Super Mario 3D Land

Smashgoom202 said:
Lumpy Space Princess said:
I don't really like the Boomerang Power. I would've rather seen some SMG powers return like Cloud Mario.
You CLEARLY don't realize just what kind of people this game is appealing to...

Boomerang Mario = Hammer Bros. Suit + new twist

Hammer Bros. Suit = Super Mario Bros. 3

Tanooki Suit = Super Mario Bros. 3

Boom Boom = Super Mario Bros. 3

It's ALL about Super Mario Bros. 3 in this game!
I know, just saying

There will have hammer power up,

Hammer Bro = Hammer Suit

Fire Bro = Fire Flower

Boomerang Bro = Boomerang Mario

It's all about Super Mario Bros. 3, but without the Koopalings. Instead, we get back the False Bowsers. Not that that's a bad thing or anything.

Also, the main theme reminds me to Super Mario Bros. 3.

MnSG said:
It's all about Super Mario Bros. 3, but without the Koopalings. Instead, we get back the False Bowsers. Not that that's a bad thing or anything.

I swear Koizumi hates the Koopalings or something. Junior was in the first Mario Galaxy and that was it, he has not appeared in his games since. The first 7 haven't appeared at all.

False Bowsers are unoriginal and despite the transition to 3D and all the possible puzzles it could bring, I have a feeling they'll get old pretty fast.

This tail thing is also getting a little out of hand. Bob-ombs with tails? False Bowser with a tail? No thanks.

Um, have you not played New Super Mario Bros. Wii? And Junior has appeared in Mario Party DS, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Super Sluggers, New Play Control!: Mario Power Tennis, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Mario Sports Mix after Super Mario Galaxy, so I don't know what the heck you're talking about.

Pinkie Pie said:
Um, have you not played New Super Mario Bros. Wii? And Junior has appeared in Mario Party DS, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Super Sluggers, New Play Control!: Mario Power Tennis, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Mario Sports Mix after Super Mario Galaxy, so I don't know what the heck you're talking about.

None of those (barring the Mario galaxy series) were directed by Yoshiaki Koizumi, the man behind Super Mario Sunshine, the Super Mario Galaxy series and Super Mario 3D Land:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Koizumi

All of his games do not have the Koopalings in them. They instead feature Junior in two (Sunshine & Galaxy 1) but none of the others.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was directed by Shigeyuki Asuke and produced by Takashi Tezuka, the same man who worked on the original Super Mario Bros. TOTALLY different teams. Just because Nintendo makes a Mario game doesn't mean it's by the same group of people.

Look at Mario Kart 7, it's being developed by Retro Studios, the same people behind the Metroid Prime series!

That they did, great game. It was actually challenging which is like a breath of fresh air for the genre. All of the older platformers were challenging too. My friends had such a hard time with the final boss.

Look at Mario Kart 7, it's being developed by Retro Studios, the same people behind the Metroid Prime series!

Eh? Their involvement is limited to making one track and "other Donkey Kong-related assets".

Glowsquid said:

Eh? Their involvement is limited to making one track and "other Donkey Kong-related assets".

Yup. Retro Studios was the company who thought up the Tiki Tak Tribe, and most of the stuff that Donkey Kong Country Returns features. Apart from that, their involvement with the Mario Universe is rather minimal.

I wonder if Nintendo has to go to Retro Studios in order to use any of the enemies or new characters from Donkey Kong Country Returns...

Also, aren't they helping out with Luigi's Mansion 2?

Donkey Kong is ownership of Nintendo, and so is Retro Studios.
That's also the reason why Donkey Kong and Star Fox had to be transfered to Nintendo, back when Microsoft brought Rare.

Here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Studios

YamiHoshi.nl said:
Donkey Kong is ownership of Nintendo, and so is Retro Studios.
That's also the reason why Donkey Kong and Star Fox had to be transfered to Nintendo, back when Microsoft brought Rare.
Well, Retro Studios is a second-party developer, kind of like Intelligent Studios. If there are any games made by them used in another Nintendo game, they are given credit, at least in the credits.

Well for Galaxy 2, I remember that Nintendo released a trailer depicting Luigi as a playable character about a few months prior to the game's release.

For this game, time is growing short, and we have heard nothing about Luigi except for that statue that strongly resembles Luigi. Unless Luigi is a secret character at the end of the game, I am not sure if he will be playable or not. Regardless, the developers did mention that Mario may possibly be not the only playable character in this game...

Glowsquid said:

The site's source doesn't link to anything. Can you post the source?

Leonyx said:
The site's source doesn't link to anything. Can you post the source?

apparently this ("apparently" because it's a 45 mb podcast and fuck if I'm going to trudge through that).

Back