how is New Super Mario Bros. Wii not relevant? It has certainly evolved from New Super Mario Bros. and games before it with four players now in action at the same time.

Baby Luigi said:
In my opinion, I think the Mario series has improved. Look at Mario Kart 64 to Mario Kart Wii for example and you'll see how it has evolved.

And honestly, how is New Super Mario Bros. Wii not relevant? It has certainly evolved from New Super Mario Bros. and games before it with four players now in action at the same time.
True

I question people who still think Mario Kart 64 is better than Mario Kart Wii. Mario Kart Wii fixes the rubberbanding better than Mario Kart 64, no ugly 2D racer graphics, the controls are way better, and there's online (even though I could care less about online).

Baby Luigi said:
I question people who still think Mario Kart 64 is better than Mario Kart Wii. Mario Kart Wii fixes the rubberbanding better than Mario Kart 64, no ugly 2D racer graphics, the controls are way better, and there's online (even though I could care less about online).

This i so true , you know lots of people think even know it has improved

Baby Luigi said:
Just because something has 'evolved', doesn't mean it's evolved into something good.

Even so, I still think Super Mario Bros. is a strong series and it is certainly not declining

It is a strong series, but the games aren't as good as they used to be.

Sure some series, such as Mario Kart, have evolved into something better, but not all series have. Mario Parties have been getting worse and the mainsteam games aren't as good and memorable as the old ones. I hardly play my Wii, compared to my other systems. The new games just aren't as good.

Overall, I think New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a better game than Super Mario World. Why? The multiplayer just makes it so darn good. Other than that, it's a pretty meh game.

I think the series is still going strong. Some people need to take off their nostalgia glasses. I hope Mario Party 9 is good compared to Mario Party 8 and 7.

^I really do agree with you. I hope that Nintendo does a good job with this Mario Party. I used to love the Mario Party franchise, but recently I have gotten tired of it as the newer titles (sans Mario Party DS which was quite fun in my opinion) have become too repetitive and similar in terms of the mini-games. However, it seems that MP9 is similar to NSMB Wii (I don't know if this is good or bad for the Mario Party franchise).

New Super Mario Bros. Wii really did a good thing for the Mario franchise. While it may have not been memorable like the old Mario games were (excluding the multiplayer - this part is awesome), the popularity of the Mario franchise has shot up considerably recently. Mario Kart, and the Mario Galaxy games also helped the Mario franchise as well. It is definitely becoming more recognizable than it had been in th GCN era (I think this was where Mario fell quite a bit).

The Mario series isn't going in a direction I would like, but it's still relevant. I would never call it bad, and I wouldn't even say it's getting worse. It's just not the same as it used to be, and I'm not sure that I like that. The last amazing game I've played was Super Mario Galaxy. The others have been lacking to me.

about detailing stories, as in my past oponion about all-Stars in Mario main games possiblility
whether they may make use of all their main characters in Mario main games, at least fulfilling their storis
it's terrible nothing changed since Mario's longterm history

another is that I felt Mario staff tried more indifferent style of games instead of popular games (Kart, Party) in Wii
like Mario hotel (though I felt the elements of hotel are unenough)
and cooperation with Dance series and EA sports in GC
I'd love to see if there are some other spinoffs doing without sports

Vlad Plasmius said:
Leonyx said:
The Mario series isn't going in a direction I would like, but it's still relevant.

What direction do you want it to go in then?

The Mario series has been going in a casual and easy direction. I'm not saying that Mario games were ever extremely difficult or hardcore, but Nintendo has been catering to the casual crowd (that is, the gamers that don't play games too often or gamers that only play easier games) with most of their recent games. Mario is no exception.

Most of us agreed that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was lacking compared to the first because of its linear gameplay and easier levels (among other reasons). It's an example of the way Nintendo is taking its games. I'd much rather Mario go back to his roots and be the platforming giant he used to be, with more freeroaming and exploration. New Super Mario Bros. was a step in the right direction, in some ways.

Leonyx said:
Vlad Plasmius said:
Leonyx said:
The Mario series isn't going in a direction I would like, but it's still relevant.

What direction do you want it to go in then?

The Mario series has been going in a casual and easy direction. I'm not saying that Mario games were ever extremely difficult or hardcore, but Nintendo has been catering to the casual crowd (that is, the gamers that don't play games too often or gamers that only play easier games) with most of their recent games. Mario is no exception.

Most of us agreed that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was lacking compared to the first because of its linear gameplay and easier levels (among other reasons). It's an example of the way Nintendo is taking its games. I'd much rather Mario go back to his roots and be the platforming giant he used to be, with more freeroaming and exploration. New Super Mario Bros. was a step in the right direction, in some ways.
It isn't lacking that much

Back