Fair Roster for futuRe Mario spinoffs? ☆Table update to Island Tour

Dorayaki

King Bowser
Seeing the recent spinoffs like Party 9 and Sochi Olympics, I start wondering if Nintendo want to keep their games sold out.

Olymbir.jpg

The recent spinoffs often make us feel they're monotonous in rosters. Is it? Let's take a look instead of speaking rumor:

MariolistAA.jpg

MariolisBB.jpg

The list contain those titles from birth of Gamecube to end of DS, because some characters became really fixed and enlisted since this era
* Party is excluded owing to fixed method by adding new player until 8th
* Yakuman for not really multiplayer game to choose all characters
* Question marks appear in football games for species problem

To compare the numbers for each player:
27: Mario, Luigi, Peach
25: Yoshi, Wario, Waluigi
24: Waluigi, DK, Bowser
22~20: Daisy
15~10: Toad, Diddy, Bowser Jr.
9~5: Birdo
4~1: others

We can figure out some significant points:

☆babies and kongs have fewer appearances; but owing to identities and subseries, it can be accepted

☆Daisy is a major heroine....... and less appears than others like Wario bros?

☆Only Peach and Daisy are apparently recurring "heroines" who have more than 50% chances

☆Some duo partners like Dixie & Diddy, Birdo & Yoshi share same weight, but their apperance ratio are quite different.

☆As new players since GC era, Bowser Jr. and Diddy both have more 50% chances than other old characters

☆Zero exists......

In conclusion, some characters that didn't appear at early era of Mario history but becomes recurring, like Wario bros or Bowser Jr. Reversely for some other ones like Birdo, Toadette or Dixie were not (bad coincidence, they are "all" female and we're lack of that). Some like Toad and Toadette are defined to be "assistants", but since Toadsworth and Lakitu can do more referee jobs, they should be able to engage in more races since now.

Basically, the size for rosters are:
Karts: more than 10 in handheld console / more than 20 in family console
Tennis, Golf: between 10 and 20
Party: getting more than 10
Baseball: more than 10 captains / almost all characters playable
Football: more than 10 captains / several species for sidekicks (why?)
Olympics: 10 for one side

I'd conclude some reasonable rules fit in rosters to adjust:

☆All main characters that are not protagonists should take turns in different games for same times of appearance.

☆Ratio of female characters to male ones has to be one as far as possible.

☆If roster is small, species have to be avoided. Alternative identities like babies and dry guys are same.

☆Relatives characters get more partner appearances together, like the fading heroines.

Original characters from past spinoffs are authorized to appear again, whether they are nonplayable.

Ideal better roster followed from rules above may be listed below like:

must-have heros (100%): Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Bowser

optional must-have (for assistant or not, 80%): Toad-Toadette, DK-Candy

secondary, take turns in limited roster (70%) : Yoshi-Birdo, Wario, Waluigi, Bowser Jr, Diddy-Dixie

third-class if spaces up to 20 (50%): Pauline, Tiny, Funky, Mona, Rosalina

latter choices (30%): babies, species etc

new character: most games can spare at least a new character from the newest main game or subseries.

* "-" = bound

I think it's impossible for all characters always recurring unless Nintendo release 20 spaces every time so nobody comes to naught. But when rosters are limited, there must be someone leaving to show fairness, or it would lead to a game that nobody wants to buy. Hope we can find Nintendo improves in the next roster like Kart 3DS.

Re: Fair Roster for futue Mario spinoffs?

It depends on the game actually. I mean, what happens if we're talking about Mario Baseball and Mario Tennis? Mario Baseball can fit a ton of characters in that game, Mario Tennis, not so much as Baseball.

Sorry, but some of the characters you mentioned (Pauline, Mona, Candy) have less of a chance to appear than the species or the babies in another spin-off game (maybe even in the next Mario Kart). You know Nintendo, they neglect those characters like heck. Besides, Baby Mario is fine as playable in the Tennis games (no Baby Luigi is a no-no, though), so I don't see why he needs to be a last priority. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are classic characters, I don't see why they don't need to be prioritized last. I understand Baby Peach and Baby Daisy, but not Baby Mario and Baby Luigi.

Your idea is great (except for the baby part, but I digress since I'm a baby fan) because Nintendo sucks at roster creating, but face it, Nintendo is never going to pay attention to these forgotten characters. They have been here, for, what? 20 years? And still no playable appearance? I bet Nintendo is going to make a Baby Waluigi before considering to add Mona and Pauline in their games.

They should really improve their selection before creating new characters (Baby Daisy, Toadette, though both are cool)

BabyLuigiOnFire said:
It depends on the game actually. I mean, Baseball can fit a ton of characters
but some of the characters you mentioned (Pauline, Mona, Candy) have less of a chance to appear than the species or the babies in another spin-off game (maybe even in the next Mario Kart).
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are classic characters, I don't see why they don't need to be prioritized last.
Your idea is great Nintendo sucks at roster creating, but face it, Nintendo is never going to pay attention to these forgotten characters. They should really improve their selection before creating new characters (Baby Daisy, Toadette, though both are cool)

I've mentioned the scale and priority of rosters, that's means bigger roster can contain characters from lower class.
Characters like fading heroines or Toadsworth mean that they have the priority for relationship of the mainest characters, same as possibility of roster. Even though they can't appear a lot in main games or RPG stories, spinoffs can still simply mention relationships such as Daisy with Peach Luigi (though we don't recommend this way).
Otherwise, since it showed that secondary characters including Toadette and Birdo didn't share the same appearances with Wario and the others, Nintendo surely have problem in their probability distribution.

For babies including Mario bros, they established their status in past Mario games. Though the problem is that we usually think since they and their adault counterparts share the same "identity", they must be less prior, but they do have independant characteristic differed by the story itself, so I agree.
Another problem is that if every adult characters have their baby form to show fairness, their will be much more characters though maybe only baby princesses and Mario bros can show more times.
See babies as characters, I think Nintendo support them just as why we like them -- appearance, voice and thoughts are totally just cute. But meanwhile other children characters in this dimension such as Bowser Jr and Katana can do this job somemore (uh, though they're not babies anymore).

I don't understand why Toad isn't here playable. I know there is a Toad that is a referee, but Toad is a species, so just because one is an NPC doesn't mean Toad doesn't have to be playable.

Oh, ok, I understand your point TC. Still, the only reason I'm discussing this because I really really like the baby characters. Your point is logical, though.

I don't understand why Toad isn't here playable. I know there is a Toad that is a referee, but Toad is a species, so just because one is an NPC doesn't mean Toad doesn't have to be playable.

So true. I just wish Nintendo would stop doing and neglect Toad and other characters such as the babies. I just hope they would do the same as Square-Enix did for Sports Mix and make Toad playable despite being many Toads in the audience.

Did anyone feel bad after seeing the Mario Power tennis intro? I mean both Baby Mario and Luigi were seen as the audience and both Toad and Toadette were seen on the scoreboard yet all four were no where to be seen.

Maybe they're beta characters? It really sucks, since they are the most major characters that cameo'd, yet no playable appearance. After all, Baby Mario and Toad were playable in Mario Tennis N64, why not have them again, but with Baby Luigi and Toadette added?

Ornithologist Mario said:
wait? Toads is a kind of species but Toad-Kinipio isn't
were you confused by their English name?

Toad-Kinipio holds most times of referee in fact when many other colorful-in-hat Toads are audience only
Toadette ..... seldem be a referee (I remembered Part DS) ?...... also besides female Toads as seen in Paper Mario are really few in spinoffs

Propeller Toad said:
Did anyone feel bad after seeing the Mario Power tennis intro? I mean both Baby Mario and Luigi were seen as the audience and both Toad and Toadette were seen on the scoreboard yet all four were no where to be seen.
I don't care if Nintendo really want Toad and Toadette to be assistants
but I worry more about Toadsworth has no job to do......

Yeah, but Toadsworth doesn't really fit the role as a playable character. Of course, there is Superstar Baseball and Super Sluggers, but that game allowed many characters to be playable.

I would love to play as Toadsworth, but I'm not sure what he could do. He's too old to be jumping around like the Bros. and he (to my knowledge) doesn't have any magic ability. Maybe you could play him like you do Peach in Paper Mario and its sequel.

Toadsworth fits best when playable in an RPG or a kart racing game IMO

Yeah, but Toadsworth doesn't really fit the role as a playable character. Of course, there is Superstar Baseball and Super Sluggers, but that game allowed many characters to be playable.
he is just listed as a main character, but not a specific player
the main problem of him is can he get seats of host instead of player in most main games or spinoffs?

Dorayaki said:
he is just listed as a main character, but not a specific player
the main problem of him is can he get seats of host instead of player in most main games or spinoffs?
Birdo I think will be a playable character, I saw some artwork of him.

In the next mario spinnoff I would Like to see.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Yoshi
Toad
Bowser
Bowser jr
Wario
Waluigi
Rosalina
Toadette
Birdo
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie kong
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
I think thats all the main characters covered.

Lily said:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Yoshi
Toad
Bowser
Bowser jr
Wario
Waluigi
Rosalina
Toadette
Birdo
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie kong
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
What abount Funky Kong, Dry Bowser or Lubba.

SMG2_PurpleLuma.png

This Guy is awesome and should be in Mario Party 9 and Mario Kart 3DS.

I could see Lubba as a host for Mario Party 9

I would like to see him and Rosalina be cameo hosts in MP9

Lily said:
I would like to see him and Rosalina be cameo hosts in MP9
There is no such thing as a cameo host, how could the host be a cameo when it talks.

I think she meant by the Star Spirits being hosts

Baby Luigi said:
Did you make that up.

New Super Yoshi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Did you make that up.

No, the Star Spirits actually were hosts in Mario Party 5

New Super Yoshi said:
This Guy is awesome and should be in Mario Party 9 and Mario Kart 3DS.
Lubba is a nice host, but not player since not a main character or no sufficient spaces
but the problem is Toadsworth's role again

New Super Yoshi said:
Birdo I think will be a playable character, I saw some artwork of him.
It's not ensured for now since officia mainlt said "no new player" this time
problem is that female players are insufficient, and it's unreasonable Yoshi isn't paired with Birdo on stage
also I think since there are many players in Olympics, maybe two or more secret players are nice

Lily said:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Yoshi
Toad
Bowser
Bowser jr
Wario
Waluigi
Rosalina
Toadette
Birdo
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie kong
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
? I didn't see fading heroines if you meant all characters covered
the other idea of this topic is that many rosters in games are less than 15 players
whether Nintendo can make good weights and make all characters appear in turn

Back