Wii U

Re: Wii 2?

Zae said:
Not only that, the only games that made impact on the n64 were sm64 and oot(in terms of the recognized gaming).
Right because no one's ever heard of, say, Smash Bros? How about Mario Party? Banjo-Kazooie? Paper Mario's not a big deal right?

Zae said:
Should I mention the gbc had super mario land series, the entire 1st and 2nd gen of pokemon as well as mario land games(and quite a few others)?
All three Super Mario Land games and the first generation of Pokemon were on the Game Boy, not the Game Boy Color. GBC just happened to be reverse compatible.

Oh, and as far as big sales = best thing ever, I recall MW2 selling extremely well despite being incredibly bland. Then again I've only done the multiplayer so maybe I'm just talking out of my ass on that one.

Herr Shyguy said:
Zae said:
Not only that, the only games that made impact on the n64 were sm64 and oot(in terms of the recognized gaming).
Right because no one's ever heard of, say, Smash Bros? How about Mario Party? Banjo-Kazooie? Paper Mario's not a big deal right?

Mario party was shunned when 3rd game came out and smash bros wasn't even huge until melee so lol. Don't remember much about banjo. Paper mario though, kinda forgot. hm hm.

All three Super Mario Land games and the first generation of Pokemon were on the Game Boy, not the Game Boy Color. GBC just happened to be reverse compatible.

Oh, and as far as big sales = best thing ever, I recall MW2 selling extremely well despite being incredibly bland. Then again I've only done the multiplayer with some friends of mine so maybe I'm just talking out of my ass on that one.

Yes I should have clarified as gb/c instead, but yes.

and yeah mw2 is kinda out of the way here, haha.

I'm not saying neither system is bad in any category, I just said gb/c was better. To make this more clear to you.

It's better from my perspective which no one has seemed to think of yet.

Actually, Super Smash Bros. was intended to be Japan only. It got popular extremely quick and so Nintendo decided to make it for all regions

Baby Luigi Lacertae said:
Actually, Super Smash Bros. was intended to be Japan only. It got popular extremely quick and so Nintendo decided to make it for all regions

4.9 million copies sold, so I guess I was wrong. Haha

Well my mistake. Although I don't really remember it being hugely popular though, or at least until melee where people got really into the series.

It's logical that Super Smash Bros. was hugely popular. Think about it. Nintendo's popular icons for the first time fighting each other. It's the first time Link can KO Mario or something like that.

It's logical that Super Smash Bros. was hugely popular. Think about it. Nintendo's popular icons for the first time fighting each other. It's the first time Link can KO Mario or something like that.

Or the other way around. :mad: What's the deal with Mario getting abused in the series anyway? He did nothing to deserve the abuse he received in Brawl!

Super Smash Bros. was very popular (if it wasn't, why did it receive two sequels?). Melee made it better.

Sales do not equate a good game.

Scrub Jay said:

Or the other way around. :mad: What's the deal with Mario getting abused in the series anyway? He did nothing to deserve the abuse he received in Brawl!

Super Smash Bros. was very popular (if it wasn't, why did it receive two sequels?). Melee made it better.

Sales do say something, though

I did not say "everything". I said, "something".

Scrub Jay said:

Indeed, but sales do mean it's popular.

Of course just because it has sequels doesn't mean its popular either.

As some developers want to correct mistakes they did with their first game in the sequel.

Zae said:
Better hardware doesn't not equal better system. If that was the case the ps3 would be far more favored over everything we know of(360, wii,etc).

The PS3, objectively, is the stronger system. There are a lot of other factors when determining a console's worth.

no, it's cool, bro

just ignore Mario Kart 64 (considered one of the best racing games of all times), Goldeneye (considered one of the best FPS games of all times), Super Smash Bros. (widely popular and much beloved fighting/party/whatever game), Star Fox 64 (easily the game that launched the entire series and easily the most popular), the Banjo series (considered some of the best platformers of all times), Majora's Mask (either considered the best Legend of Zelda game of all time, or slightly behind OoT), Paper Mario (hugely popular and critically acclaimed), Perfect Dark (Also considered one of the best shooters of all time)...

I can go on. You can't just pretend that none of these games existed because you didn't remember them or didn't like them or because of "recognized gaming", which I have no idea what you're even saying there.

Oh, and sales are not a perfect sign of game quality. There's an entire sub-genre of games that are and were beloved by gamers and critics that sold awfully. Okami is the first example I can think of; it sold so badly that Clover Studios tanked, despite widely being considered one of the most visually beautiful games created. Another example is Paper Mario. The original didn't even break a million copies sold worldwide. However, it's easily considered one of the best games ever.

It was voted one of the top 100 games of all time by Electronic Gaming Monthly. Paper Mario was rated the 63rd best game made on a Nintendo system in Nintendo Power's "Top 200 Games" list, and the 13th greatest Nintendo 64 game of all time by the same magazine.

Should I mention the gbc had super mario land series, the entire 1st and 2nd gen of pokemon as well as mario land games(and quite a few others)?

So, let's see. The GBC had Super Mario Land, a series that, while it sold well and garnered decent reviews in its time, has had no lasting impact on, well, pretty much anything, and Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, which, as I already said, are pretty great. The Legend of Zelda GBC games are generally viewed in a positive light, though are considered inferior to their consoles counterparts, and the Donkey Kong County series is also viewed favorably.

That's 4 series, if you can even count Super Mario Land. I listed 10 N64 games off the top of my head that are considered game changers. Do the math.

And this is from someone who had a PS1.

I'm not saying the n64 is crap, because it most certainly isn't. But in truth the GBC was far more successful and quite frankly my friend, sales of a system are huge significance on business. If your product sales like crap, you go down, if it sales well, you go up.

So put two and two together.

Good thing we're not discussing business strategies at all, or I would have to point out how your incredibly simple view of things would cause any company you created to crash and burn immediately, as it ignores pretty much every factor that is involved in the subject outside of "selling games = make money".

Sheesh so aggressive.

It's what I do.

Good thing we're not discussing business strategies at all, or I would have to point out how your incredibly simple view of things would cause any company you created to crash and burn immediately, as it ignores pretty much every factor that is involved in the subject outside of "selling games = make money".

You've made good points. So with these factors of business, enlighten me on these strategies

Thought you'd have more to say, so haha.

Well thanks for your comments. Always nice to have different views.

(although holy *bleep* we went way off topic).

Now that I think about it the wii 2 is merely a rumor. Not much to discuss I suppose.

I think it's too early to talk about it. The Wii is still going strong.

I think it's too early to talk about it. The Wii is still going strong.

Agreed. In truth I think it's more of a wish of some sort of fanboys.

As a good portion of them want a stronger system or something, but idk really.

Wii's only system issue is the whole harddrive thing and lack of good internet interface.

Although I guess to some people the graphical performance of the wii is a setback but idk really.

I don't care about graphics TBH. I only care if the gameplay is good.

When you say you don't care about graphics... do you mean highly detailed graphics or just something with style?

I mean I'm pretty sure you dont want to go back to the atari days now.

I always thought graphical style was important. It made a good impact with many games; yoshis island, paper mario, wind waker, tales of vesperia, borderlands,etc.

I'm not much for high graphical detail though(in terms of realism).

So yeah I think graphics ARE important but obviously not the core values of a game.

I meant highly detailed graphics. Graphics are one of the last things I appreciate about a game. I'm too focused to care. But, you do have a point about not going back to Atari days. Still, I completely won't mind if a new game has Super Mario 64 graphics, but awesome gameplay.

I do not like how people equate good graphics with realistic graphics. And I'm not saying that you guys are doing it.

I consider good graphics to be smooth, fluid, and generally pleasing to look at. Bad graphics look blocky, jagged, and pixelated, with the oatmeal effect.

I liked N64 graphics, though. It gave me something to poke fun at.

Yeah, but some models in games like Mario Strikers Charged is like...well... you would wish it was less jagged.

Oh yeah, and sometimes, Mario Kart Wii graphics bugged me.

Mkwii graphics really just felt like non-modified mkdd visuals. Well mainly in terms of character models.

I do not like how people equate good graphics with realistic graphics. And I'm not saying that you guys are doing it.

This is actually what makes the 3d realm of gaming so.... boring and bland today. As almost every game tries to be realistic and detailed with everything.

There is virtually little uniqueness in visuals in most games and it's just kinda.. depressing.

Kirby's Epic Yarn says hi. It's really colorful and realistic in its way

Back