Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, maybe not permabanned, but tempbanned would work maybe

i get the feeling the mods aren't going to like the idea of banning people over "please like my posts"

even if it can be construed as spamming it would make their jobs harder since i'm sure no one wants to take on the task of keeping track of people asking for likes, and i basically already stated this but the idea of banning people over a forum addon is really stupid

That's true too. I didn't really think about that

Shadow rocks! said:
What about the like/disike idea? I think it would make the Boards a lot more fun.
In favour as long as there isn't a dislike button, because that causes more problems than solves

Rin Kagamine said:
Shadow, stop ignoring me. Likes will cause a problem too. People will probably be whoring for likes, and it'll cause problems. I have a point here, I've been through experience on this
Rin, can we be realistic here? How many people are actually going to 'like' a post just because people asked, and even if they did whore them, what kind of issue does that actually create?

You need to trust the intellects of the people here to not give into bullshit like that and just like something because they agree / find it amusing / etc.

The more immediate and severe problem I can think of is somebody making a slur at someone, then having people 'like' that, which is a form of bullying, but the mods can sort that out via their traditional means because, well, they'd have to do it anyway.

Usagi Tsukino said:
i get the feeling the mods aren't going to like the idea of banning people over "please like my posts"

even if it can be construed as spamming it would make their jobs harder since i'm sure no one wants to take on the task of keeping track of people asking for likes, and i basically already stated this but the idea of banning people over a forum addon is really stupid
True. But there aren't really any spammers here. Most users will go with the flow.

oh so we're talking about likes again, huh?

well, i'm in favour of adding such a feature. i know last time it was brought up i thought it unnessecary, but after seeing it work in a couple of other forums, i think it could work out, although i can understand rin's concern about people not being mature about it (people like that are why post counts were removed way back when)

but a dislike feature would basically be asking for flame wars

Usagi Tsukino said:
even if it can be construed as spamming it would make their jobs harder since i'm sure no one wants to take on the task of keeping track of people asking for likes

i'm not very knowledgable about these sorts of things, but wouldn't people be able to use the "report to moderator" button to notify the mods if they see something like that?

Shadow rocks! said:
Snake said:
I don't think dislikes would be a good idea but I actually wouldn't mind likes/thank you.
Ok. Just likes, then. Can you help with it?
Uh, guys? Here.

i would personally be ok with likes if adding them to this is at all possible

Norbert said:
Is it within your power to do this?

Norbert said:

xephyr has a "thank you" system which is basically the same thing, and afaik it runs with the same software as here, so i would assume there's some way to implement it

What is a thank you system?

Hotaru Tomoe said:
Usagi Tsukino said:
even if it can be construed as spamming it would make their jobs harder since i'm sure no one wants to take on the task of keeping track of people asking for likes

i'm not very knowledgable about these sorts of things, but wouldn't people be able to use the "report to moderator" button to notify the mods if they see something like that?

yeah, but there's no guarantee people will even remember to do that. plus, i think it'd spam the mod email boxes, so

if this is seriously going to be added, it needs to have a: a stable modification b/c from what i remember xephyr's is kind of glitchy, b: not have any written rules about it (unless it ends up needing some for some reason, and at that point it'd be more of a hassle than a feature), and c: not include a dislike button for the sake of saving everyone from buttmad

at least that's what i think would make it the least problematic

Shadow rocks! said:
What is a thank you system?

it's basically a like system

Usagi Tsukino said:
Hotaru Tomoe said:
Usagi Tsukino said:

yeah, but there's no guarantee people will even remember to do that. plus, i think it'd spam the mod email boxes, so

yeah, fair enough. i myself am constantly forgetting it exists >.>

Usagi Tsukino said:
if this is seriously going to be added, it needs to have a: a stable modification b/c from what i remember xephyr's is kind of glitchy, b: not have any written rules about it (unless it ends up needing some for some reason, and at that point it'd be more of a hassle than a feature), and c: not include a dislike button for the sake of saving everyone from buttmad

i think that sounds like a good way of going about it

There is a way to do it, I believe.

It's the Karma system, though there is an option for Likes only, so we could put it at that.

I've seen it on MySMF and since this is regular SMF there should be an option somewhere.

the karma system is different because it doesn't have likes for each post, it just has a number of pluses and minuses next to a persons profile

Oh, I must have been confused on what we were discussing.

Norbert said:
There is this mod that allows it.

Rin Kagamine said:
There is a way to do it, I believe.

It's the Karma system, though there is an option for Likes only, so we could put it at that.

I've seen it on MySMF and since this is regular SMF there should be an option somewhere.
Karma are the (dis)likes of users, not individual posts.

I personally like the idea, but I also see the concerns behind it.

Usagi Tsukino said:
also we would need to have a specific rule banning uniju from thanking every single post

although it is actually pretty funny. never mind

OK, I asked Porple! Let's hope for the best, shall we? :posh:

No spamming. Spam will be defined as:
Making one word posts that add nothing to the overall conversation.
Quoting a post and then reposting it without adding anything.

Should we changes to to say "Making posts that add nothing to the overall conversation, because I am seeing a fair few amount of completely pointless posts around.

Isn't that the same thing as off-topic posting?

And "one word" posts are just a term for spam posts such as "oh yeah", "this", "that", "lol". It's not literally always one word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back