First Mario game(s)

Nightwicked Bowser

Ruinbringer
Wiki Administrator
Pronouns
He/him
Not sure if a thread for this has been made already, (if there has, then the mods can delete this and point me to it). What was the very first game in the Mario franchise game you played, along with any other firsts in specific fields?

Mario Kart: Double Dash was the very first one for me, with the Gamecube being my first console. Outside of Mario Kart, my first traditional Mario game was New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. Super Mario Galaxy was my first 3D Mario platformer and where I really started to delve into the franchise. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story was my first experience with a Mario RPG, although Superstar Saga was the first one I completed.

Honestly I have no idea what my very first Mario game was. Dad had an NES and the first three Super Mario Bros. games on it. Maybe it was one of those? I guess I could go over my first Mario games for the consoles I have.

Wii - Unknown (sorry!)

DS - New Super Mario Bros. (?)

3DS - Super Mario 3D Land

Wii U - Super Mario 3D World

Nintendo Switch - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

My first Mario game was on an emulator!!! SMB 3 on RetroPi, followed by most of the other NES and SNES Mario games on that platform. Once I got my first Nintendo console (2DS), I think Super Mario 3D Land was my first game on there.

IIRC Mario Kart Wii was technically my first but Galaxy 2 was the one that truly pulled me into the series. Other Mario games I played around the time included Galaxy 1, NSMB DS and Wii, Mario Party 9, Super Paper Mario, and Bowsers Inside Story.

Oh, I forgot about the Wii and N64. I had access to these (complicated(?)) for a couple years, starting around the same time I started playing RetroPi. I didn't own them or any of the games, but I had a lot of fun with Mario 64, this was before I knew about MarioWiki etc. so I played through it without any previous knowledge or expertise. I got to the basement by myself, and I think I remember stealing (borrowing?) someone's save file or something to get to second floor. On the Wii I primarily played Wii Sports, but there was Mario Party 8 as well. I didn't play it much, but it was pretty fun. I don't have access to these anymore, but for all I know they're still there.

The original Mario was my first game. My dad bought my sister an me an NES and we played (though we were terrible).

My first Mario game was Mario Kart Wii. I distinctly remember being terrible at it and often driving backwards. I also remember the first time I got 11th place instead of 12th.

I had most of the other Mario games for Wii at the time and also some of the classics on Virtual Console, though Mario Kart Wii was the first one I actually played.

Mario Party 8. (First Mario game in general.)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (First 2D Mario)
Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 64 DS (First 3D Mario)
Paper Mario Sticker Star (First Mario RPG)
Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics and Mario Power Tennis (First Mario Sports games)

New Super Mario Bros was my first, along with Mario Party DS and Mario Kart DS. I remember them very fondly. Many an afternoon was spent playing through my favourite levels with my brothers.

The first Mario game I played was Mario Party 9 back in 2015-2016, and the first Mario games I owned were Mario Kart 8 and New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi Bros. U, back when I got a Wii U in 2016.

New Super Mario Bros was my first, along with Mario Party DS and Mario Kart DS. I remember them very fondly. Many an afternoon was spent playing through my favourite levels with my brothers.
I remember Mario Kart DS. I played that a lot before I moved on to Mario Kart 7 for 3DS. Once I got and played that one Mario Kart DS was rather boring by comparison. But not a bad game for the time it was made. In fact an excellent DS game for when it was made.

I remember Mario Kart DS. I played that a lot before I moved on to Mario Kart 7 for 3DS. Once I got and played that one Mario Kart DS was rather boring by comparison. But not a bad game for the time it was made. In fact an excellent DS game for when it was made.
I did like Mission Mode in Mario Kart DS.

Lots of Wii generation folks, eh? I'm more old school.

My first Mario games were probably, on real N64 console and behind a CRT TV with VHS tapes below, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros. (Mario-related), but I didn't play the platformers, just watched my brother and dad play these. Super Smash Bros. was the game I was most invested in.

Also New Super Mario Bros. for me. I'm a bit surprised that so many people here started around that time, since I thought I remembered the wiki being a lot older than NSMB1, but apparently it's not by as much as I thought; '00s Super Mario Wiki must have just gotten to work fast.

Back