SM Sunshine ruined?

ToxBox

Power Star
In SM64, SM64DS, SMG/2 it is all same but in SMS, mario carries fludd and lack long jump and no goombas
 

Fawfulfury65

The Last Story
Retired Wiki Staff
SMS is way better than all of them, though, and FLUDD is cool. At least, in my opinion. A lot of people hate SMS for some reason.
 

ToxBox

Power Star
I bought it used and crappy owner scratched it so i plan to buy new and get 30 more shines to beat bowser before april 4
 

FunkyKong84

Blooper
SMS is by far the worst 3D Mario. Sloppy controls, kind of shallow gameplay, repetitiveness and those things mentioned by TC (lack of Koopas and Goombas, fludd) make this game my least favorite in its genre. I 'm not going to say that it's a horrible game, but after I beat Bowser (with 61 sprites) I don't care about going back and finishing all 120 sprites.

I don't know if the fact that I played the game with a third-party GC controller affected my experience, but SMS Mario was the most difficult to control in all Mario games. His physics felt weird, while the lack of the long jump and the complicated backflip gave me a hard time.

Having also played Luigi's Mansion and MKDD, I can utterly say that the Gamecube has been the worst Nintendo console IMO.
 

Garlic Man

Name-change free since 2018

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
FunkyKong84 said:
Having also played Luigi's Mansion and MKDD, I can utterly say that the Gamecube has been the worst Nintendo console IMO.
What in the world are you talking about.
 

Garlic Man

Name-change free since 2018
Having played SSBM


/thread
 

Paper Ray Trace

You Can Tick Off Birds If You Follow My Advice
People also criticized the voice acting, which I fully appreciate actually. Otherwise, I never played the game (only watched my brother play a few parts of it). Super Mario Sunshine actually had a wide influence in later Mario games; for such a "horrid" game, it still gets referenced quite a lot in other games.
 

PokemonMaster

LETS START A NO AVATAR/SIG FAD.
Cosmopolitan said:
People also criticized the voice acting, which I fully appreciate actually. Otherwise, I never played the game (only watched my brother play a few parts of it). Super Mario Sunshine actually had a wide influence in later Mario games; for such a "horrid" game, it still gets referenced quite a lot in other games.
I enjoyed the gameplay but not the enemies. This game was probably the most creative Mario game because of water.
 

Paper Ray Trace

You Can Tick Off Birds If You Follow My Advice
I don't understand why it HAS to be exactly like Super Mario 64. I like innovation. Sometimes, though, the exploitation of the innovation is pretty awful though. Maybe it's like that in Sunshine.
 

Ernest Fine

Dreamboat
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
I enjoyed Sunshine thoroughly.

Herr Shyguy said:
FunkyKong84 said:
Having also played Luigi's Mansion and MKDD, I can utterly say that the Gamecube has been the worst Nintendo console IMO.
What in the world are you talking about.
QFT

Even worse than the Virtual Boy? I loved the GameCube.
 

FunkyKong84

Blooper
Virtual Boy wasn't even released in Europe so I don't count it as a proper Nintendo console.

@Shy Guy: don't tell me you want me to explain you that too :P
 

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
Herr Shyguy said:
FunkyKong84 said:
Having also played Luigi's Mansion and MKDD, I can utterly say that the Gamecube has been the worst Nintendo console IMO.
What in the world are you talking about.
Looks like someone's never played Metroid Prime or F-Zero GX.
 

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Fawfulfury65 said:
A lot of people hate SMS for some reason.
You know how in Super Mario 64 you were free to get some of the power stars in whatever order you wanted? (i.e. In Bob-Omb Battlefield you could get the star in Chain Chomp's cage before fighting the Bob-Omb King.) The only Shine Sprites that can be skipped are the ones in Delfino Plaza and the first one in Bianco Hills.

Too many red coin missions, most of which have a time limit.

The FLUDD-less levels were very hard but still possible.

Introduced Bowser Jr. whom many people hate because they believe he replaced his siblings.

In order to beat the game, you have to complete mission 7 in each world which is kind of easier said than done considering how difficult some of the worlds' sixth missions were.

Also, any reason previously posted (voice acting, lack of classic Mario enemies)
 

Fawfulfury65

The Last Story
Retired Wiki Staff
superjeff64 said:
Fawfulfury65 said:
A lot of people hate SMS for some reason.
You know how in Super Mario 64 you were free to get some of the power stars in whatever order you wanted? (i.e. In Bob-Omb Battlefield you could get the star in Chain Chomp's cage before fighting the Bob-Omb King.) The only Shine Sprites that can be skipped are the ones in Delfino Plaza and the first one in Bianco Hills.

Too many red coin missions, most of which have a time limit.

The FLUDD-less levels were very hard but still possible.

Introduced Bowser Jr. whom many people hate because they believe he replaced his siblings.

In order to beat the game, you have to complete mission 7 in each world which is kind of easier said than done considering how difficult some of the worlds' sixth missions were.

Also, any reason previously posted (voice acting, lack of classic Mario enemies)
Doesn't SMG and SMG2 make you collect the stars in order in a level (at least most of the time)? Beating all the missions up to 7 is a little harder but I see no problem with it because the missions are actually fun IMO. I usually go to beat the main Mario games 100%, too, so it wouldn't matter how the missions were set up because I'd have to do them all anyway.

There's at least one red coin mission in every level, just like in SM64, so you can't say there's too many. The timed ones are a pain, though.

The FLUDD-less levels are awesome. They are challenging, but possible to beat after a few tries.

The enemy thing I can understand, but I never paid much attention to it. Why aren't the Koopalings in it and where are the Goombas? A few different enemies can't ruin the whole experience, though, as long as they don't continue to replace the old ones in later games (the Koopalings came back thankfully).

The voice acting is awesome and I always liked it. Some voices were kind of weird, but it's better than reading speech bubbles.

Overall, I'd actually give this game a 9/10, mainly because the levels are so detailed and I can explore them whenever I want. The Blue Coins are also great because it takes a lot of time to find all 240 of them.
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
FunkyKong84 said:
@Shy Guy: don't tell me you want me to explain you that too :P
No, but both the games you cited as ruining the Gamecube for you were fantastic. DD is particular is the best Mario Kart out there, and Luigi's Mansion was incredibly original and fun.

Also, like other people said, Metroid Prime, Melee, etc.
 

Neptun

Goomba
Cosmopolitan said:
People also criticized the voice acting, which I fully appreciate actually. Otherwise, I never played the game (only watched my brother play a few parts of it). Super Mario Sunshine actually had a wide influence in later Mario games; for such a "horrid" game, it still gets referenced quite a lot in other games.
to be fair, that voice acting in Sunshine was still better than that flood (no pun intended) of words you had to face in Super paper mario.
 

yoshidude99

Yoshidude is here
Super Mario Sunshine had fun boss fights and cool water nozzles but like Tox Box said it has no Goomba's! It would have been fun to see what happened if you squrit Goomba's with water :)
 

Puddin

eat the rich
Nintendo should:

1.) Take the non-FLUDD scene Mario from SMSS and poke him into a full Mushroom Kingdom. (Maybe a redesign of PM64, but not paper or RPG.)
2.) ?
3.) Profit.

Don't get me wrong; Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are nice.
 

FunkyKong84

Blooper
@Shy guy: Yeah Luigi's Mansion and MKDD are great games no doubt. I just consider N64, SNES and Wii games to be better than them.
 

QuizmoManiac

a rhinestone cowboy
I have great memories of this game as a kid so it is my favorite, even though other games are better.
 

Paper Ray Trace

You Can Tick Off Birds If You Follow My Advice
Because of the seemingly tragic way how the FLUDD almost "dies"?
 
Top