Ideas for a following DKC game

Koopa con Carne

call me Hot Lips, 'cause i'm a one-shot wonder
MarioWiki
Koopa con Carne
I am a little surprised that nobody makes any supposition or shares any of their ideas on the vast Internet about a Donkey Kong Country game that could come up next. Well, I am, thus, eager to give out my ideas about it. Below, I'm going to describe a potential storyline and some gameplay elements I'd like to see in the said game. ;)

We all know how the other two DKC games that have been released are akin to the first two titles of the original trilogy - Returns involved the heist of the banana hoard, while Tropical Freeze had vikings, which are similar to pirates that appeared in DKC2 in that they also travel the seas and countries. But what if the new Donkey Kong game was centered on a vacation in Northern Kremisphere again, just like in DKC3 ? Nevertheless, a small yet good change of plot would be much appreciated... The Kong heroes were enjoying themselves in their trip to the aforementioned region of the world, quite far away from their home island. Meanwhile, a forgotten nemesis and his crew, which have stood hidden for a pretty long time, waiting for the Kongs' departure, came back to the stage. Whether you do not have any clue who I am talking about - why, it's King K. Rool and his Kremling regiment ! All this time, they haven't shown up because they were stalking their ultimate prey, Donkey Kong Island. Kopters took important data for every single corner of the island, so as to know where to descent their settlements. Kritters intercepted the data, general Klump commanded the troops, Klaptraps and Krumples worked on and inside machinery, all under the eyes of the supreme girth-girdled leader K. Rool. In fact, they tried the plan from Donkey Kong 64, only enhanced and slightly changed - instead of destroying Donkey Kong Island, they wanted to conquer it just like the Snowmads did.

Alright, so now that the simians were gone on trips, it was time to attack. The Kremlings have risen their own manufactured island again, planning to use it and transform DK Island into a crocodile-propitious land. Squawks the Parrot assisted to the colossal tyrannical act, and decided to fly to his monkey friends to aknowledge them about the desperate situation. Said and done, but there was a slight thing that would make their way home a little bit more difficult... The path through Northern Kremisphere that lead back to Donkey Kong Island was infested with baddies of all sorts (given the fact that Nintendo kinda dislikes the idea of Kremlings, the baddies could represent something else, and the crocs can be saved for the last worlds). So now, they have to take the way back and face the King himself in order to get 'em island !

One element that would be quaint for the player is that DK Island seems to be the last world, but in fact, the last one is Crocodile Isle 2.0, the Kremling's mechanical apparatus with a not so small level of complexity. This idea was also approached in DKC2 with The Flying Krock, and also in Super Mario 3D World with World Bowser.

And now, for the gameplay. The level gameplay could remain constant with the one from the past games. But the level map definitely screams for a slight change. With the game sharing similarities to DKC3, the player can roam freely on the map, whereas on the world map of the said game you could've only swum freely in the water areas. Come on, they could find inspiration from SM3DW again this time ! This game, albeit with Mario (which doesn't matter since Donkey Kong and Mario share the same universe), featured a level map whom the players could explore freely, without being restricted to follow a specific path.

What do you guys say ? Quite a long read, wasn't it ? Well, if you're lazy, I can make a "TL;DR" version of the storyline, otherwise I cannot do the same with the paragraph about gameplay. The Kongs go to a vacation in Northern Kremisphere from DKC3, but find out from Squawks the Parrot that DK Island has been colonized by Kremlings. They start off a new adventure to get back what's theirs. After all, if this plot looks darn similar to the one from Tropical Freeze to you, don't forget that DKC2 and DKC3 had similar plots too. Farewell, Donkey Kong fans! :dk:

Oh, oh, and one more thing. Why wouldn't they create levels that are based on the Mario world ? Why wouldn't they somehow include Super Mario himself in the game ? Those levels can pertain to a certain hidden bonus world, something that you get after beating the final boss. It would be so cool, providing Nintendo also admits that Donkey Kong and Mario are in the same realm, only in places far away from each other. Peace ! :bowser:

I'd like to see Wrinkly return. Since Nintendo likes giving video hints nowadays, they could have Wrinkly give players tips and videos for how to get tricky K-O-N-G letters and whatnot in exchange for banana birds.

Yes ! Great idea ! Wrinkly might work the same as Toad in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, in that she offers the player walkthrough videos in-game. However, she might leave Squawks without a job, since the faithful parrot helped the Kongs find missing Puzzle Pieces in the past titles. But who knows - Squawks might get another role !

C'mon people, speak your mind ! Leave a suggestion or two ! I'm sure everybody would love a new DK canon game. ;D

Well, a giraffe animal buddy was actually considered when the first Donkey Kong Country game was in the works. It is said that this giraffe could help the heroes reach areas high up in the sky, kind of like the floating ropes do in Donkey Kong Land. I am assuming this idea was scrapped due to being too... dissatisfying. However, giraffes could have created a lovely course gimmick, and they could go well with an eventual new game.

I'm surprised this topic is not interesting enough to gain more replies... Do people really expect a new DK game like I do or not ? :-\

I like the idea of DK Isalnd being turned into a crocodile land but it feels like a rehash of Troipical Freeze in that sense. I would personally want to see the entire game to take place on crocodile isle, there's a lot of potential to have a modern DKC game there.

Myrmidon NSY said:
I like the idea of DK Isalnd being turned into a crocodile land but it feels like a rehash of Troipical Freeze in that sense. I would personally want to see the entire game to take place on crocodile isle, there's a lot of potential to have a modern DKC game there.

Indeed ! Thank you for pointing that out: the idea of Kongs coming from far away lands only to re-explore their home island in order to defeat a supreme leader (in this case, K. Rool) would not be appreciated by fans, since it is recycled from Tropical Freeze. Hmmm... There is more thought to be put in this.

In other news, I imagined another idea for this game, which could involve Mario, as I said I would like: what if Big Ape City from DK Land is revived ? A Nintendo Power issue stated that "Cranky used to roll barrels at a plumber in the construction site here." Who doesn't wish for a city-themed world in a DK game ? That would be amazing, and it could pay homage to both the arcade "Donkey Kong" and Game Boy "Donkey Kong Land" (which seems to be neglected by Retro Studios as inspiration source) in more ways than conceivable ! What do you guys think about this, eh ?

Make the game Dixie-only because Dixie is the best Kong

if you know me you know what I'm going to say

I played one and it was sooooo boring I returned it

if and when they make another one I'll only get it if it has Mario in it and isn't boring

I see... the suggestions are now subjective (I mean biased), and that's why Donkey Kong is the central character of such an underrated series. Perhaps this thread can cease and nobody would ooze a single drop of attention towards this action.

Cat Gray said:
if you know me you know what I'm going to say

I played one and it was sooooo boring I returned it

if and when they make another one I'll only get it if it has Mario in it and isn't boring

Which one did you play ?

Cat Gray said:
the Wii one

Err... really ? Although I liked "Donkey Kong Country Returns", as it tried to be as crazy and cartoony as it could with successful results, it's still on the bottom list of my very own top DKC games for some reason; however, I am too frightened to say it was bland... If you're not an admirer of the series, I'd suggest you either try the other games (especially the Wii U one), or keep them untouched.

Super Radio said:
Cat Gray said:
the Wii one

Err... really ? Although I liked "Donkey Kong Country Returns", as it tried to be as crazy and cartoony as it could with successful results, it's still on the bottom list of my very own top DKC games for some reason; however, I am too frightened to say it was bland... If you're not an admirer of the series, I'd suggest you either try the other games (especially the Wii U one), or keep them untouched.

I'm most likely not going to do anything

if you look at a lot of my marioverse posts I can't stand DK at all

although yes I believe it was DKCReturns

Pi said:
Santa said:
Can we have a game with Dixie and Tiny? Just those two? I'd play it.

Yeah... more playable Kongs would be cool.

There's one request I have for all of you, as I did not make it clear from the beginning: please, share ONLY creative ideas for the game, not preferences based on bias. It would be much appreciated if you would follow Magikrazy's and Myrmidon NSY's examples - they thought of elements that would actually improve gameplay, and also the creative side. I don't mean to be rude by saying this, no. However, by just suggesting two really similar characters (Dixie and Tiny) as playable heroes, or by expressing an opinion on the series doesn't really help the conversation, I'm afraid...

I'd also like a game that explains what happened to DK Jr.. Maybe he's actually an incarnation of Diddy.

The return of the Kremling Krew would be a good start. And of course, expand on the Kong choices a tad more, with each one offering his or her own strengths.
  • Donkey Kong
    • Can defeat stronger enemies faster.
    • Can Hand Slap switches.
    • All-around at all other areas.
  • Diddy Kong
    • Can briefly descend slowly with his Rocketbarrel Pack.
    • Can use his Peanut Popgun to stun enemies and hit out of reach switches.
    • Can wall jump.
    • Struggles to defeat stronger enemies.
  • Dixie Kong
    • Can ascend briefly with her ponytail.
    • Has the most accurate underwater controls.
    • Quickest runner.
  • Cranky Kong
    • Can use his cane to get past hazardous terrain, and attack enemies who are normally immune to direct attacks.
    • Defeats stronger enemies the fastest while using his cane.
    • Slowest runner and swimmer.
  • Lanky Kong
    • Can use his arms to attack enemies from a distance, and climb up steep slopes.
    • Fastest swimmer.
    • Can't jump very high.
    • Has the least accurate underwater controls.

Dr. Mario said:
I'd also like a game that explains what happened to DK Jr.. Maybe he's actually an incarnation of Diddy.
DKC's Donkey is DK Jr as an adult :/

Also Super Radio I'd love to hear what your definitions of 'creative', 'bias', and 'opinion' are.

Pi said:
Santa said:
Def 8)

Santa said:
Dr. Mario said:
And other sources say that DK Jr. is his father.

Sources specifically say "DK is Cranky's grandson". While it's easy to extrapolate that if DK Jr. is the original DK (Cranky)'s son, then obviously he must be the current DK's father, they never explicitly mention DK Jr. in this context.

MnSG said:
The return of the Kremling Krew would be a good start. And of course, expand on the Kong choices a tad more, with each one offering his or her own strengths.
  • Donkey Kong
    • Can defeat stronger enemies faster.
    • Can Hand Slap switches.
    • All-around at all other areas.
  • Diddy Kong
    • Can briefly descend slowly with his Rocketbarrel Pack.
    • Can use his Peanut Popgun to stun enemies and hit out of reach switches.
    • Can wall jump.
  • Dixie Kong
    • Can ascend briefly with her ponytail.
    • Has the most accurate underwater controls.
    • Quickest runner.
  • Cranky Kong
    • Can use his cane to get past hazardous terrain, and attack enemies who are normally immune to direct attacks.
    • Defeats stronger enemies the fastest while using his cane.
    • Slowest runner and swimmer.
  • Lanky Kong
    • Can use his arms to attack enemies from a distance, and climb up steep slopes.
    • Fastest swimmer.
    • Can't jump very high.
    • Has the least accurate underwater controls.

Wow ! That's a tad of complication you've got there... and it's great ! Although your ideas are built around a rigorous set of rules that do not disadvantage one character before another, and which are necessary for moral reasons, they could contribute a lot to the diversity of the game and the pleasure of the general public. People ignored Diddy in "Tropical Freeze", having found that Dixie is functioning better than him. But hey, Diddy wall-jumping in a DK game ? I'll straightforwardly take that ! He's a dynamic, athletic monkey, after all.

On the other hand, I am prone to mention that you forgot another disqualifying characteristic of Lanky Kong. You know it: "HE HAS NO STYLE..." and so on.

Dr. Mario said:
Santa said:
Dr. Mario said:
And other sources say that DK Jr. is his father.
Alright, I see Magikrazy kind of generated a small conflict over here. Let me interfere: I personally find it more logical to assume that the current Donkey Kong is actually Cranky's son (Cranky Kong > DK Jr. > DK sounds quite iffy from a chronological point of view, don't you think so?), but I mostly see that as speculation and I don't like speculations over a such a goofy-toned franchise. I think we should all take it as it is: illogical. It's like the fact that Princess Peach, Baby Peach, and Cat Peach can be seen together in one game as separated characters, and nothing is concluded after any of us discovers a fancy theory to explain this fact. Seriously guys, it's just like in cartoons ! Let it be absurd ! But that is another matter of a subject...

Santa said:
Also Super Radio I'd love to hear what your definitions of 'creative', 'bias', and 'opinion' are.

Pi said:
Santa said:
Def 8)

Look. You, along with somebody else, are sharing an opinion regarding Tiny being playable in a game. Let's say I wouldn't like Tiny in the game, since she was very annoying in DK64 (again, that's just an assumption). What do you do ? Start to beat your chest and say that your idea is better because that's how you like it ??! What about me ? What about the others who don't want Tiny, and want Chunky, or Lanky, or even Kiddy (for whoever is unaware of what I'm talking about, these are characters from Donkey Kong games) ! You have to stop being stubborn, and begin thinking of something that everyone likes and is not controversed (if the public is too large and you can't handle a unanimous preference, just address to a smaller public). The more likeable the idea, the more attractive, and people will buy what gets cooked. Then you earn profit. Let's not forget that the customer is always right !

Nevertheless, if you want to oppose my argument by saying that I also give out my own ideas that probably tend to be, let's say, based on my inner wishes, keep in mind that I am actually collaborating with other people on the forum, so as to see what they come up with, as long as it's reasoned (by example, how can we combine our ideas in order to make something cool and memorable ?). After some discussion, we end up with a conclusion, and then pray that Nintendo and Retro Studios see it so that they can give us, a.k.a. the masses, a best-selling game with a lot of fresh and creative content.

Oh, as for creativity... it's all about the imagination running along reasoning, m'boy. :eek:

Hey, Super Radio. I don't believe Fanta and Pi were doing anything wrong. They were just sharing their love of Tiny Kong.

Back