Overrated Mario Characters (besides Yoshi)

Who do you think is the most overrated Mario Character?

• Mario

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Fawful

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Rosalina

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • The babies

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Toad

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Peach

• Waluigi

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Bowser Jr.

• Koopalings

• Geno

Votes: 20 33.9%

• Total voters

Smashley

Smasher
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Awards Committee
'Shroom Consultant
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Smasher
Title says it all. Who do you think is the most overrated Mario character?

For me, it's Luigi. I like to use him in games like SM64DS, but as a character I don't like him at all. I honestly don't understand why he's so popular.

If you think that there's someone I forgot, tell me and I'll consider adding them.

And no, I'm not including Yoshi. Don't ask me to. I know that there's several people who hate him, but I want to know who you dislike besides him.

(some of these guys probably wouldn't really considered overrated but oh well)

(and mods, if there's a thread similar to this that I missed feel free to lock it)

Re: Overrated Mario Characters

Added the Koopalings because they are. As sin.

Also, add Geno.

I forgot those guys. I agree that they are very overrated. (though my vote still goes to Luigi)

Added.

When you say overrated, you can't just help but to mention Mario (sorry Mario fans). I know that this is the Mario series franchise (his own series); however, I can't help but notice that he seems to overshadow the other characters considerably to making them have very few roles in the games. Mario has had over 200 games, with the other characters having very few games on their own. I think some of the others need more development.

While I do like Mario, I just think that Nintendo should give a chance to the rest of the Mario characters to allow them to develop. I would have also said Yoshi, but I think he's been put down a bit since we haven't been getting any new Yoshi games for a while (though he is featured a bit too much in my opinion).

By the way, why isn't Yoshi on this list?

Norbert said:
And no, I'm not including Yoshi. Don't ask me to. I know that there's several people who hate him, but I want to know who you dislike besides him.

Whoops, sorry about that. Must have skimmed over that part. :P Let's continue over that.

Yoshi because of his fanbase

My vote goes to the Koopalings. Honestly, I would have preferred original bosses

Propeller Toad said:
When you say overrated, you can't just help but to mention Mario (sorry Mario fans). I know that this is the Mario series franchise (his own series); however, I can't help but notice that he seems to overshadow the other characters considerably to making them have very few roles in the games. Mario has had over 200 games, with the other characters having very few games on their own. I think some of the others need more development.

While I do like Mario, I just think that Nintendo should give a chance to the rest of the Mario characters to allow them to develop.

MnSG said:
Geno is way too overrated if you asked me.

Baby Luigi said:
My vote goes to the Koopalings. Honestly, I would have preferred original bosses

I agree with all of these. The Koopalings and Geno are not very good characters in my opinion, and like Luigi, I have no idea why they are so popular.

And yes, Mario is featured a bit too much. I know he's the main character, but he needs to step out of the spotlight and give characters like Toad and Wario and Yoshi to get a lead role once in a while. The two I mentioned have only had one game, for example. (Super Princess Peach and Wario's Woods)

More people hate Yoshi than Luigi but Yoshi has the biggest fan base put of all of the Big Eight. Luigi is second and I don't know people like him more than Mario and thinks he needs to star in more. (And they always play as him when they can in the SMG games).

I also don't get how Geno got a huge fan base and I think he has something to do with the forest maze which had a famous theme tune which could be one of the reasons.

Norbert said:
The Koopalings and Geno are not very good characters in my opinion, and like Luigi, I have no idea why they are so popular.

Koopalings: They're the children of the main villain :bowser:. And you don't really see evil kids that often in fictional media. In most cartoons and video games, the villains are usually adults or teenagers while the heroes and victims are usually kids. That could be why the koopalings are praised.

Geno: Well, he's a doll, action figure posessed by a star. Not much else to say beyond that.

Luigi: I got 2 words for you:

1. fan
2. girls

Luigi's highly popular with the female fans of the Mario franchise because they pity him being a sympathetic younger sibling. Also, he can relate to fans due to him being the younger brother. I remember a GameFAQS thread where people were asked which Mario Bro. they preferred, and most people picked Luigi because they were a younger sibling just like Luigi and always had to be "Player 2".

As for Mario, I agree, he's spent too much time in the spotlight, but I don't think he's overrated. Most websites I go to, Mario's treated like crap.

Anyway, as for me, the most overrated characters from my POV are:

1. Waluigi
Nintendo created him for the sole purpose of giving Wario a partner in the sports/spin-offs, yet people demand him to appear in a mainstream game or RPG despite the fact that he serves no purpose. He has little to no personality. He's just a skinny Wario, but thrives less on greed, and more on mischeif.

2. Fawful
As MCD said in the Bowser vs. Fawful Hurt/Heal duel, "Fawful is hell of an overrated villain. He speaks a few Engrish lines and all of a sudden, he's better than the villain of the entire series".

3. Bow
I can see why everybody praises Bow, considering she can deal like 5 damage to one enemy and her action commands are super easy, but the 5 damage is delivered in 5 individual hits, so against enemies with even 1 defense point, her attacks are gonna do diddly squat. Also, she has that stereotypical "spoiled brat" personality. (Bow joined the party! Like it or not!) Plus, I'm questioning whether or not Bow was really a hero in the first place. Why didn't she just let Mario release Skolar first and then accompany Mario to Tubba Blubba's Castle? All right, gameplay-wise, it would've made Tubba Blubba too easy (as if he wasn't already easy enough), but still.

Who the hell voted Toad?

I'm going to have to say either Yoshi (who I can't vote for), Waluigi (who I can't vote for), or Paulina (who I can't vote for)

@Superjeff: I don't really see how Waluigi could be considered overrated. He doesn't seem like a very popular character to me...

I'm neutral on Bow.

I love Fawful but have heard several people here call him overrated, which is why I put him on the poll.

@Toad: For Yoshi: Deal with it 8)

For Waluigi, see what I told Superjeff.

For Pauline: Care to tell me why you think she's overrated?

In my opinion, it's Geno. Yeah, Super Mario RPG is an awesome game and all, and he's cool, but he has way too many fangirls. Seriously.

I voted Mario for pretty much this reason:

Propeller Toad said:

While I do like Mario, I just think that Nintendo should give a chance to the rest of the Mario characters to allow them to develop. I would have also said Yoshi, but I think he's been put down a bit since we haven't been getting any new Yoshi games for a while (though he is featured a bit too much in my opinion).

In addition, he's a bland character. I know that he is on purpose, in order to fit into various roles and genres, but it's still boring. May as well have a Mii playing all of those games. Also, in Mario Party games and such, he's always depicted as the winner. I know he's the mascot of Nintendo pretty much, but there are so many other characters out there that could use and deserve the spotlight.

LIKE KAMEK, BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST <33

Geno. Why do people think he should be in Brawl? He has been in only two games and he doesn't have a game himself. Bowser Jr. would make a better character, maybe even Toad.

I actually think Luigi is better than Mario because he has more personality than Mario.

Why does Geno winning? Because we only got to see him in one game?

Geno is a bad ass character with great moves... i'd vote for Yoshi because Yoshi sucks

YOSHI, WHY IS YOSHI NOT ON THIS POLL, SMASHER THIS POLL IS FIXED THIS IS BLASPHEMY.

Probably... Toad.

apocalypseArisen said:
YOSHI, WHY IS YOSHI NOT ON THIS POLL, SMASHER THIS POLL IS FIXED THIS IS BLASPHEMY.

Norbert said:
Norbert said:

Norbert said:
apocalypseArisen said:

Norbert said:
Norbert said:

IT'S A FIXED POLL, IT'S BLASPHEMY.

Wario, Waluigi and DK. As for Yoshi, I'd say he's neutral(not underrated, but not overrated). But he's still my favorite character. Yeah, I don't really have anything to say about those characters, I just find them overrated.

Why isn't Fawful on the list? MOST OVERRATED CHARACTER EVAR

I'd like Waluigi to be put on here too, just because everyone keeps talking about him being so creative and special. It's fine that you think that, I guess, but I really don't think he should be in any mainstream games, or at least he needs to start out in a pretty unimportant role.

Edit: Also, I'm gonna defend Mario. I don't think he's overrated (it is his series after all), but he's overhyped by Nintendo some. Mario is a character that many people (including myself) grew up with, and he is also the mascot Nintendo, so I think he deserves a lot of praise.

Back