Author Topic: So, what exactly spurred this push for Toadette lately?  (Read 435 times)

BlueFire

• Goomba
    • View Profile
Re: So, what exactly spurred this push for Toadette lately?
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »
I can't say Toadette is indicative of a trend that Nintendo is putting more characters in their games. Pauline is the only other example I can think of, but she hasn't appeared in anything beyond Mario Tennis Aces. Beyond this, Wario, Waluigi, Daisy, Donkey Kong, the babies, and Diddy Kong are still relegated to mainly spinoffs. Heck, I feel Rosalina recently became one of the spinoff regulars.

I don't necessarily think that Nintendo will start using more spinoff characters in future main games, but it is nice to see a spinoff character have more mainline appearances. I do think it's more likely that past enemies/bosses that haven't been used in recent games will probably reappear.

Waluigi is definitely the last one I would expect to even appear in a mainline game. Wario, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong do have their own series and Wario was a playable character in Super Mario 64 DS and Rosalina was a bonus character in 3D World. Even Daisy was playable in Super Mario Run.