Mario Sports Mix

Pinkie Pie said:
Instead of making a duplicate thread, you could've just bumped the other. :S.

No one has posted on that other thread since early February 2011 though.

Bumping > Making duplicate thread

Especially when you know that there is already another thread about the topic.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

There. Now you know why.

Mario Super Sluggers said:
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

There. Now you know why.
With big topics you could do that but not with something like, favourite board in the Mario Party Games.

Can we discuss about Mario Sports Mix? This topic ain't getting locked, and when I made my Mario Kart 3DS topic, there was already an existing one, but it was at the point of being necro'd.

Anyway, my favorite character is Blue Toad

^I agree, let us talk about the game now. Also good character choice. My favourite character is THE Toad himself (though I do use the blue coloration at times). I also use Bowser Jr. on my team for the matches that I do single player (my sister often joins me otherwise).

I think this game should not have been given the poor ratings that it received. It is a lot more fun than many other Mario titles I have played. It is an extremely fun game to play, just the controls may take a little getting used to (the many controls initially scared my friends; however, after they learned it they loved the game!). Also the Wifi connection is decent as well (more to the fun).

The controls are nothing to gripe about. The soundtrack is excellent and the graphics are pretty nice.

The only thing that fell below my expectations is the process of tournament mode and the character roster (plus how you must unlock them separately in each sport)

Those two points are good ones. The tournament mode is indeed a much too repetitive one (though there were some diverse matches [Bob omb dodge]). I think that was where the game felt a bit too shallow as it could have had more to include in its gameplay. Still the game made itself fun especially in multiplayer (at least in my opinion).

Also I agree that the unlocking of characters was ridiculous at times as you needed to unlock them for each sport. However, the bad part was the fact that all the unlockables were just Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters. If there were at least a few more unlockable Mario characters, then I'm sure that a lot more people would be satisfied.

Also is it true that there is a code that you can perform to unlock all the characters by holding all the buttons on the wii mote and nunchuck (or something like that)? I've heard about this, but never tried it.

Propeller Toad said:
Also is it true that there is a code that you can perform to unlock all the characters by holding all the buttons on the wii mote and nunchuck (or something like that)? I've heard about this, but never tried it.

Probably not. Nintendo never puts cheats like that in their games; they would expect you to play through the game to unlock them.

^Yes, that is true. I only remember hearing this "cheat code" from some other forum, so I was just making sure.

Anyways, so what sports do you guys enjoy most? My personal favourite is probably either a tie between Dodgeball or Hockey.

Here's my list of my most favorite to least:

Dodgeball
Hockey
Volleyball
Basketball

Note that I don't actually dislike any sport, it's just listing the lesser of the greats.

I personally find dodgeball fun due to its appeal and quick matches. This game really gets me pumped up for it as you actually do have to focus for the few quick minutes of the game (no procrastinating here). Hockey is not my best sport; however, I must say that it is quite fun with its gameplay. The movement (with skates or rollerblades) and attacking of other characters (Toad's mushrooms are great to use) makes this sport also really enjoyable as well.

Basketball never really stood out to me honestly. I play it at times, but it feels similar to Mario Hoops (just without the ground pounds). Volleyball on the other hand is pretty fun especially in multiplayer (at least in my sense).

The only bad thing about Hockey is how the matches seem to last forever, which makes tournament mode stressful

Both Hockey and Volleyball are both very tedious to end in the tournament mode due to the time limits. I remember that whenever my sister and I do tournament mode on the Mushroom and Flower cups, we would often just start fooling around and have the opponents chase us around once we achieve a necessary amount of goals in order to waste time. It takes much longer when one keeps scoring as the celebration scene takes up a good few seconds (making the match feel longer).

Volleyball has no time limits...you get a certain amount of points to succeed

Oh, sorry about that. Indeed it is a point system. However, I think that it was the scoring of points that made the matches feel long (15 points I believe). Especially with higher difficulty cpu's.

In the easier difficulties, I get tons of service aces. The match still feels long.

Basketball is one of my worst sport, but luckily, my sister is no slouch.

I'm not that great at basketball either. While I can manage to get a good lead at first, it seems that my opponents always seem to find a way to catch up at the last moment (the worst is at Bowser Jr. Blvd). Thank goodness for Toad's special move. It comes in handy here (unless an opponent avoids the mushrooms and comes from behind).

I love Toad's auto-homing mushrooms in Hockey. Due to him being my first character I played as, I am not quite used to the other character's spinning attacks in Hockey. It's extremely reliable, but its downside is its lag. Best of all, the computer never takes advantage of that when they are the CPU

I always do well at Bowser Jr. Blvd. At Sports Mix mode, I had a huge lead because of its point bonuses.

I nearly tied at basketball once until either my sister or I made a last second goal. Basketball is just not really my sport, I guess.

Toad's mushrooms are awesome in both volleyball and dodgeball. I'm just like you, I have adapted much towards to Toad and his attacks as opposed to the others and their spin attacks. The mushrooms are surprisingly quite effective and useful; but, yes the lag is a bit annoying (but every good thing has a bad side right?).

For me, while I like Jr. blvd, I always seem to have horrid luck there. I can score decently in the first half of the game (with point bonuses), but in the second the opponents seem to easily catch up and surpass my own points (again point bonuses).

Weird, point bonuses are always on my side. I sometimes get the unlucky 10 points thing, but I'm too far ahead to consider that.

Toad also has that awesome speed. He is a great character in this game.

Back