Favorite Special item in Mario Kart Double Dash!

I always play as Waluigi + Luigi because of Bob-ombs + Fireballs. Bob-ombs are great for long-range blasting and Fireballs are great for short range.

Chain Chomps were cool simply cuz of how cheap they were lol :P But really, I love Fireballs. I love throwing them and watching people spin out, mainly why I pick Mario/Luigi on MKDD. Second would be Heart cuz of Peach. ;)

I love Bob-ombs because of all weird stuff you can do with them prior to a cannon. I mean, you fly through the cannon, but your kart is all smoked up and the driver is screaming with pain.

Well at least their special items won't appear as often, so if you want a fireball, there is less chance you would get compared to if you use Mario or Luigi.

It's too bad, because Chain Chomp and Bowser's Shell were planned to be in Mario Kart DS, but the bullet bill was most likely chosen in favor of the chain chomp, but there probably wasn't a reason for getting rid of the Bowser Shell. Probably because the graphics were too complicated for the DS version. I mean seriosly, the normal shells don't rotate, so I wonder what would happen if they tried to put the Bowser's shell in there. It's still too bad that they didn't come back in the Wii version.

yoshisawesome said:
It's too bad, because Chain Chomp and Bowser's Shell were planned to be in Mario Kart DS, but the bullet bill was most likely chosen in favor of the chain chomp, but there probably wasn't a reason for getting rid of the Bowser Shell. Probably because the graphics were too complicated for the DS version. I mean seriosly, the normal shells don't rotate, so I wonder what would happen if they tried to put the Bowser's shell in there. It's still too bad that they didn't come back in the Wii version.

Um, the Spiny Shell is 3D. I don't see why not. I've made giant shells in Mario Kart Wii. So the Bowser Shell wouldn't act too different from a regular shell, except it's bigger.

Giant Bananas are defense kings, being able to block nearly every normal item in the game.

My favorite is the egg, because sometimes it has a star in it. Playing with Yoshi in the back was the perfect way to get stars while in first place. I also like the heart, because of how it not only defends you, but it actually gives you that item. It even works for other characters' special items, like the fireball and the Bob-Omb.

Chain Chomp and bob-omb.

My favorites are the Chain Chomp, Triple Red Shells, and the Yoshi/Birdo Egg. They should bring back the special items feature in another Mario Kart game. I'M TALKIN' TO YOU, NINTENDO!!!

MnSG said:
Giant Bananas are defense kings, being able to block nearly every normal item in the game.
Actually, I believe that Giant Bananas can also deflect Bowser Shells. Also I liked Yoshi's Egg because you can get stars from them and there's other items in there that can hinder your opponent(or you if you're not careful :P)

Fireballs: They all right items. Hitting multiple foes and making them spin out longer than regular bananas, plus disabling the backseat driver from doing stuff gives this a big plus. One disadvantage though, it won't help you if you are 8th, plus you can hit yourself quite easily, due to the unpredicatble nature of fireballs.

Hearts: Good item. Too bad they go away when you get lightning'd and they can't absorb Spiny Shells or Chain Chomps, but that makes the list of what they can't absorb. They can make you pick up special items such as Bowser Shells, though. They are the ultimate defensive item, except when used against fireballs. Too bad they also use up hearts if you pick up a Mushroom, Lightning Bolt or a Star, but that can also be a good thing if you want to use it later

Eggs: They're pretty much meh. Why? Eggs can only go a certain distance before they break, unlike Red Shells, which travel until something hits them. Plus, items fly out in front of the opponent, giving the opponent a chance to drive into a star. They're great when used in first, since a star might pop out, but could also hinder you because a Bob-omb or items other than a Mushroom and a star can fly out and slow you down. The plain old Red Shell is a much better item when it comes offensively.

Triple Red/Green Shells: They're great items, especially Triple Red Shells, which are something CPUs can never obtain for some reason. One thing bad about them is that you lose 2 out of 3 or 1 out of 2 when you get hit. Still, triple red shells actually do something to your opponent if you manage to hit all three of them in your desired spot, and maybe to an extent the triple green shells can too. They're also great defensively, since you get three chances to block items coming at you. They're not as great as they are in other Mario Kart games, but still pretty decent.

Giant Bananas: Giant Bananas only do great offensively when an opponent is trailing behind you or if you're using them in a ramp. Defensively, they're spectacular. The only things they don't block are Chain Chomps and people using Stars. They do deflect Bowser Shells, but split into three when a Bowser Shell hits them. The three bananas left over also serve a just as great wall as the Giant Banana. Giant Bananas are the best defense item in the game, hands down.

Bob-ombs: Bob-ombs can be a great or bad item, depending on how you use them. Once caught in the blast radius, you or your opponent can get tremendously slowed down, and also lose your items and get dragged for a while. Bob-ombs are a hit and miss item, basically. Bob-ombs are great during the beginning of the race, due to congested nature. They're not that great later in the race, but are great for hindering rivals if they are just the right distance.

Chain Chomp: Chain Chomps are the ultimate item for getting back on track in the race. They plow through everything, except people using Stars and Fake Item Boxes. They are awesome offensively, since any opponent that gets caught in the Chain Chomp gets flipped and the back driver starts dragging. They are also very fast and have auto-pilot, meaning you can just sit back and make your Chain Chomp do the work. The Fake Item Box weakness is one thing to be concerned about, though. Also the kart has vulnerability too, so users of the Chain Chomp are susceptible to rear attacks. Chain Chomps are also not that great when they end in a curve, which makes the kart get off course quite easily. Overall though, Chain Chomps are beast.

Bowser Shell: Bowser Shells are pretty similar to Bob-ombs; they are a hit and miss item. They can destroy many stuff, including Giant Bananas, although Giant Bananas deflect them. They are great when thrown backward, where they can devastate the racers in their path. Thrown forward, they make a great or bad item offensively, depending on who and what they hit. Whoever gets hit gets flipped and dragged, a major hindrance for either you or the opponent, or even both.

Golden Mushroom: Golden Mushrooms are usually excellent items, but are pretty bad on places such as Rainbow Road or places with many curves. Golden Mushrooms give about a slightly slower speed than Chain Chomps, but a major advantage of a Golden Mushroom is boosting whenever you like or taking major shortcuts. Golden Mushrooms can make racers lose their items, but that's about it defensively and offensively. Users are pretty much wide open to attack when using the Golden Mushroom, but homing items are usually the only threat to users of the Golden Mushroom, due to the speed of the karts when used.

Look, can people have favorite items, whenever the items are good or bad?

Well, those are my opinions on the items and what I have experienced with them

Baby Luigi said:
Golden Mushroom: Golden Mushrooms are usually excellent items, but are pretty bad on places such as Rainbow Road or places with many curves.
On the contrary, I find that a golden mushroom greatly increases a kart's handling.

I still think they're pretty bad on places such as Rainbow Road and they still make you lose some control due to speed.

Chain Chomp isn't exactly good in Rainbow Road either.

Well, I agree with that. Not a lot of special items are good on Rainbow Road anyway, though

Yeah, too many items bounce too high. Defensive items are usually the best, like the Heart or the Giant Banana.

Baby Luigi said:
Hearts: Good item. Too bad they can't absorb Spiny Shells or Chain Chomps
The heart would be way too overpowered if you can absorb them LOL :P And yeah, most special items aren't that good on rainbow road. I remember once I used a Chain Chomp on Waluigi Stadium and it went loose a second after I used it because I used it on those small hills near the end of the track >_> At least the Chain Chomp isn't as cheap as the Bullet Bill :P Plus it has awesome music when you use it.

Back