Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
you should put money towards a new server then, its not going to upgrade itself and if porple upgrades it hes going to need funding for it

PlayStation 4 said:
This website was down for a while today
So was the wiki.

PlayStation 4 said:
this website's server need to be improved

I think it's fine the way it is now, and before. It serves it purpose, it doesn't time-out, and it responds reliably. What if porple just took it down for maintenance?

PlayStation 4 said:
The server is down for me a many times on this website

Really? This was the first time I saw the error screen in quite a while.

Are you sure it's not your router?

It most certainly isn't his router, for me it also goes down many times. Granted mostly it last only about 30-60 seconds, but it still is down. I checked it on isup.me, to be sure I wasn't the only one.

Also, this memcache thing was just a serverside program that needed to be restarted, porple told me last night. Though these short periods of downtime do are annoying.

It also occurs to my that a lot of suggestions in this thread are read and commented on, but never really looked on by admins.

LakantatheQlaus said:
It also occurs to my that a lot of suggestions in this thread are read and commented on, but never really looked on by admins.

I've noticed this a long time ago

I would still really like Tapatalk like I suggested many pages ago but didn't get a response about.

I've been confused on the server going down for everyone. It's never gone down for me.

The only thing that happened on my end were these dark grey error message boxes at the top of the screen, but they never really affected anything. They just got annoying.

I was browsing the forum as a guest and I'm just wondering, do we really need so many security questions when someone wants to search for something?

i think its to prevent spambots from lagging the forum by overusing the search function

at least i assume thats what its for

I kind of have another suggestion that could be useful this time.

Is there a way we could install a post draft and/or post auto-save feature?

What I mean, like saving a post as a draft for later, and the auto-save thing saves what you're typing every once in a while.

It could come in handy for if you're making a long post and something crashes or you accidentally click out of it or something like that, so you don't have to type the whole thing again.

They have this thing on vBulliten (sp?) and other forums.

That actually seems like a good idea, especially for PMs, because there's been times where I've had to rewrite PMs all over again because of glitches, crashes, or timing out. I'm on some other forums that have it and I could see it having a practical use here.

Alternatively have some sort of caching so that when you click back into it after a crash, everything you posted before is still there. I think some forums do it by default, like Xenforo and possibly MyBB.

Maybe there could be a "theme song" section for the forum profile.

Well, unless it was just a text box version, I don't know if that's possible on SMF.

I've seen a youtube field section on vBulliten, which would probably work, but I don't think that's an option on SMF.

I know about the textbox one. That's what I was saying; there's one for text box, but not one for actual youtube links.

I didn't know about that...

Thanks. Can any sysop do the honors? :posh:

Shadow rocks! said:
Maybe there could be a "theme song" section for the forum profile.
Would that really be necessary though? Just an official theme song thread could probably do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back